Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Honolulu, HI
Don't know about you all, lots of you are old-time users, but I bought the 770 in part because I read that the OS would be upgraded. I am particularly concerned about the "poof" issue with Opera, and the option to wake from sleep with alarms using GPE Calendar. (That's support for alarmd, I believe.)

Has anyone heard anything? What's with the whole "tell you we're going to do something in a few weeks, then say absolutely nothing for two months" deal?

It's just dumb. At least give some feedback, tell us what's up and who is working on it, please. Because the suspicion immediately becomes that you aren't doing anything and you somehow hope people will forget about it.

Has anyone heard anything? And please don't point me to the dead Garage page, or to some weeks-old thread. I search pretty regularly. I 'm interested in new info.

Thanks!

m a r

I'm sure it will come, last I read they've got someone on the case....but it's only one person and I doubt anyone has touched anything since the last version was released. So I'm expecting either the same core as before with fixes of the problems (plus fixes inc that other people have done on bugzilla) or they'll try to quickly hack together the latest N800 release, fix as many bugs as they can then release, where everyone will find many more bugs but they'll never be properly fixed.

I'm not keeping my hopes up but you never know! I say release it to the public, the clever people will probably do wonders, if that did happen then it would become more interesting, although that would bring it's own problems unless a certain select group handled the updates, rather than everyone releasing their own.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I already made a thread about this...they said soon on maemo last month. but then there hasn't been anything since.

to tell you the truth, this new OS isn't "official" even though it is a lot more stable than OS2006. So in Nokia's eyes, the 770 is EOL'd and technically shouldn't be getting anymore official updates which I think is crap.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, just a pong to say that yes there has been more development on a new version of the Hacker Edition for the Nokia 770. The release expected to be delivered in some weeks is getting longer, but hopefully you will consider worth the wait when it finally comes.

Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
I am particularly concerned about the "poof" issue with Opera.
That is pretty ridiculous indeed. Especially considering it's the main function of the Internet tablet device. I'm now using Minimo 0.2 which not only supports more websites (Web 2.0), but is also more stable after increasing the cache size (about:config, just like regular Firefox).

The only downside to Minimo is it's rendering time. On 'advanced' websites this can take up to 30 seconds. It's said this is due to all the extra javascript etc. it renders, which Opera normally just ignores (or crashes because of). I have found increasing the http connection limit (again via about:config) seems to counteract this problem somewhat*.

* might also be placebo.. heh!

Last edited by inventeur; 2007-08-18 at 21:41.

Hey Qim, thanks for popping in and for the reassurance. Delays are to be expected, but at least we know something is coming...

option to wake from sleep with alarms using GPE Calendar.
I just installed GPE 2.8 and I got an alarm to go off with the cover on. I haven't yet had time to play with it extensively, but that may address one of your concerns.

-John

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
See Carlos' update today at http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...st/011388.html - follow from that thread Joni's additional (and very technical) details.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Great update Quim, thanks.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Hey Qim, thanks for popping in and for the reassurance. Delays are to be expected, but at least we know something is coming...
Ditto. Thanks Qim for the update. I think most in the community are anxiously waiting for the update to the Hacker Edition. We appreciate keeping us informed, because when it gets quiet people tend to think the worst.

I delayed upgrading mine to the HE because I'm patiently waiting until the bugs are worked out and the new HE is released.

By the way, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of new US 770 owners (due to the lower price) out there. I know many on the "deal" forums know about the Hacker Edition, we're all looking forward to the upgrade.

Cheers,

Dan

PS: I'd love a Skype client on the 770, even though I heard it's difficult.

Last edited by dlhuss; 2007-08-20 at 20:57.