Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes. I'd expect Neo900 is of the few devices that are not vulnerable to this kind of attack at all.
The worst bunch is anything with integrated SOC running baseband having shared memory access with main CPU.

However, I personally feel that it is significantly higher risk to get your device infected with "standard" malicious SW having nothing to do with BB or 3G stack. There exist loads of crap especially for Androids aiming for that.

True, there currently being no device that does detect it
(as I believe cryptophone is still vaporware...)
IMSI Catcher Detector for Android, as far as I understand it, uses geolocation databases to check if the BTS with with CID/LAC like the one you're connected with could be around the place you're at, and if not, then it marks it as IMSI catcher.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think some of You will find this patent interresting
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20120108227

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I think some of You will find this patent interresting
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20120108227
Yes, this would reliably identify rogue BTS aka IMSI-catchers, but it's a network-based method that's not implemented at least on GSM (2G) level in any network / by any carrier I know of.

/j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Hello,

Me and my friend bought cryptophones at the start of this year because we're stupid with money like that and we didn't have the patience to wait for the Neo900 (he's gonna get one too though, I would too but my finances aren't in a state to support it...).
I can answer any questions you might have about them to the best of my ability.
We got GSMK CryptoPhone 500's, they have actually 2 firewalls, an IP and a baseband one. The baseband firewall seems to be related to what you're ideating for Neo900, it keeps watch of the modem and inconsistencies between its and the OS's activity. The IP firewall at least kept preventing me from establishing a connection to a meterpreter shell I installed on the phone. When I was traveling in Norway at one point the baseband firewall started warning about IMSI-catchers or something of the sort, I assume this was related to the NATO military bases there
The phones have a variety of other features but my short summary of them would be a overly expensive gadget marketed for governments.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rkos For This Useful Post: