Active Topics

Hello,

I received my OBD2 blue tooth adapter today, but don't have any software to test it with.

I thought I would have carman installed on my n900 by the time the BT would arrive but I can't get carman installed, tried may times.

I put a post on the carman thread, on December 9th, but no one answered, so I guess that project is dead?

Is there any other car scanning tool available for N900 that I could try?

Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by siafu View Post
Hello,

I received my OBD2 blue tooth adapter today, but don't have any software to test it with.

I thought I would have carman installed on my n900 by the time the BT would arrive but I can't get carman installed, tried may times.

I put a post on the carman thread, on December 9th, but no one answered, so I guess that project is dead?

Is there any other car scanning tool available for N900 that I could try?

Thank you in advance.
Seeing the topic title I was going to suggest Carman, what's the error you're getting? Perhaps people here could help you out....

Hi lardman,

I was following instructions on how to load carman on my n900 but when I get to a certain step i run into a problem, see below.

"When I get to step 6 (6. apt-get install carman) i get the following error, and can't figure out how to continue.

Carman: Depends: carman-ui (>+ 0.7~pre-alpha-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken pakage."

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
pyOBD works:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81129
Thank you rotoflex,

Installed this and works.

If anyone out there can help me install carman it would be greatly appreciate it, as it appears that it has a lot more features.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
siafu, all I could learn was in the long post at
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=283
I have no other advice for installing Carman.

The only thing I can think of to try is to uninstall Carman then reinstall it in the manner described, & if that still fails, re-flash the N900 & reinstall Carman in the manner described.

Even though I am now able to get Carman to connect to my BT OBD dongle, Carman still doesn't function well. It demands a network connection, & at home I am able to connect to my home wi-fi, but after leaving the wi-fi range, it doesn't update RPM or ever show anything on the speedometer. Since my carrier changed the plan I use, I no longer can connect to data through the carrier, so I don't know if the speedometer will work even if a network connection is maintained.

Carman for the N900 still needs a lot of work to be minimally useful, if anyone wants to try to fix it up. The first thing would be to bypass Carman's demand for a network connection, and the second would be to make the OBD data for its screens like RPM & speed display with only a BT connection & without a network (data) connection.

Thanks Rotoflex,

I would uninstall carman, but I can't get to the point to even have it installed, keep getting errors about other libraries needed, and when I do those steps, then others, seems like never ending loop.

I'm not sure I want to flash my entire phone to get this working, I mean I have years of programs installed on my n900 and do not want to risk killing my phone by flashing it. seems like an extreme measure to get a program working, that perhaps might not be working correctly anyhow.

Any other suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciate it.

pyOBD is almost nothing compared to carman.