Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I was just wandering how important that is for casual conversation. Because here we have "ć,č,đ,š,ž" but using "c,c,dj,s,z" will do just fine. Sure, it's not OK for something official but for anything else.......In the early days of internet half of the stuff didn't even support our characters. That's the reason why most of us oldtimers are used to type that way even now.
Not to mention that in SMS days any of those characters would take up to 10 letters of you message. Another reason why we were avoiding them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Does the QWERTZ keyboard really have extra keys? I only looked quickly because I didn't find good pictures of both QWERTZ and QWERTY, but it seemed that the the extra keys on the right come as a trade-off with fewer keys on the left, no?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
No, the amount is fixed. QWERTZ has more functions combined to same buttons to make space for extra letters. But the extra letters (ö, ä, ü) have the same positions as in scandic qwerty layout on computers, so it feels more right.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
So if the key layout is the same, and we know the Pro1 is designed to be disassembled easily...

It should be simple enough to have a different regional keyboard design produced as a community project if there were enough interest to make it affordable?

One new set of printing for a molded keyboard membrane, and a new keyboard definition in software?

I'm hazy on the software side, but the mechanical side seems just a question of money, and if the community can't make that work, then it's hard to object to F(x)tec not making it work either, since they probably have to pay their engineers to get things done
(unlike most community projects?)

One might even imagine F(x)tec providing access to the relevant keyboard mechanical design files (under NDA of course), and/or an introduction to their membrane manufacturer? Seems it would be a win/win?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Give away access to one of there main draws to the phone ... probably not gonna happen. Now people hacking together there own is a possibility, but say goodbye to some of that warranty

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Access to the design file of a small piece of silicone rubber or similar. That's not the same thing as the complete design of the keyboard assembly, along with unfettered rights to use it as desired.

At a minimum, it's access to an incomplete graphics layout, and an 'in' to the keyboard manufacturer. The community produces a simple updated graphic and supplies it to the manufacturer along with funding to produce a small run of replacement keyboards. They are of no use at all to anyone who doesn't posess both a Pro1 and a strong desire to type funny characters most of us couldn't pronounce.

Face facts, if the phone was a runaway success, ebay will be full of shoddy replacement keyboard membranes in months. Producing an 'almost right' community version is very possible. The addition of a small bit of support from F(x)tec could mean a 'properly right' version, which can only add to Pro1 sales, with no financial risk and only a small expenditure in time on their part.

I'm not pushing that Fx should support this, I'm only making the case that they could, and they might, if the community got the ball rolling.

Oh, and 2yr warranty... who cares? I'm a hardware engineer. Once a new 'thing' is out of it's box, and I've satisfied myself everything works as intended, then conceptually the warranty is void. I might disassemble, modify or break the thing the same day, not for months, or (rarely) never. But I don't I ever even stopped to think about the warranty

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Access to the design file of a small piece of silicone rubber or similar. That's not the same thing as the complete design of the keyboard assembly, along with unfettered rights to use it as desired.

At a minimum, it's access to an incomplete graphics layout, and an 'in' to the keyboard manufacturer. The community produces a simple updated graphic and supplies it to the manufacturer along with funding to produce a small run of replacement keyboards. They are of no use at all to anyone who doesn't posess both a Pro1 and a strong desire to type funny characters most of us couldn't pronounce.

Face facts, if the phone was a runaway success, ebay will be full of shoddy replacement keyboard membranes in months. Producing an 'almost right' community version is very possible. The addition of a small bit of support from F(x)tec could mean a 'properly right' version, which can only add to Pro1 sales, with no financial risk and only a small expenditure in time on their part.
This actually sounds very plausible. I'm even more positive about this phone now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hagiz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
No, the amount is fixed. QWERTZ has more functions combined to same buttons to make space for extra letters. But the extra letters (ö, ä, ü) have the same positions as in scandic qwerty layout on computers, so it feels more right.
Alright. As a user of the US_International layout (my language contains çéèàúêôîïëæœ but they are all possible with this layout), I think the Qwerty keyboard will be the best as long as dead keys can work, because it seems the corresponding keys are roughly positioned the same was as in a standard ANSI keyboard.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Oh, and 2yr warranty... who cares? I'm a hardware engineer. Once a new 'thing' is out of it's box, and I've satisfied myself everything works as intended, then conceptually the warranty is void. I might disassemble, modify or break the thing the same day, not for months, or (rarely) never. But I don't I ever even stopped to think about the warranty
Confirming that,
Two of us exist.

Best regards to those who do worry about warranty issues.

...but living on the 'bleeding edge' is a rush of its own.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Visa declined here as well, and I don't have another card to "try" on the side...

I contacted my bank and they'll be looking into it, but no clue when...

@Chen: I take it there's possible improvements to be made on the payment side
Any idea as to what is causing trouble for so many of us ?

There's been talks about the delayed payment being troublesome, but according to my bank, when the payments are authorized, the timeframe is not really taken into account (obviously there might be trouble if it happens years later ).

Edit, 1.5 hour later: it went through, after the bank had to circumvent whatever security they have in place that was blocking the payment in the first place.
Now is a good opportunity to use the term
emotional rollercoaster...

Last edited by British; 2019-08-01 at 08:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit