Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
[/I]....QQ... , which is also known to have a government backdoor.
As do Skype and Windows among others. Actual it is the first thing MS did after buying Skype, build in a backdoor for the government agencies.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Just for the sake of information, what closed standards of Apple are you talking about? What standards is Apple using that are closed?
Ah come on, almost their entire ecosystem is closed and now they're slamming extra locks on them as well. Much of their stuff might be reversed engineered or """open""" now (iTunes, iPhone docks, iMessaging, AirPlay) but just about all of it is under their exclusive control. Even well-established protocols as bluetooth have been implemented only partially at best. (Well, at least it was in older iPhones, which wouldn't allow dial-up/PAN networking, couldn't send/receive files etc)

What's more, their devices are locked up as well. Only Apple-approved software can be installed on iOS-devices, and can only be obtained from Apple. You need to pay up to be able to develop for your *own* device. And now they're expanding this scheme to the desktop as well!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yet another reason to **** google

But I guess DanRamos and other still will say Google is SOOOO OPEN!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Ah come on, almost their entire ecosystem is closed and now they're slamming extra locks on them as well. Much of their stuff might be reversed engineered or """open""" now (iTunes, iPhone docks, iMessaging, AirPlay) but just about all of it is under their exclusive control.
On the software side I had never problem exporting music or other data from this platform (Mac). But apart from macs I don't use other Apple hardware. But I do know about iOS software install. The same as on WindowPhone. Or Windows RT. And don't even get started on the "Secure computing" (treacherous computing as Richard Stallman calls it) thing they are pushing. That is a HUGE blow to beginner linux users, who won't be able to just pop in a live cd and install something else than Windows.
And everybody excepts this behavior. Even linux users. They say what they always say, if you can't work around it you're a noob. (yeah I am aware that there is a work around to circumvent secure boot).

Even well-established protocols as bluetooth have been implemented only partially at best. (Well, at least it was in older iPhones, which wouldn't allow dial-up/PAN networking, couldn't send/receive files etc)
The same as Nokia was doing until they started losing market share fast. The time when Motorola, Ericsson and Palm would work with any bluetooth device. But Nokia phone only worked nice with Nokia accessories.
But I agree that Apple should give full Bluetooth access.

What's more, their devices are locked up as well. Only Apple-approved software can be installed on iOS-devices, and can only be obtained from Apple. You need to pay up to be able to develop for your *own* device. And now they're expanding this scheme to the desktop as well!
Since when do you have to pay to be able to develop for your own Mac?

I guess they are following MS's lead there, to buy development tools to develop for your own desktop?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Is there any good open source alternative that does the same or more as Airplay? Is DLNA an alternative. Not much do I know about Airplay.

Yes, DLNA is a proper technology.

BTW Google did not still drop XMPP support yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to NetBUG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
AirPlay is meant to stream the A/V output of a device to another device, e.g. tv or stereo. While DLNA could do the same, DLNA is more meant as media server and player. The N9 does it remarkably well, thanks in great part to the built-in Rygel server. TweakUp and PushUp enhance its functionality even further.

DLNA is the commercial variant of UPnP. DLNA is more strict and has certification. But it's an open protocol and I use it several times a week to watch media stored in my linux nettop on my Samsung-tv, which has remarkable support for DLNA.

Weird thing is that Android doesn't seem to have DLNA/UPnP support out-of-the-box. It's up to the manufactures as HTC, Asus and Samsung to add this. From what I've seen that's not always as seamless as on the N9 and N95(!)

Also, Samsung is now promoting their own protocol for media sharing between their Android devices and tv's. I don't know whether this is an extension on DLNA, more like AirPlay, or something different altogether. It does however seem to be yet again another proprietary protocol adding to the vendor lock-in problem. Given their huge success with their mobiles it might seem like a good business strategy (like Apple, Microsoft, Google), but again bad for consumers.

Originally Posted by NetBUG View Post
Yes, DLNA is a proper technology.

BTW Google did not still drop XMPP support yet.
They won't drop XMPP (yet!), but they will drop XMPP-federation, according to Ars Technica.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
(yeah I am aware that there is a work around to circumvent secure boot).
Code signing and boot security has its own place in the users' toolkit.

Personally, I've added my own keys to UEFI, and am signing my bootloaders and kernels, and I've enabled Measured Boot, which means that binaries I didn't sign/don't have a trusted signature aren't run. (a la Aegis)

The problem is when manufacturers take away your control of the security mechanism, locking you in and taking away your ability to not-be-babied.
(See: iOS code signing, Surface RT, Verizon Droid*)

This really stinks. I'm not using Google Talk server, but my contacts do, and now they'll be cut off. Google are really evil now.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
@shmerl: I do not see reason for people (like you) who do not using gmail jabber account - to create one. If gmail people in your jabber contact list really want to talk/chat with you, they will find some way... And if not - consider if they really want to talk... I really do not see any reason why we should be slaves of google's world...

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
google, hangouts, instant, messaging