This is a simple currency converter that I did as my fist test app for Maemo 5. It's a Qt/C++ app. It currently can only convert from Euro to Litas and visa versa.

I'm planning to later have the ability to add more currencies from Settings form where you could manually enter and/or automatically refresh the rates from the Internet. These values would be then stored using the QSettings. Also I would like to add in this a simple tax and tip calculator.

However, I'm currently busy in finishing the Countdown Timer. After I have completed that to the point where I can publish it, I would like to finish this project too. But if someone would like to start working on this already now, please go ahead. After all, there still are so precious few apps for Maemo 5.

EDIT: I've opened a garage page for this project. The latest source files are there. I've done quite a few changes. Basically I have changes most of the code. Almost everything works now, except retrieval of currency rates from the internet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sasler; 2010-01-16 at 08:01. Reason: Updated to the latest status

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Can you add the option to convert from Belgian euros to Dutch euros?

The Following User Says Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Thanks very much Sasler. I actually 'need' a currency converter.

I'll see how much I can get done with the code you've already worked on. This will be for me to cut my teeth into some development too. So who knows, I might make the source end up looking stranger

Robbie: hopefully by the time I'm done with it you should be able to pick and name your own currencies and input the exchange rate yourself

Last edited by JustCallMeJoe; 2010-01-07 at 13:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustCallMeJoe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Can you add the option to convert from Belgian euros to Dutch euros?
Sorry, but I don't understand Flemish.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I you plan to start this kind of cooperation you can find support in garage.maemo.org that will simplify your life.

The Following User Says Thank You to marionegroponzi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marionegroponzi View Post
I you plan to start this kind of cooperation you can find support in garage.maemo.org that will simplify your life.
Uh, seem rather complicated... I never used something like it. I wonder if it is a bit of a overkill for such a simple project. But before I make any decisions on it, I better wait for the server upgrade next week, as it is now painfully slow. But thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I think that a currency converter would be really useful and would round out the list of "travel tools" (i.e., world clocks, time-shifted calendars, weather forecast, etc) accessible to the n900 user. One of the other users developed a currency converter (also in Qt) for the N8X0--you might want to take a look at what was done on that project:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28051
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28369

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
I've done a full overhaul of the code and the source is available in garage. The actual release is available in Extras-devel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
I wish I could thank you more. I tried to have a look at the original source code and it was way beyond me

EDIT: Just managed to get to the extras-dev repo. Great looking app! Just a question, would it possible to include an option for someone to enter in their own currency manually and to manually edit the exchange rate? Also, sorting the currency by country would be an awesome addition too

You've done an amazing job! I'll be giving a real world test in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by JustCallMeJoe; 2010-01-18 at 08:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustCallMeJoe For This Useful Post:
There is a new version now (0.2-1). It's now able to update the exchange rates from the internet. It uses the Euro foreign exchange reference rates of the European Central Bank.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: