Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Maybe the Nokia Conversations video about emulators wasn't such a good idea.

Nintendo's new piracy tsar takes on Nokia
New legal team to investigate copyright infringement

Nintendo's senior UK PR manager Robert Saunders said: "We take rigorous steps to protect our IP and our legal team will examine this to determine if any infringement has taken place."

Read the rest from:
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...n-nokia-654330

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Oh **** that's bad news.
I'm a big nintendo fan but I also know that games that aren't older than 20 years still need to be bought(or at least the license) if you want to emulate them legally. However, if you have the copy of the game in your bookshelf, (e.g. I have a lot of old SNES games at home) it is not prohibited to emulate the .snes files in all kind of emulators, so emulating can't really be prohibited.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
its not about n900 the site techradar was just using n900 as a example if you look nintendo guy does not mention nokia once techradar do all the mentioning of nokia and added a sentence in the middle of quotes making it look misleading , any way just load up all emus on you n900 quickly in case they get pulled from the repo

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-11-27 at 13:39.

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like rubbish to me. Emulators have existed and been written and produced and used for decades. I've written a couple myself. I'm not aware of any emulator being successfully shot down by IP lawyers.

Obviuosly ROMs and the games themselves (for game emulators) is a completely different story. Going for the emulators won't help the IP lawyers though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
its not about n900 the site techradar was just using n900 as a example and so was nintendo , any way just load up all emus on you n900 quickly in case they get pulled from the repo
It is about Nokia. Did you read the techradar link?

Independent also says it is about N900:

Videogaming giant Nintendo has instructed its legal team to look at whether a move to emulate its older consoles on a mobile phone will infringe its copyright.

A blog post by Finnish mobile phone manufacturer Nokia shows a video of its N900 smartphone containing buttons that, when pressed, appear to open emulators for, among others, Nintendo's Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, NES and SNES.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-1828267.html

Last edited by Rauha; 2009-11-27 at 13:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
heres full article i will hilight nintendo guys quotes in bold and mention of nokia in red
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo aims to get tough on piracy (and touch on the causes of piracy) with its new 'piracy tsar' looking very closely at possible copyright infringements related to Nintendo games on mobile phones this month.

Nintendo's legal beagles are looking at those phones that are able to run emulators of older Nintendo consoles.

Nokia's N900 smartphone, for example can run emulators for Nintendo's Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, NES and SNES. We know this, because Nokia advertises the fact on its own website!

IP is key

Nintendo's senior UK PR manager Robert Saunders said: "We take rigorous steps to protect our IP and our legal team will examine this to determine if any infringement has taken place."

To be fair, the Nokia video hosted on its website does make it clear that [B]"some emulators require separate ROM images to play games" and that "Most publishers allow individual title usage provided that the user is in possession of the original title."

TechRadar has contacted Nokia for a response to this story. Stay tuned for updates.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as you can see not once does nintendo mention nokia only the guy writing article does and adds is own lines to beginning of quotes to mislead, its just a nothing story again

edit: even the independent link says nothing about nokia what nintendo have said other than they will look at the video, it will all come to nothing

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-11-27 at 13:58.

Don’t worry, Nokia will use the money from Apple prosecution to pay Nintendo.
With linux it’s impossible to stop emulations. Nokia should just take the emulaters from their sites. Maemo community is another story. Community is not nokia territory. They can’t put every one of us in trial…
This will be very good publicityfor N900.

First rule about the fight club, you don't talk about the fight club.

Nintendo is suing Nokia, not maemo. I think they know their games are emulated on every handheld and portable device out there. But it's another thing to adveertise that!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-11-27 at 15:11.

Emulators are also on the droid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W65pOlUGLxM

so I see nintendo going after google before they set their sites on nokia

Meh, that's just something to make headlines. I guess "Nintendo sues Marat Fayzullin [the guy who made the vgba emu]" doesn't sound interesting enough to publish. Even if they do have a case, nokia has no part in this, they're suing the driver because his car somehow infringes IP

Tags
atari, nintendo