Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2010 @ turkey
Do I need the bios file?

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by nesrazz View Post
Do I need the bios file?
No BIOS files are needed for this Emulator. I've read that including separate BIOS files can improve title compatibility, but I haven't had any game that doesn't load yet.

Now if we can just get the damn thing to run as fast as it does on the Pandora....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!

Ari64 uploaded an updated Yabause binary the other day. Version 2660.

I've tested it on the N900 and finally, the dynamic recompiler option works with no errors. This release also adds title compatibility such as Bust a Move. It also removes any remaining need to have separate BIOS files for title compatibility.

Here's the bad news. It doesn't make the games faster. Not noticeably so anyway. I did see that cinemas in the Macross game that wouldn't play before do play now.

I also felt that with the new binary, I could disable frame skip completely and still control the game as well as I did before with a 2x or 4x frame skip, but that could be psychosomatic.

Anyway, if you wanna try the update download the file here:

http://www.besh.com/~chad/yabause.zip

Unzip it and move the new binary to your N900's /opt/yabause directory, overwriting the old one. ( you may need to chmod 777 the new binary as root).

Still working to see what new options work under the updated Binary.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it, the save state and load state options work great on Yabause, but you need to specify a directory (any directory really) in the preferences menu for the states to reside in.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Okay, so not to spam here, but I've noticed some stuff.

First, overclocking does seem to make a difference with the new binary, especially with a minor 1x frame skip enabled. Also seeing significant bump in speed with the sound set to a dummy device (disabled).

Looks like the best results on the Pandora is with the emulator running in a low resolution window. I haven't been able to reproduce this on the N900 yet.

Every time I select windowed video playback, no matter how small I set the resolution (even tried 200x180), the games still play stretched across the entire 800 width of the N900. Maybe hildon doesn't support windowed applications?

Anyway, it is faster now then it was. Because of the new binary, overclock, audio disable, or some combination of the three. But we won't see Pandora speeds until we can find a way for the games to display in something less then full resolution on the N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Definitively we should share more development power with the Open Pandora.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Okay, here's a video of Magic Knight Rayearth running under the new binary, with frame skip set to x1 and the N900 overclocked to 900 Mhz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefHjH1kEVE

You can compare this to the youtube video in the first post of this thread and see a HUGE improvement in game play speed.

Getting there. Just need to find a way to play in a windowed mode....

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2010 @ turkey
sega rally

very bad gameplay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nesrazz For This Useful Post:
i'm finding that different games run with different bios, still very slow and unplayable

only game ive had running but very slow is bubble bobble/ rainbow islands

You guys should try it with the following line added to your /home/user/.config/yabause.ini file:

FrameSkip =1

Then, if you can, overclock the N900 to at least 850 Mhz. You can leave the sound on as that doesn't make as big a difference as I thought.

Then in the Yabause preferences, under video. Set the screen resolution to 200 x 180 and select Window. Don't know if that helps or not, but that's what I'm using.

Also don't forget to toggle on the Frameskip/Limited in the GUI under the Yabause drop down menu so you're using the Frame Skip multiple you set above in the yabause.ini file.

With these settings, I'm running games at a near playable speed. See my most recent Magic Knight Rayearth youtube vid for an example.

I just installed yabause on my Nintendo Wii on the Homebrew channel and I'm somewhat pleased with myself that the N900 with the above settings, runs games much faster then the Yabause on the Wii.

Even on Pandora, Ari64 tells users to run the emulator in a window mode as playing in full screen is very slow.

Since we haven't yet been able to play in a smaller window like the Pandora can, I'd say the N900 implementation of this emulator is actually doing pretty damned good. Probably the fastest implementation of Yabause on a non-x86 chipset running at this resolution.

It's a small comfort, but there it is...

Last edited by cddiede; 2011-08-26 at 14:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
but the question is... can we play street fighter: the movie: the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfDR-oDa9o

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post: