Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Today I dropped my phone on the floor. I had it in my hand and I let it slip.

The battery fell out and I quickly put it back. This has actually been the first time i've dropped my phone. When I tried to put it on the LED light gets white and stays white for like 1.5 to 2 seconds. (Longer then it usually does) The background lighting from the keyboard lights up the whole time.
After the LED is out the background lighting is still on.

No response on the screen whatsoever. It stays black, the multiboot menu does not start up. I am really afraid I broke my screen. It does not have a big scratch on it or something. It's still normal.
Is there anyway I could check if it still functions normally? And is it possible to change the screen without buying a new one? Can I still recover my data?

-Don't make a joke about the forum name I use :/

EDIT: I guess it is really the screen. I tried using the 1 button. (Boots into normal Maemo kernel) and the lighting from the keyboard dims for a second. Means it's actually booting.
How did I break my device this fast

Last edited by Wreck; 2011-10-05 at 20:33.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
Today I dropped my phone on the floor. I had it in my hand and I let it slip.

The battery fell out and I quickly put it back. This has actually been the first time i've dropped my phone. When I tried to put it on the LED light gets white and stays white for like 1.5 to 2 seconds. (Longer then it usually does) The background lighting from the keyboard lights up the whole time.
After the LED is out the background lighting is still on.

No response on the screen whatsoever. It stays black, the multiboot menu does not start up. I am really afraid I broke my screen. It does not have a big scratch on it or something. It's still normal.
Is there anyway I could check if it still functions normally? And is it possible to change the screen without buying a new one? Can I still recover my data?

EDIT: I guess it is really the screen. I tried using the 1 button. (Boots into normal Maemo kernel) and the lighting from the keyboard dims for a second. Means it's actually booting.
How did I break my device this fast
I dropped mine from waist height and it required a trip to the shop to replace the display to fix it. Had symptoms quite similar to yours. It got rid of the two bright points for several months, but they came back eventually. That was almost a year ago and it is still going strong.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
I dropped mine from waist height and it required a trip to the shop to replace the display to fix it. Had symptoms quite similar to yours. It got rid of the two bright points for several months, but they came back eventually. That was almost a year ago and it is still going strong.
So I just need to go to a Nokia shop and they should be able to repair it? Guess I am going to try that this weekend.

Thanks for the fast response!

Is there any keyboard combination for accepting the mass storage device? So I can at least secure my data. Since I am able to boot into Maemo and I can see it actually sees the USB being connected.

Last edited by Wreck; 2011-10-05 at 20:37.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Try using the video out cable with a TV to see what you are doing. Does the touch screen work, i.e. when it asks you if you want to use USB Mass Storage, and you press the screen, does it accept the input?

If not all isn't lost, you can still use xterm to scp your files across to your PC, or there is still the Rescue Initrd that can be loaded up to give you access to your data.