Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
...there shouldn't be anything stopping folks from creating their own personal front-ends to the IR control system.
Unless you have no coding skills.

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
thanks.. its the only ir app that works...
I have a question...
is it just me or n900's ir doesn't work's more then 5 ft
What keyset and equipment are you controlling?

Although I have to be fairly accurate I get at least 16 feet on the keysets I am using.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2012-02-19 at 14:30.

no I haven't tested it on any device yet since I am away home rite nw.. I just tested that this app is working via CAMERA.. but before. this app only ir widget worked for me and I used it on my 27" Sony.. it worked but never more then 5ft...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I've pretty much given up on creating any automation for converting the existing config files. Trying to pull codes out of the LIRC data is surprisingly painful, as I've probably explained earlier. With the amazing collection of settings, formats, and options available, no two LIRC config files are the same, even when they describe the same data. The JP1 data is somewhat better, but is split between two or three different competing formats (and has even less coordination than the LIRC does).

Moreover, I'm really not trying to do what either of these two groups do -- I don't want to bother trying to emulate individual remote controls. It is easy to see that many devices share the same IR "language", and I don't see why an intelligent remote control app couldn't take advantage of that fact. So I'm trying to create these "keysets", which are synthetic combinations of compatible remote control languages.

I guess, In short, you could say I'm playing around with the data as I enter it.

Once the backend code crystallizes a bit more, it should be easier to construct a method to enter in remote codes. But I don't think it will ever be as easy to do in Pierogi as it is with LIRC or JP1...
And that is probably the main reason that pierogi is better than those other applications. Continue on that track. One thing that could be very useful is to document the process of converting remotes to pierogi's format in the wiki. So maybe other users can contribute keysets.

Finally, on the ui side, I believe QML would be ideal for pierogi. Changing labels, and even layouts is easier than ever.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
One thing that could be very useful is to document the process of converting remotes to pierogi's format in the wiki. So maybe other users can contribute keysets.
The one thing I can say about contributing keysets is that I've been trying to make Pierogi conform to the original manufacturer's protocols. This means that the actual numeric values intended for each command are used, and Pierogi does any necessary conversions or manipulations necessary to construct the associated infrared pulses.

In most protocols, you'll have a combination of a "device code" and a "command code". For example, there's an excellent collection of the Sony codes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/, the only downside of which is that they don't keep track of which commands are associated with which devices. (This isn't as big a problem for Sony as for other manufacturers, as Sony does an amazing job of maintaining backwards-compatibility.) If you take a look at their television codes, you'll see they are arranged in tables, with each table labeled with a device code, and each row labeled with a command code. These device/command integers are exactly the ones used in Pierogi.

Finally, on the ui side, I believe QML would be ideal for pierogi. Changing labels, and even layouts is easier than ever.
Ah, as someone fluent in C++, I've gotta admit that I'm quite comfortable with the classic Widget system. But yeah, it should be quite possible to place other front-ends onto Pierogi...

Tried sony tv keysets but it didnt work. Remote control is Sony RM-GA002. I will try other keysets and see if it works. Btw, very intuitive UI

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hermes040 View Post
Sharing a bad experience with Pierogi :

So the lesson: Don't play with other people's devices

Ahhahhahahaaaha hahahaha...haahhahahhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah ahahaa. *cough cough* *splutter splutter* *drops dead*

That's the funniest things I've heard all morning. Thanks for the laugh. I can just imagine the conversation between you and your mate. It would be along the lines of...

You: Check out how awesome my n900 is *turns off monitor*
Mate: Cool, what else can it do?
You: *click click click*
TV: *flash flash flash*
Mate: Ermmm, is it supposed to do that???
You:*runs and hides*

Anyway, so you don't think I'm a ******. have you tried power cycling the monitor? In normal circumstances, that should restart everything back to normal.

Good luck.
Fred

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
Tried sony tv keysets but it didnt work. Remote control is Sony RM-GA002.
Yes, other people have mentioned that the Sony TV keysets are not working. I went through them with a fine-toothed comb today, and I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. From every source I've got, the data looks right. The commands being sent to the IR device driver look right. I have no trouble controlling my Sony DVD player, which uses the same protocol (although not the same keyset).

I'm stumped. There's something very strange going on here...

Originally Posted by fffffred View Post
Anyway, so you don't think I'm a ******. have you tried power cycling the monitor? In normal circumstances, that should restart everything back to normal.
Actually, if I'm interpreting the series of events correctly, the TV/Monitor has been switched to an input port that isn't currently connected to anything. Most TVs and monitors I've seen will maintain the input setting through a power cycle. You have to manually change the input back to a port that is connected before you'll see anything. (Unplugging might work, though...)

I would love to get confirmation from someone whether the Input key is not letting you toggle back to the original input port on that TV. I'm not absolutely sure at this point whether the key means different things to different LG tvs or not...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I just tested the logitech keyset. The keys that exist work fine, but I am missing the function that switches between inputs. Is it present on the config file? If it is and you fancy adding it, please do.

Another device for your list is the epson TW-700 projector.

Thanks again

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Another Pierogi update is now making its way into the extras-devel repository. The big news this time is that it is now more memory efficient! Through the simple expedient of not initializing keyset data until absolutely necessary, much less space is used. I would now say Pierogi has moved from being "Extravagantly Wasteful" to "Merely Inefficient".

This still isn't a full-fledged keyset management scheme, but it's a decent first step. And at around 10% of memory, Pierogi is getting closer to being widgetizable.

However, this required a fairly massive amount of code modification, so be warned -- there are likely more bugs in this update than normal!

In other news, I believe I have fixed a bug in the Sky/Sky+ protocol, so those keysets may work better now. Also, made a first pass at keysets for HP and Motorola.

(On HP -- some of the config files for HP remotes were using plain vanilla Microsoft MCE codes, and some were using a slightly modified MCE keyset. The HP keyset in Pierogi is just the modified one, so you may need to try both Microsoft and HP to find one that works for you.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control