We have heard many times that Nokia is keeping MeeGo around in order to serve as a testbed for "future disruptions". What do you think it is going to be? Will MeeGo be able to be this platform?

(Discussion continued from here.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I wish I knew what "future disruptions" meant.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I wish I knew what "future disruptions" meant.
Well, Nokia abandoned Maemo for Meego, that was disruptive, they abandoned Hildon+gtk for Qt, that was disruptive, they were planning on using Meego on their high end devices - now they plan on using WP7, that was disruptive. I'm guessing "future disruptions" means they intend to jerk us around a few more times.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2011-03-03 at 21:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Yeah, 'disruption' is a negative term, generally...

Yes, i dont see how this future meego device will be compelling at all when WP7 will be the flagship OS several months later after its release, you can forget about ongoing support from nokia for this. Everyone here knows how good N900 is and CAN still be, but i feel this trend of feeling will continue with this upcoming meego device. We all know the potential of maemo/meego and it can clearly equal and surpass WP7 im pretty sure they are adopting methods to handicap the meego device's ability to flourish just like they did with maemo for the sake of "future disruptions"

I hope that we can flash meego, maemo, android or whatever on wp7 nokia devices as it can be done on some htc phones. As a matter of fact nokia will build commodity hardware so it shouldn't be that hard