Having wifi on alone shouldn't drain the battery that much, my N800 can stay connected to wifi for days between charges. I never put it in offline mode.

It's only when you're using wifi to do something (surf the web, automatically check RSS feeds, listen to internet radio etc) that it should drain the battery significantly.

The one thing you should NEVER do if you want to save power is switch the tablet off, because switching the tablet back on again uses a lot of battery life.

I do have it set to use virtual memory. Does this drain the battery more then not using virtual memory ??
Try switching virtual memory off and see how long the battery lasts.

Try taking the cards out completely and see how long the battery lasts.

That should tell you if the cards and/or virtual memory are the source of the problem.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-05-31 at 11:15.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I've had the same problem with battery drain all of a sudden, also. I have either two 2G SD cards or a new 16G card, problem seems the same. I suspected booting from SD but wasn't sure.
I have a USB charger at work, and unless I disable wifi, the battery will be dead at the end of the day WITH the trickle charge. I hadn't put much thought into diagnosis so I hadn't posted anything. I have started booting from MMC, so I thought it could be something there, but it looks like the OP isn't doing that.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
...I have started booting from MMC, so I thought it could be something there, but it looks like the OP isn't doing that.
MMC does NOT drain battery, coming soon to a theatre near you........

Everything you want to know about tablet and your battery, part II, I am working on it. My data suggested MMC booting has nothing to do with battery draining. With everything I read from this post, I would kill meta clawler and see how it goes.

bun

I do have it set to use virtual memory. Does this drain the battery more then not using virtual memory ??
In my experience, yes. And also be sure to turn off the virtual memory option if you even remove that SD card.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by fibroman View Post
Hi. My Nokia N800 seems to have a real bad battery drain and I can't figure out why. It drains real fast when using wifi....
Wifi cuts battey life into a little bit more than half. No Wife, ave use 8.5hr; with wifi, ave use 4.0hr, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20117.

bun

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cambridge, UK
I had this problem and realised eventually that the FM Radio was on, but as I don't use the headphones often did not notice.

Also I use the Bluetooth enable/disable script to force this off too as it seemed to default to on sometimes on power-up without showing the B icon when in on-line.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
No Wife, ave use 8.5hr
LOL,
8.5 hours on the NIT when the wifes not about.

The Following User Says Thank You to kudos1uk For This Useful Post:
Explains why I have such good battery life then; no wife.

@Grayman: It really does seem that BT uses negligible power when not connected; I don't mess with disabling it anymore. The FM radio is a killer; it's easy to leave it on, as you found out, and it also abuses the output mode switching such that BT headsets don't work. I haven't installed it since my last flash.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
MMC does NOT drain battery, coming soon to a theatre near you........

Everything you want to know about tablet and your battery, part II, I am working on it. My data suggested MMC booting has nothing to do with battery draining. With everything I read from this post, I would kill meta clawler and see how it goes.

bun
For what it's worth, I wasn't implying the MMC uses more memory inherently. I was more leaning towards some minor error in the boot from flash error (until reading that the OP wasn't dual booting). Or after reading up on the metacrawler, there may be some conflict with the multiple partitions on the MMC cards.
I've disabled the metacrawler and will see how it goes.
Code:
update-rc.d metalayer-crawler remove
There are plenty of reports of boot from MMC requiring fsck (scan and repair), and even extended MMC frequently getting corrupt. If metacrawler has issues with corrupt disks, then the two contribute equally to the issue.
Code:
fsck /dev/mmcblk?p?
As mentioned I've disabled the metacrawler and time will tell.
[edit] That seems to have fixed it. Before offline and locked screen would still give me a dead battery by morning, now 12 hours and no noticable drain. Yea! I don't have to live from power supply to power supply within 2 hours. I don't think I'll miss metacrawler, I use file manager to launch my music anyway. [/edit]

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2008-06-03 at 13:17.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
in my experience, powerlaunch can increase the overall battery drain.

but i dont recall it ever draining as much as seems to be the case here...

also, there now is a service/daemon/task manager available.

the package name is maemo-control-services.