Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Not quite - download the VMWare image - it has Linux installed on it with ALL the tools you need to start development, even on Windows.

You will need to download vmware player as well (free). Here:

http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/...on_vmware.html
Why hassle around with VMWare if you can develop in the Nokia Qt SDK on your native system?

Daniel

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
I've just started developing for Maemo 5 on my Windows 7 computer a month or something ago.

I'm using the Nokia Qt SDK which can build .deb files which you can install on a N900 directly.
You can also set your N900 as simulator which will actually run your application directly on the N900. Although I've only managed to get that working over WiFi and not over the USB connection.

It took me quite some headaches to finally get things uploaded to repositories and compiled OK by the autobuilder. I can give you pointers for that if you need any when you get to that point. But once you've got that going it's easy.

As a C/C++ programmer myself, I would suggest you to use Nokia Qt SDK.

hey i like this thread! im also interested in here thread bookmarked!

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland.
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Not quite - download the VMWare image - it has Linux installed on it with ALL the tools you need to start development, even on Windows.

You will need to download vmware player as well (free). Here:

http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/...on_vmware.html
The Ubuntu Desktop virtual image seems to have disappeared from the downloads page - I've been tearing at various limbs on my body for days now, trying to find a torrent - anything - so that I can get started...

So it looks like the Qt SDK is actually the easiest way to get started now, by default. I've practically given up trying to set up the SDK manually on Ubuntu as packaging is a pain.

I'm going to try the Qt SDK and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by aseriesofdarkcaves View Post
The Ubuntu Desktop virtual image seems to have disappeared from the downloads page - I've been tearing at various limbs on my body for days now, trying to find a torrent - anything - so that I can get started...
yeah, we had some problems with it. So that it is actually down at the moment.

Originally Posted by aseriesofdarkcaves View Post
So it looks like the Qt SDK is actually the easiest way to get started now, by default. I've practically given up trying to set up the SDK manually on Ubuntu as packaging is a pain.

I'm going to try the Qt SDK and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
Cool. Let us know about your feedback. For any questions, just shoot

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
So the nokia Qst is just like driving a car with automatic gear,and assisted brakes right?

and for maemo is a manual,and hard like a lamborgini?

btw I'm going to try them both,nokia looking noobish-friendly....but its ok

The Following User Says Thank You to andil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Chicago
If you want to start QT delelopment you do not need maemo SDK. All you need is Qt SDK and MADDE. You can integrate Madde with QT. Qt SDK is where you code, design etc. With Madde you can make .deb for maemo. I was playing with it for a while its quit easy

Surprised no one mentioned this, Youtube my friend. If you get a problem understanding anything related to programming, classes, structures, functions, stacks, trees etc...Youtube is your friend. Its filled with c++ and java tutorials. Although I've never actually tried anything in QT. I've read that it's pretty close to c++, so yea, c++ should be the way to go if you want to get started with QT.

Unless Nokia has some excellent tutorials, In which case, you won't need to bother with c++, and just start learning QT. As no programmer can magically know a programming language without out doing tutorials first.

I just tried Nokia Qt SDK and it was very convinent!!!

I personally find Python/Gtk to be the easiest platform to work with on the N900. I usually add a couple of whatifs in the beginning of the programs so that I can test and use the gtk programs on my desktop before scp'ing it to the N900 and running them there.

You can even develop the programs on the N900 if you are using Python (or any interpreted language). I use git to keep the versions synchronized between my desktop and my N900.

Here is a simple hello world program:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
# -*- Encoding: utf-8 -*-
"""
A python hello world program for the desktop and for maemo.

Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>
Tuesday 2010-11-02 17:55 
"""
import gtk

# Use hildon or standard gtk
try:
    import hildon
    use_hildon=True
    w = hildon.Window()
    pa = hildon.PannableArea()
    tv=hildon.TextView()
except:
    use_hildon=False
    w = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
    pa = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
    tv=gtk.TextView()

# Make program exit nicely when requested
w.connect("destroy", gtk.main_quit)

# Build the gui using whatever widgets wanted
v=gtk.VBox()
w.add(v)
v.pack_start(pa, True, True, 0)
pa.add(tv)
w.show_all()

tv.get_buffer().set_text("Hello world!")

# Enter gtk loop
gtk.main()

Last edited by dov; 2010-11-02 at 16:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to dov For This Useful Post:

Tags
facepalm