Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Saw this on GSMarena allowing Mr. Public to make Apps, what do people think? Is it opening the doors for rubbish apps or a good move that will benefit the platform?

http://blog.gsmarena.com/everyone-is...-app-inventor/

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
It has been done before. The typical result is that even fewer people make an effort to find the work of others before embarking on their pet project.

And with this example, "Click to miaow!", it only makes it worse.

And yes, I'm most likely biased by being a professional software developer, but I'm already so very disappointed by what people churn out and try to pass off as "code".

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Among the rubbish test apps, there'll be some gems.

As long as there is good selection mechanism at the distribution center (app store), so the creams can rise to the top and get proper recognition, then this is a good thing.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Palm have had something like this for a while with their Web OS platform I think - not sure on what the results have been though? Their version seems more powerful than this though so I'm not exactly sure.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Even though this invariably will bring about a ton af crap apps, I am 100% for something like this. I think it's awesome and for the curious will hand hold them to understanding code and encourage the curious and talented to learn more.

This obliterates the entry level learning curve. Bravo.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
its a good move if my n900 gets apps out of it!

Bravo for lowering the entry barriers for the platform.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Think this is in principle a great move by Android....why shouldn't users get in on making their own apps if they want?

FYI, my understanding is that idea is for users to create apps to use on their own personal devices. Not necessarily to foist upon everyone in the App Market....although that will be possible I understand....

So, hopefully, only decent quality apps will make it from user device to marketplace.....hopefully, that is....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
From experience, this does NOT help on the entry level - on the contrary. It stops people who WOULD have been willing to learn the basics from doing so, because it creates the illusion of the basics no longer being necessary.

Without automatic code creation, people are more or less "forced" to learn the basics, so anybody even remotely interested will have to do so. After their first success in doing so, they'll either get deeper into the process of writing applications, or leave because they decided it's not worth the trouble.

With automatic code creation, nobody has to go through this first step. But then, when it comes to getting deeper into the language, they would have to learn the basics first - and then human instinct for going the easiest route kicks in in form of "I can create something with a few clicks - why should I now try to do the same by writing cryptic lines of code instead?" - so potential future developers decide to stay with the automatic code creation process, instead.

And while of course the rare gem might spring forth from it, 99.99% of all applications created that way will be fart/lightsaber/vuvuzela apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
nokia does the same thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post: