Active Topics

I am one of the new N800 users that are SUPPOSED to help take the N8x0 mass-market (my christmas present). This after watching a review of the N810 on the Attack of the Show where it was recommended only for geeks. (jeeeez, if only I listened!).

This has to be one of the most unsuitable presents l have ever given myself. This thing is a good gadget BUT only intended of geeks or people who intend to bury their heads in forums such as internettablettalk all day.

I have NEVER had a problem installing programs on my previous palm,series 60 or even windows mobile handhelds but with the N800? Big Chore. I even had to check the forums to fiind out why i could not download and install programs. And, to discover that it was because of a missing (i)? Embarassing!!!

Can someone suggest a 'user friendly' alternative to the N8*0? I am starting think that the OQO will be more accessible.

New N800 user

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by KAYZAI View Post
I am one of the new N800 users that are SUPPOSED to help take the N8x0 mass-market (my christmas present). This after watching a review of the N810 on the Attack of the Show where it was recommended only for geeks. (jeeeez, if only I listened!).

This has to be one of the most unsuitable presents l have ever given myself. This thing is a good gadget BUT only intended of geeks or people who intend to bury their heads in forums such as internettablettalk all day.

I have NEVER had a problem installing programs on my previous palm,series 60 or even windows mobile handhelds but with the N800? Big Chore. I even had to check the forums to fiind out why i could not download and install programs. And, to discover that it was because of a missing (i)? Embarassing!!!

Can someone suggest a 'user friendly' alternative to the N8*0? I am starting think that the OQO will be more accessible.

New N800 user
Sorry to hear you are dissatisfied KAYZAI. I share the sentiments of ACIV above (with the exception of the true laptop replacement comment).

The N800 is an awesome gadget for certain people. I'm happy to be one of them. Thanks to Nokia for this device. Nothing is perfect, the N800 isn't perfect either but it is a great device.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
The N800 is an awesome gadget for certain people. I'm happy to be one of them. Thanks to Nokia for this device. Nothing is perfect, the N800 isn't perfect either but it is a great device.
It's not that the internet tablets are bad products, but they are marketed as mainstream consumer products while they are not. Nokia should be more clear about that. Also those gadget blogs with shallow and uncritical paid-for reviews create wrong expectations.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-06 at 22:59.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
And, to discover that it was because of a missing (i)? Embarassing!!!
No, this is not an accurate statement. repository.maemo.org was down and/or broken during most of the holiday period. A user inadvertently stumbled on stage.maemo.org by misspelling repository (as seeming almost any *.maemo.org will redirect to stage.maemo.org if it doesn't already exist—in the case of garage.maemo.org, etc). stage.maemo.org is maemo's internal staging repository for testing things before they go live, and shouldn't actually be exposed to the internet at large.

Really, this isn't the sort of user experience you should expect from the product. This was a short-lived issue that happened to coincide rather unfortunately with the holiday season and its influx of new users.

New N800 user
Well I feel the same. You can do the WM iPaqs, they do offer a bunch of new features if your last WM device was 2003SE or earlier. There are a host of new apps available to help out with web use too, such as Opera for WM. The N800 will still support more and have a better screen, though. The OQO is fine, but the battery life isn't all that great, and the price is off the chart compared to other UMPCs. A Fujitsu U810 might be better if you can deal with the much bigger size, or smaller still is the Raon Everun. The price of the Everun is fantastic, and the battery life is very good. It was my next choice after the N800, but the Nokia won on cost. Now the iPaq 111 is on my short list after I return the N800. It will do nicely, and I already bring a laptop to job sites and customer offices for major work on their networks. So I don't need full functionality out of my uberportable. Just music, occasional browsing, and navigation. The notes app is also something I miss from my RX3715...
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
Why can't (forgive my ignorance) Apps be zipped with the libraries required to make them run?
Sometimes they are, but if every app did this you'd end up downloading the same libraries over and over again, wasting bandwidth/storage/etc.

The repositories just need to be taken better care of.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by dblank View Post
Sometimes they are, but if every app did this you'd end up downloading the same libraries over and over again, wasting bandwidth/storage/etc.

The repositories just need to be taken better care of.
Exactly. Hopefully user outrage will finally encourage developers to upload things to extras where, if the user requires additional dependencies, they can also be found.

Nokia have appeared reluctant to take a lead on this due to not wanting to "impose" order and limit people's options. However, there's a strong argument that the next release should make it *much* harder to add third party repositories, enable extras by default and make extras-devel available but disabled.

An auto-build system like mud-builder should then be responsible for building all the packages in extras and developers should expect pain, gnashing of teeth and wailing if they release sub-standard packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
For the whiners and moaning noobs around about.

Most of the whining here seems to be from first time or cross over linux users whining and moaning that there new N8x0 dont install apps the way bimbows does. And that nokia is some how responsible for educating them on how to use linux.

Linux isnt Windows, so stop moaning and whining about how you just dont get it. Either get with the program and learn the basics of linux and stop "expecting" everything to work the way your use to, and everyone to wipe your *** along every step of the way.

(recomends "Linux for Dummies")

And if you cant or dont want to learn, then get rid of the tablet on ebay and give someone else who has taken the time to learn the basics a chance to own a cheap second user unit.

Just because your cant be arsed or bother trying to figure it all out.
dos'nt give you any right to come onto forums like this *****ing and moaning at the very people who spend a lot of time bringing you the free apps and software you use.

If your not willing to learn how it works, or what you need to make it work, or even want to find out howto, you dont deserve to have a N8*0.

One option for your whining and moaning would be to open a free blog or forum of your own to ***** on. You could ***** and moan to your hearts content about your own short comings and no one would complain because no one would be there to listen to you rant on about how stupid you are.

Nokia has given us a powerfull platform to work with with here and unlike Mr iphone Jobs at least its open and not going to turn into a brick unless Iam realy stupid.

Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to learning linux ! As is self evident by the most simple of things your haveing problems with. (dep's) Iam supprised that you even figured out how to switch it on.

No seriously !

Bod.

"When the bell rings, you better come out fighting. Because I sure will !"

Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
I don't know why I have to look elsewhere for missing libraries that then aren't compatible with OS2008.Why can't (forgive my ignorance) Apps be zipped with the libraries required to make them run?
Because the repository system is superior to what you are suggesting in terms of memory, ease of use, security and download size... when the system works. It really is a nice system and it's truly unfortunate that we're having these problems: the servers shouldn't be down and having to hunt for libraries is just unacceptable.

Now that libsoup came up: If anyone is interested in a fairly easy packaging/maintaining exercise, I'm guessing Inz (of maemo-hackers.org) wouldn't mind if someone wants to take his libsoup packages + the few dependencies and maintain it at garage (and upload to extras):
http://maemo-hackers.org/ticket/52

Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to learning linux ! As is self evident by the most simple of things your haveing problems with. (dep's) Iam supprised that you even figured out how to switch it on.

Really helpful post - give me moaners any day rather than arrogant rantings!