Basketball time! Throw it in the trash

Okay, I'm a little confused since I'm fairly new to this stuff so some of the terms being tossed around aren't leaving me with much. Essentially I want to retain my texts, applications, pictures not on my micro SD, and customization from various downloads.

Is this possible to keep/retain if I send the phone back to Nokia? I am not sure if Nokia will 1) Replace the motherboard with the information lost or 2) resolder the piece and retain the info, although it seems unlikely.

I've used the Back Up program on the secondary menu screen, is this enough? Or are you guys speaking about a different type of back-up?

Lastly what is the factory warranty? I am unable to find out at the moment due to my location. I purchased the phone around mid-January.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the helpful information. I don't know what I'd do without this community! Thanks!!

Last edited by EvoXLover; 2010-04-20 at 20:39.

Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Basketball time! Throw it in the trash
I was actually considering possibly selling the device as is with an included extra battery and travel charger off E-Bay. I almost purchased an HTC HD2 yesterday simply because I rely so much on my Nokia for communication through e-mail/web/IM/text/phone

Last edited by EvoXLover; 2010-04-20 at 20:41.

Well when the new charger arrives, you'll be able to boot up the phone and manually move all your old photos to the microsd. If you get the second battery there will be no hurry. Then you'll also have time to double check to make sure all your backups worked and everything.

Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Well when the new charger arrives, you'll be able to boot up the phone and manually move all your old photos to the microsd. If you get the second battery there will be no hurry. Then you'll also have time to double check to make sure all your backups worked and everything.
Good point.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ New Zealand
Hello to all. Do you think my N900 can be repaired? You see my N900 was plugged into the USB port on charge. As i went to pick it up it slipped from my hand. Its fall was only a foot or so but it landed on its side on my barbell before landing on the floor.
It then refused to switch on for an hour or two so I waited to see if it would come back to life (I had seen similar behaviour after a couple of other minor drops and it had come right). Remarkably an hour or so later it did come back to life and appeared to function normally .
It went on like this for two days until it randomly switched off. Then when i tried to power it on the led slowly lit up but it didn't vibrate and show the Nokia screen as it normally does.
I had similar symptoms when i needed the flex cable replaced last year e.g. led lighting up when powering on but no initial buzz or touchscreen response coming on,
I plugged it in to see if it would connect to my laptop to try flashing but although it would say connected in incompatible mode etc. However after a few attempts i managed to get it flashed successfully.
After which it would still not power on .So i took it to the repair shop to get a damage report for the insurance. I explained that i was claiming insurance for dropping it, after they assessed it was found” verified impact damaged and found motherboard malfunction. Unserviceable” i paid for the damage report and faxed it to my insurer and took my n900 home.
I decided to plug it in to my laptop again when i did this i noticed the led flashing orange as if to indicate charging so i waited until the led stayed steady green and tried to power it on just to see if it would randomly start or if i could access it through the pc at all.
But the white led doesn’t come on at all now.
However the first time trying to switch it on when attached via USB the pc displays message USB device not recognized but it has not repeated this again since. Maemo flasher can’t find it either so I’m guessing it well and truly stuffed.
Does anyone know if repairers can get new mainboards for the n900? Is it worth trying to get it fixed at a smaller repair place or will the insurers have it device blocked from the networks after the claim?
Would a new MB make it a new device?
Or is it just a paperweight now?
I was thinking if it was possible it would be cool to get it working again as it has zero visible damage . sorry for the very long post

Chances are, though, that if it was money to save on getting it fixed, the insurers would already do that...

Even if it was blocked from the networks, it'd still be a palmtop PC, wouldn't it? You decide what that would be worth for you. The parts exist, but they may be out of stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Yeah i looked around with google and didn't find any mother boards for sale yeah a palmtop pc would be all good , thats pretty much what i had in mind with the view towards repairing that and the fact i still have the broken device and the insurance company don't want it so i figured hey why not have a crack at getting it repaired . Id probably consider having a go myself if i could find the right bits . Just seems to be a shame to leave a spotless n900 as a paperweight

Last edited by zimm; 2011-03-25 at 14:36. Reason: added to post

Does anyone know the part number of the mainboard for the N900 to assist in locating one for a repair attempt ?

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
weird so many people's n900 not working after drops. Mine has fell many times but no damage except a crack on lcd and that too unoticable