Firmware locks do not tie you to a network operator. A SIM lock does.

You can take any software branded handset, unlock the baseband SIM state, and use it on another network -- with software branding still intact.

I actually have no idea what you are referring to when you say 'firmware lock' since nothing really exists, per se. You're talking about the ability to use unbranded firmware without carrier/operator additions, restrictions and software? That's branding.

We've probably beating this horse into a meatloaf, I think we're all basically saying the same thing, but some of us (me) are just being jerks about the semantics

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
[...]
two conclusions here:
- Maybe I'm mistaken, but you can't assess it from the OP only
- I'm wasting my time, and yours (and anybody reading that: sorry), but you quoted xkcd first

haven't cared to come on maemo.org for some time (got here because had a link to TMO in my MeeGo news...) but it was funny to follow your discussion(s)
and instructive

even though N9 / N950 are out simply because they don't have a mSDHC
don't want to end up with 64GB worth of data stuck on a dead device that is going to be reformatted by NokNok
and according to Murphy's law, that happens after a hell of a week you didn't get any chance to do a backup, have all the pics of the last family outing still only on it et cetera et cetera et cetera

nothing beats a 32GB class 10 mSDHC on a N900 as backup media

just because rotten iPotatos introduced that idiocy don't mean it has to become a standard, does it, now?

at least you got some potato's with your meatloaf ¦-)))

Tags
unlock n9