Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

I wonder how many people are still going to get the n900 unlock?
Do you think T-Mobile will ever subsidize the phone?

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'd buy a device in the N9XX class that supported Verizon's network...I'm stuck on it with my family plan. I'd also probably wait a while before I bought it for the price to go down.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
neatojones, just use a MyFi and Google Voice. Its worth it.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
neatojones, just use a MyFi and Google Voice. Its worth it.
I've been seriously considering it...only problem is that I don't think that the mifi data plan would get me off the hook for my current line.

Plus, I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering if one of those usb drives that you plug in might be better in the long term due to the difference in size, I'd bet you could even tweak it like Craves1 did with the addon SD card for N810...but the issues with this would be having drivers and probably worse battery drain.

..but trust me, I've been considering THAT option like you wouldn't believe.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Haha, because Android is going to be a popular platform that's more accessible due to the plethora of devices that will be out for it (already many manufacturers have released or are planning on releasing a phone with Android). Thus they would eventually have the dominant marketshare as phones are gradually replaced with Android based phones =P. By having a VM of Android that gives us the best of both worlds. The openness of Maemo and the freedom to do whatever we want, and Android apps.

Heck if we could have an iPhone emulation I'd take that too. =P
I put in a preorder for N900.

I had such high hopes for Android and I have been waiting for the platform to mature but they are taking their damn sweet time (all hardware released to date has been basically the same reference stuff in different packages). I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars on hardware that is a couple years old at this point.

Things that pushed me to Nokia: Tethering and Skype support.

Android's supposed to be an open platform, but no Skype so far even over WiFi. Also doesn't support tethering which my ancient Sony Ericsson K800i can do.

I can do Skype on my 5800 with Fring. Works OK but I'm looking forward to having Skype officially supported. Not all that excited about having to log in to communications services through a third party but having a working solution is better than no solution at all.

I want to move forward when I buy new tech, not backwards.

The rumored Motorola Sholes seems up to it hardware wise, but would probably still have no tethering and no Skype.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Much like support for Yahoo on Pidgin or RTCOMM for the tablet. There's nothing technically keeping it from happening. Buy for what the today's tablet supports today, not for what it's technically capable of supporting, unless of course you plan on providing the capability yourself, which is thankfully technically possible.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Thankfully, Linux ignores this artificial limit and has long been capable of addressing all 22 bits. What this means, is that the only encumbrance to using proper SDXC cards in current and future tablet devices (or, in fact, any current Linux device with SDHC support) is support for exFAT read/write. Which is on its way and only a software install away once provided.
Frank

Last edited by Frank Banul; 2009-09-18 at 14:16. Reason: spelling mistake

I previously thought I'd wait for an AT&T 3G compatible n900. However, after google's shenanigans today (killing any functional 3rd party android roms for my G1), I'll be picking up an n900 and will settle for edge speed.

I would still appreciate a Verizon or AT&T 3G version of the n900 from Nokia (or for T-Mobile to have any sort of reasonable coverage in Madison, WI area).

I'm gonna buy if it's good when I try it out. Otherwise I'm going for the Palm Pre.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by dccupp View Post
Not all that excited about having to log in to communications services through a third party but having a working solution is better than no solution at all.
Explain?

The communication services is part of the OS. I think I'm misinterpreting what you want to say. lol.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
The communications, I assume IM, etc., aren't routed through anyone else's servers. They work via plugins. Not like using Nimbuzz, this is the real deal.

Tags
interest, n900, poll