Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
I think what went on was:
- part of it got mixed up with other business, which was not very decent,
Where did you get that from? Any secret sources? (It might have been of course, but that's either some secret information from Jolla - or speculation.)

I'd say that's highly unlikely because the total cost of the tablet project was much higher than the amount of money raised via IGG.

So it was like: In the end, they had 2 bathtubs filled with coins. That's what the project cost them.

The money from IGG was enough to fill the first tub. For the second tub, they had to use coins for their own pockets (or rather, their inverstors').

So at which point would money from IGG have been mixed up with other business? (Which business, btw? They don't own a bakery or such.) Even if one of the IGG coins for some reason ended up in Jolla's general budget, that's exactly the budget they used for filling up the second tub.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Where did you get that from? Any secret sources?
I think he means it got used for SW development, and not for HW costs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I think he means it got used for SW development, and not for HW costs.
Would be very strange as he really wrote:

Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
I think what went on was:
- IGG campaign raised money
- part of it was spent on development, as promised
(emphasis added)

So I guess like the backers at that time he knows very well that OS development was a big, if not the biggest part in creating the tablet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I would love to get my hands on a Latsu case when the Youyota tablet ships, but I should think that they have been recycled or thrown out long ago. Storage costs money, and I seriously doubt that either Latsu or Jolla would have been prepared to pay anything to keep them out of the rubbish skip once the tablet campaign failed.

You never know though, maybe there are a few hundred in a corner of a storage room somewhere that have been forgotten about. If someone is prepared to do a bit of detective work and track them down, they could be used to offset part of the second round of tablet refunds for original backers who get a Youyota tablet.
We should send a spy! Anyone willing to visit thier office and see what you can find out?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Where did you get that from? Any secret sources? (It might have been of course, but that's either some secret information from Jolla - or speculation.)
Pure speculation on my part. I thought I recognised some parallels with a business partner of mine going bankrupt. In any case, the money was not there when it was needed for the production phase.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by eson View Post
The problem is, that we all want Sailfish OS to be a success. Jolla company is kind of "second hand priority".
Personally I would give blood to get SFOS on a decent hardware unit, but I wouldn't give **** to save Jolla company.
Do you honestly believe that SFOS can survive without Jolla?
If Jolla goes under, SF might not go under immediately, but it will fall so far behind in development that it can't stand a Chance against Corporate solutions anymore. Android would rule supreme.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Do you honestly believe that SFOS can survive without Jolla?
If Jolla goes under, SF might not go under immediately, but it will fall so far behind in development that it can't stand a Chance against Corporate solutions anymore.
As a reference, see Palm webOS / HP webOS / OpenWebOs / LunaOS, now that :
- Palm got bought by HP
- HP (who was still a little bit community friendly) decided to drop the ball on webOS
- LG who bought webOS from HP are only using it for their TV and do not help any community in any way.
- LunaOS community devs are basically on their own (and are in the middle of a huge port from HTML5/Javascript webapps to QML/Javascript apps).

The thing is progressing the pace of a glacier.

For an older example look at the various OS for OpenMoko's FreeRunner.

The only reason Sailfish OS is still viable is :
- because there are paid-for developpers at Jolla working on it
- and there's some money (from investor, from partners and carriers, from crowdsourcing and end-users) flowing to Jolla to paid said developers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
For an older example look at the various OS for OpenMoko's FreeRunner.
I don't think this is a good example - the main problem with the FreeRunner turned out to be an unfortunate choice of hardware that turned out to be very buggy and dog-slow. This in turn made the device quite unusable as a daily driver mobile device, which significantly reduced the motivation of people to work on it.

Another contributing factor might have been the general lack of telephony middleware (no Ofono back then), which the FreeRunner distros basically had to build from the ground up (IIRC it was the FSO telephony framework).

Take the N900 for comparison - a reasonably open device running Linux with a physical keyboard that you can actually use to call, send SMS messages and use mobile data on a daily basis. As a result there is still an active community many years after Nokia dropped any official support.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
The only reason Sailfish OS is still viable is :
- because there are paid-for developpers at Jolla working on it
- and there's some money (from investor, from partners and carriers, from crowdsourcing and end-users) flowing to Jolla to paid said developers.
Money talks. Thats just the nature of the game, baby.

I think the interesting part is, why are people putting money in Jolla at all? They just closed a massive round of funding, again, and have investments in (local) markets (see China) coming up. It might sound scary, but sh*t's getting real down here, the rocket is taking off (slowly). Now will it explode? that's a different question IMHO, and for the future to tell. Btw, can we get back on track? Any news on the Youyota? It's been a while, we know that more units are coming (great!), any ETA?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-10-03 at 20:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
I spoke with Chen and there is a national holiday in China until October 8th. So we should see some update after October 8th.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os