Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Actually, there is a point to speculation: so that Jolla knows what will happen when/if they fail to deliver a fully open phone
Yeah, I'm sure that Jolla has someone monitoring this thread to help determine their strategic direction...

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following User Says Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Reported this thread to be closed.. Nothing new will come out of it that hasn't been already said.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
REALLY? REALLY?
Are you srsly trying to suggest we haven't learnt a **** load more about their approach since July 2012 when we 1st heard about them? What about all the **** we learnt just before/after Slush?
Just because you have some kind of short --> long-term memory problem, doesn't mean folks should have to constantly re-hash stuff for you.

Relax, very old thread, someone massively necro'd it, it died July 20th 2012.
Skim through it, or if you can't do that, at least see my post at #95...
We might have learned a **** load of stuff between now and then. But you don't know if and how open or closed or what you need to do to access the phone. Sure we know what Stskeeps are saying. But he doesn't make the decisions at jolla. And even to I trust his character and expertise, I don't take it as facts until jolla announce it and neither should you.

We can discuss it here or in another thread. But closing the thread doesn't help us get any answers or the device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-06-02 at 20:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
So, Jolla admits that there'll be no custom ROMs or kernels.
Where did you get that kind of information?
AFAIK the device will have open kernel and open middleware, only the top part of Sailfish is closed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Open or closed, if it doesn't sell well, it won't matter.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Open or closed, if it doesn't sell well, it won't matter.
You are wrong. It might not matter to you but I bet it still matters to the once with the device. Except mikecomputing it seems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Well here's the bad news we've all been dreading about the Jolla phones:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ngry-birds.htm

"Jolla is going to release a developer edition of the device which gives full access to linux hackers and technology enthusiasts. Jolla will fully support the communities and be part of them, and wants them to be part of creating and developing our device," the spokeswoman confirmed.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But you don't know if and how open or closed or what you need to do to access the phone.
Um yes we do, not all of it, but we have found out significant chunks, your memory failing you doesn't make it true for most who've been following along.

Sure we know what Stskeeps are saying. But he doesn't make the decisions at jolla. And even to I trust his character and expertise, I don't take it as facts until jolla announce it and neither should you.
There's no qualifications about what he said in this area, if there was any doubt whatsoever he wouldn't say a word, this is one area we know they'll deliver on.
There's been other areas he/others won't comment on, but this is one in which they've come out very early, & stated the facts in no uncertain terms.
And it makes sense, it's not something that'd hurt them, to the contrary, given their background & all their stated intents, it's something they would do.

We can discuss it here or in another thread. But closing the thread doesn't help us get any answers or the device.
And having a 2nd, 3rd, or 7th thread discussing the same content doesn't make getting answers more effective, if messaging is scattered/confused it only hinders that.
Besides, I already said perhaps a dedicated thread for this topic is fine...
I merely qualified that by saying it doesn't make much sense, because they're not likely to reveal the "final pieces" until after the first device is out.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Where did you get that kind of information?
AFAIK the device will have open kernel and open middleware, only the top part of Sailfish is closed.
Yep, all this was asked & then clarified towards the end of last year, & early this year.
But, once again, the same users are out & about, feeding on their staple diet of FUD.

Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
"Jolla is going to release a developer edition of the device which gives full access to linux hackers and technology enthusiasts<SNIP>," the spokeswoman confirmed.
The article is deprecated/irrelevant, read through the thread....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-03 at 06:45. Reason: typo

Ok, let's not close the thread. The thread close itself when the time is right.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Wasn't there some upcoming plan that jolla should help with some hosting of mer OBS or similar. And also there was some plan to setup an event with deevamo and jolla?

I think people here should stop draw theyr own conclusions before we knows better! But two things we know:

1. No hw company will EVER be fully open source
2. Jolla has already said they will work with the community in some way.
GTA-04 is open source hardware which is commercially produced. It is based on another open source hardware project - BeagleBoard. Arduino is open hardware, which makes it possible to produce Arduino's in Armenia: http://norayr.arnet.am/weblog/tag/arduino/

Tags
jolla, misunderstand, notespecsorgtfo, note_spec_only, open_ur_speccs, specc is the, troll ericsson, typical_specc