Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
From the #sailfishos-porters irc:

[23:42:19] <sledges> early testers welcome, please feedback things i obviously forgot (guide is ready only until the first dhd build): https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish..._iknewyoudlook

Also this seems noteworthy:

[23:51:20] <mal> sledges: nice
[23:52:18] <sledges> thanks community will be able to bake images for other sony open devices by *just* adding their/family repos to manifest and tweaking configs for pixel ratio

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
From the #sailfishos-porters irc:

[23:42:19] <sledges> early testers welcome, please feedback things i obviously forgot (guide is ready only until the first dhd build): https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish..._iknewyoudlook

[23:52:18] <sledges> thanks community will be able to bake images for other sony open devices by *just* adding their/family repos to manifest and tweaking configs for pixel ratio
Well, I was able to follow the guide so far. (built hybris-boot.img and hybris-recovery.img) The next thing to do is create a Kickstart File I believe.... No idea how.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to one_with_linux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
[OT!]

Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I feel I have to object to this. This article is just an abbreviation of some study with no mention of the whole test setup. While I think talking on the phone is distracting somehow, I personally feel more in track when talking on the phone with my hands ready to use on gearstick, turning light and wiper switches. Dialing a number is voice controlled by the cars entertainment system, for picking up and dialing I don't even need to remove my hands from the steering wheel as there are buttons there.
True, dialing can be dangerous and I have experienced it as dangerous myself as well. It's about the need to focus I think.

About the study itself: absolutely true. No studies which do not provide relevant background facts or have been done with a flawed initial setting are to be trusted. I remember one study that came to the conclusion that electric cars pollute more than fuel cars, but then I read that they calculated that by assuming the electricity that the car needs comes from fossil fuels (they assumed it comes mostly from coal) and something in the battery technology they used in the study was outdated and does not represent today's electric cars... So, yeah. That study was done in Norway by the way.

Besides: they haven't compared it to talking to someone in the car. The outcome of that comparison would be close to the same, especially if you have kids in the car constantly babbling and screaming. Even with a wife next to you, who is probably responding in a decent manner an listening while you talk, the distraction is only dampened by the fact, that she is also looking on the street ahead
Yes, very true, and the study could be expanded in that way. I have had some close calls because I was too focused on what others in the cars are saying. So, now I do not focus on what they say anymore Sure my responses are not thought out but at least I don't kill anyone.

Another sidenote: I especially find people funny that are talking holding the phone a bit away from the head and using speakers instead of the earpiece (in German "hands-free" translates more like non-attached)
Hey, I use that! It's so convenient because you can put down the phone somewhere and still hear what the caller is saying. Especially useful in the house for example if you want to cook and still want to talk with someone on the phone

In the car... well yeah, it doesn't give as much advantages because you actually have to still hold the phone in your hand. If I could attach the phone to the steering wheel... I would still talk on the phone only when absolutely necessary though.

[/OT]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave

I read this the way, that Sailfish X will definitely run (with Alien Dalvik and Exchange support) on the Xperia compact even when it is not officially supported (yet). Or have I misunderstood that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I read this the way, that Sailfish X will definitely run (with Alien Dalvik and Exchange support) on the Xperia compact even when it is not officially supported (yet). Or have I misunderstood that.
If I understand it correctly it just makes porting sailfish os to other xperias really easy. Inofficial ports are still not allowed to bundle aliendalvik afaik.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by one_with_linux View Post
Jolla posted:

The Link in the text "writing to us" is incorrectly formatted. It should be a link to the email I posted above. (At least that's what the HTML code looks like to me)

I'm not saying spam the guy. I'm saying email the guy to "register your interest" if you want to build Sailfish images.
The "email" is probably formatted that way to discourage people from e-mailing just now. I am sure that they will edit it with a proper mailto: link when they want people to contact them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
If I understand it correctly it just makes porting sailfish os to other xperias really easy. Inofficial ports are still not allowed to bundle aliendalvik afaik.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
But if it is that easy like described, than it makes no sense not to offer SF X for more devices than Xperia X anyway.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
But if it is that easy like described, than it makes no sense not to offer SF X for more devices than Xperia X anyway.
They've hinted multiple times that there are plans to do just that

Their priority right now is getting the Xperia X to run and after that they can work on getting other devices to work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
They've hinted multiple times that there are plans to do just that
I know, but they also told, that it depends on the success of the Xperia X campaign and I'm convinced the campaign would be more successful, if they woulf tell us:

"XPeria X is first but these 2 devices will also be supported later on.
So you can buy SF X now and use it for the other devices, as soon as it is ported for them."

I am, for example. not interested in the Xperia X, because I plan to buy the livermorium device. But if they already would announce, that they will support the Xperia X compact, I would buy Sailfish X because I'm really interested in having a device with a smaller form factor besides the quite large livermorium.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I know, but they also told, that it depends on the success of the Xperia X campaign and I'm convinced the campaign would be more successful, if they woulf tell us:

"XPeria X is first but these 2 devices will also be supported later on.
So you can buy SF X now and use it for the other devices, as soon as it is ported for them."

I am, for example. not interested in the Xperia X, because I plan to buy the livermorium device. But if they already would announce, that they will support the Xperia X compact, I would buy Sailfish X because I'm really interested in having a device with a smaller form factor besides the quite large livermorium.
But hey have also said, they didn't want to make any promises until they have tested things. What's the point to say they will support something if they have no actual data/test to show that it would be guaranteed to work.

We've known Jolla to make lovely promises and sometimes not deliver on them, I don't mind them being a bit more cautious but making sure what they say is what they do.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x