Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Not sure why this was moved to Off Topic; General was appropriate. Moving back.
So this thread is now officially a yo-yo

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
So this thread is now officially a yo-yo
I hope not.

Caller ID is an idea. Nokia obviously owns one (of many other owned by others) patents for how to make a working Caller ID in a cell phone. Apple has shamelessly and unlawfully used Nokias patent. Now they must pay
Well, how do you prove the patent is broken? You may use official documentation, original source code, maybe disassemble?

Depending on how the patent applications were filled, it may be very difficult not to brake any patent while designing any type of device today.

Big corporations have a long history of filling applications that are almost equal to the general idea (or trivially different). You may check the IBM patent used to pin down Sun Microsystems over RISC?

In this particular case I can bet that is the case. It would be very interesting to see how they have proved their claims.

EDIT: I don't like Apple because of it's business model, but I dislike patents even more.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Well, how do you prove the patent is broken? You may use official documentation, original source code, maybe disassemble?

Depending on how the patent applications were filled, it may be very difficult not to brake any patent while designing any type of device today.

Big corporations have a long history of filling applications that are almost equal to the general idea (or trivially different). You may check the IBM patent used to pin down Sun Microsystems over RISC?

In this particular case I can bet that is the case. It would be very interesting to see how they have proved their claims.

EDIT: I don't like Apple because of it's business model, but I dislike patents even more.
It depends on the patent. The Caller ID may be tied directly to the GSM standard that Nokia developed (with others I must add). But I have never read a Nokia Caller ID patent, so I have no idea of the specifics.

You have to remember that Nokia (and Samsung and (Sony) Ericsson) have developed a large amount of what we today consider prior art regarding mobile technology. They have patents in every aspects of this technology from chips to radio transmission standards to production processes to encryption algorithms and so on.

I think you are thinking of software patents more than patents in general. Pure software patents are hard to get because in programming there is generally no inventive steps involved other than obvious steps (non-inventive steps), and you cannot get a patent on abstract matters and ideas. Software patents are very often tied to hardware and physical processes of some kind, for instance data transmission, encryption, storage and so on. Software is protected by copyright, programming is (usually) a creative process rather than an inventive process.

It depends on the patent. The Caller ID may be tied directly to the GSM standard that Nokia developed (with others I must add). But I have never read a Nokia Caller ID patent, so I have no idea of the specifics.

You have to remember that Nokia (and Samsung and (Sony) Ericsson) have developed a large amount of what we today consider prior art regarding mobile technology. They have patents in every aspects of this technology from chips to radio transmission standards to production processes to encryption algorithms and so on.

I think you are thinking of software patents more than patents in general. Pure software patents are hard to get because in programming there is generally no inventive steps involved other than obvious steps (non-inventive steps), and you cannot get a patent on abstract matters and ideas. Software patents are very often tied to hardware and physical processes of some kind, for instance data transmission, encryption, storage and so on. Software is protected by copyright, programming is (usually) a creative process rather than an inventive process.
Well, that is correct as long as the EU is the battleground. In this case I believe the trial has started in the US, which means software patents are at their best.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I think Theodore owns the caller id patent.

Before we look into the details of the lawsuit and settle we can never be sure what exactly in Nokia was infringed.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Slashgear have offered an interesting take on the original endgadget article. They had a whole bunch of additional text HERE Nokia's "forward looking" plan and ensuing caveats include, what in my mind reads as very much leaving open the option to dump MS if their own in-house stuff proves better. It also makes mention of a few other things relating to their technology arms and patent revenue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Depends on who paid what:

"Nokia said its agreement with Apple consisted of a one-off payment, the value of which was not disclosed, and ongoing royalties."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13759612

But I'd hazard a guess that it's Apple paying Nokia.
Don't people read the first post in a thread?

"Apple payments to Nokia settle all litigation and have positive financial impact" and so on -

a one-off payment by Apple, plus royalties on every device sold, is Apple paying Nokia - no guesswork necessary. Duh!
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
Unbelievable! Apple is such an idiot that could not create the caller ID itself!?
They probably could, but then it would most likely only work between iphones.