Active Topics

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Or closed up If a successful company like Pebble is closing shop, what makes an underdog like Jolla think that they can do it better? It's not like they've been known for a solid business strategy.
I wouldn't call them successful if they were heavily in debt.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
They did generate a lot of interest and quite loyal and active user and developer communities... basically everything apart from the finances was good!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Screen less watch yay..... what?
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-s...n-less_id88795

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
Honestly, I would welcome that. Not because it bucks the trend, but because I have like at least 3 use cases that warrant no screen on my wrist but connects to my devices that I already own or will own.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
Smartwatch sales seem to be tanking across the board, it kinda sucks when your only product turns out to be something of a fad.

This is interesting, over time I expect your brain would become accustomed to the sensation and it would just become something of a spider sense.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
This is interesting, over time I expect your brain would become accustomed to the sensation and it would just become something of a spider sense.
Yes, and in the reality you'd just know what the time and direction is, without putting any concious effort in it. This way subtle haptics which directly convey information to your skin work; with vision you have to concentrate to the task of looking at the device which takes your attention off any other tasks you are supposed to be doing.

Now how cool is that!

Some time back there was an experiment which gave people magnetic orientation sense, by means of a belt/gridle that you wear under your shirt and which would give you clues of earths magnetic field (and other fields around you) by sublimely tickling your body. What the researchers found out was that after some time people were able to navigate around using that magnetic sense without really feeling it as haptics at all, instead of that they simply knew what the magnetic environment around them was.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I would not say it is impossible but I remain skeptical. Rather than "wow, what a revolutionary idea", I see it as yet another novelty "<device> without a <defining feature>" conceived by yet another wannabe Steve Jobs.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I just want a more stable sailfish os with majority of modern functions and better native app support (like the email client) looks like Jolla is doing everything but my wish.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2016-12-08 at 21:38.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Or closed up If a successful company like Pebble is closing shop, what makes an underdog like Jolla think that they can do it better? It's not like they've been known for a solid business strategy.
I often wonder about how Jolla keeps going with all their financial issues and no product taking off. I hope they pull through and make headway maybe Russia offers hope.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
I guess it's "angel investors" who are taking a punt. Look at how much the successful smartphone ecosystems are making, and you can see why a system that is 'nearly there' makes a tempting (even if high risk) investment. Google and Apple might seem to have it sewn up, but so did Nokia once. Perhaps there's an opening particularly in an era when privacy concerns seem to be in the ascendant.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post: