Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
sydb,
How are you finding the battery life of the Desire Z compared to the N900 ?
I can't be accurate but I'd say there is not much in it. I charge both every night, if I don't then sometimes both last a bit into the next day. I wouldn't trust either of them to last without overnight charge.

Funny thing I noticed today. I had said the video playback on the Desire Z was outstanding, but today I was trying the N900 and the video playback (from Mediatomb) was good so I did a comparison with the HTC Desire Z and the N900 was much, much better than the HTC! There is a difference in the way they degrade, the N900 will stop the video and buffer, while the Z will just let the video slow down and get way out of sync with the audio.

I was surprised how well the N900 handled this as I do not remember it being any good for video. Sorry if my earlier post was in any way misleading.

@Maruzko, there is more app support but most of the apps are rubbish!

I've done some speed tests, just how long it takes to load pages, and HTC is about twice as fast as the N900. Also the browser reflows text to fit your zoom level which is a really nice touch. It's better for web browsing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sydb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Australia
Why exactly do you think you were wrong about going to Android ?
Theres more App support.
yea i thought that too, more app support means better right?
when i was going through the top rated paid apps in the market, nothing appealed to me.
more than half the **** was rubbish to me etc. games and useless apps. i mean currently at #9 its $3.69AU for "Root Explorer", dl Filebox (for free btw) or ctrl+shift+x on the n900 and voila, thanks to some very talented people.
the free makret is worse, infested with games and thier lite versions and ****, even more useless apps.

im not trying to bash android's market. this is just what i experienced.
im sure the majority of the people appreciate the vast number of apps, but i have gone back to my n900 and wont be looking at android anytime soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to werks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by werks View Post
yea i thought that too, more app support means better right?
when i was going through the top rated paid apps in the market, nothing appealed to me.
more than half the **** was rubbish to me etc. games and useless apps. i mean currently at #9 its $3.69AU for "Root Explorer", dl Filebox (for free btw) or ctrl+shift+x on the n900 and voila, thanks to some very talented people.
the free makret is worse, infested with games and thier lite versions and ****, even more useless apps.

im not trying to bash android's market. this is just what i experienced.
im sure the majority of the people appreciate the vast number of apps, but i have gone back to my n900 and wont be looking at android anytime soon.
Sharing my experience, I feel the same way. I haven't tried Android as in the real Android (just tried NITDroid)...lots of apps indeed, but I find that there are simply a lot of apps that do the same thing. Pretty much the same case for Maemo but not as redundant as Android. But I guess it all boils down to matter of preference...there are just some consumers who like tinkering around, while some go for what's hot, and some others go for the number of apps.

As mentioned a lot of times in the forum, I would like to imagine how Maemo would perform in a device with much "stronger" hardware specs. That would be awesome, I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jaimex2 View Post
I bought a Motorola Milestone 2, its been a very solid device.

You will miss Maemo for some things though.
I'm thinking of getting this one too.
Just no front facing camera, but then again didn't use it much.

Bigger question, how does the battery life of the Milestone 2 compare to your N900 ?

Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post
It looks interesting but a keyboard will be more useful to me than a joypad. I'm hoping that the playstation functionality of the Play will work with the Xperia Pro as well...
I've been waiting for the xperia pro since it was announced in Feb, it's now June and no release.
Probably won't get it anymore purely on principle for taking so long.
Pics of the Motorola Milestone 3 have been leaked and will probably be out before the xperia pro.
The MM3 is dual core and like the Atrix but with keyboard.
I think that's the winner now.

Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post

The things I need are:
Keyboard - I'm not fond of touchscreen typing
Large screen - as big as the N900 or better
Good camera with flash - as good as N900 or better
Gmail and Google Calendar compatibility
As fast as possible without having worse battery life than the N900
FM Radio
-oh yes, I forgot to add: available in the UK and works if I take it on holiday.

Is there a phone out there for me (or one likely to arrive in the next few months)?
Just sold my N900 after 14mths.
Ordered a Motorola Milestone 2, as its quite cheap at $350AU being out since Nov 2010.
Xperia Pro taking too long to come out, plus when it does it wont be as cheap.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I own the N900 and love it still my favorite phone but lack of support drove me to android. I ended up with the HTC G2 which was a pretty nice phone at the time and while still semi new feels so dated now that I use it. And now since the N950 won't be coming out I'm forced to find another new android phone with a hw kb. I made up my mind to get the HTC doubleshot aka tmobile mytouch 4G slide. Why? Because of the specs. Dual core, more ram than my G2, new sense 3.0 which I heard good things about,front facing cam and a cam that rivals the N9! So that will be my next phone. So if anybody looking for a new android hw kb phone this one will be it. Oh yeah 1080p recording if things like that matter to you rumored to be released July 27th. So seems like a good phone(on paper) I usually get phone 2 weeks before release(don't ask) but this time imma wait til it comes in the store and play around with it before I pull the trigger .

Just sold my N900 after 14mths.
Ordered a Motorola Milestone 2, as its quite cheap at $350AU being out since Nov 2010.
Xperia Pro taking too long to come out, plus when it does it wont be as cheap.
Keep in mind that with the Milestone 2 ( and most of Motorola phones until Q3 this year ) the bootloaders are heavily locked so installing Cynogen ( a ROM that makes Android phones reach their potential ) will be a problem.

Double check your Android phone can be flashed with custom ROMs before buying.

I'm thinking of getting this one too.
Just no front facing camera, but then again didn't use it much.

Bigger question, how does the battery life of the Milestone 2 compare to your N900 ?
About the same battery time. You have options in both to increase battery time, you wont get more than 3 days with low battery settings and Wifi/3G Antennas off.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Any thoughts on the Droid 3? It has many, what appears to be, nice features. It has twice the RAM of N900 but half that of N9 or Mytouch 4G. Is that sufficient for most media? It lacks LTE. I have never used android and many people do not like android on these threads but for buisness/consumer it might be fine. Do not know if something like easy debian would ever work on such phone which would be a tough for me. Anyways, trying to keep my options open.

Tags
bada blows, bada rox