Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I'm mostly a classical clarinet fan, but I appreciate 20th-21st century wind band repertoire. Mozart's clarinet is a favorite of mine, too. Von Weber's quintet is also very nice, but less performed. And I loved my salad days in marching band playing that stuff, as well.

And I like jazz, but it's not my strength, since jazz programs around here focus on saxes, and only the clarinet as "doublers". Take that Benny Goodman, Sidney Bechet, Artie Shaw, Pete Fountain, I suppose . . .

I can definitely see where that comes from. But in North America, I think the most likely association with "Fat Boy" would be a mid-sized Harley-Davidson motorcycle. But the "Fat Boy" of my post is a big ol' Canadian clarinet barrel:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dafb968_4k.jpg

. . . seen here next to the original barrel supplied with the ancient French LeBlanc "Double L" clarinet from the early 1960s. I don't know its actual age, the internet serial number checkers don't report from my instrument's vintage. All I known is it was old enough when I got it, that the grenadilla wood it was made of was probably put up for aging in oil before WWII.

Happily, my daughter took up the clarinet in 5th grade. Unhappily, that year lead directly into the global pandemic. So her development in the instrument (and the rest of her age group) has been delayed by the global plague. As a clarinet playing parent, I've done my best, but it's not the same as "normal times".
Thanks for sharing. How does having the Fat Boy effect the sound? I have not heard Von Weber' piece. Will check out. Also enjoy jazz. Lately I've been playing Dave Brubeck's Take Five. Trying to figure out a nice solo for it. That might be fun to play on clarinet.

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
My dad had a jazz band with his name. He played contra bass. Stopped before I was born. But I listened jazz a lot when a kid. All my dad's lps and recorded on tape the best plays.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Thanks for sharing. How does having the Fat Boy effect the sound? I have not heard Von Weber' piece. Will check out. Also enjoy jazz. Lately I've been playing Dave Brubeck's Take Five. Trying to figure out a nice solo for it. That might be fun to play on clarinet.
I think the Fatboy, due to the larger mass of wood, is more resonant than a more traditionally proportioned barrel. I'm definitely gonna have to make some recordings to test if this is reality or psychology on my part!

In a documentary about Stradivarius violins they recorded violin with microphones all over the room and then looked the sound waves with colors. The sound of stradivarius violin made big sound bursts much further from the violin compared to normal/extremely good violins. It may be difficult to really be able to study how much there is difference without really good equipments. Meaning even if you could not prove your cas it doesn't matter the proofs are not there.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If an alien civilization showed up on our door steps we should definitely try with music rather than trying to talk em down .

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If an alien civilization showed up on our door steps we should definitely try with music rather than trying to talk em down .
Well, if music is truly the universal language we should be in good shape!

Yeah, some gangsta rap with ghetto blaster would make a good impression.

How about Neo Soul...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would like the Terminator intro with a Mega speaker built-in in a 40 yards mega terminator slowly moving towards the aliens. Just to be on the safe side. we don't know the intensions.

If they don't destroy it within 1 min we can switch to something of your choosings.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Have you Dave seen the Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy BBC serie?

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson