Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I tried searching the forums with various search words, couldn't come up with anything that looked like the same problem..

When I woke up this morning, the system sounds on my N810 won't seem to work. Things like the beep on volume adjustment. (which is activated)
- I tried rebooting the device, that didn't help.
- I opened Media Player and played a couple videos, the sound in that worked
- I opened UKMP and it played a song with no problem
- I went into the Sound settings from the Control panel, I unchecked system sounds in the sound options, hit OK. Then checked all the sound options and hit OK. That activated the key and screen sounds, which work. The system sounds still don't work though.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.
(N810, Diablo)

Update to the problem

Sounds do not work in some applications (which sucks because if it was just Operating Sounds the problem wouldn't be a huge problem. I tried the games Color Lines, Barrage and Gweled. No sound in those. Also tried myTube, pyano and mplayer with no luck either. Videos don't play sound in UKMP, but songs do.

So far the only sounds I've gotten since the problem started is the screen/keyboard clicks, and through Media Player and UKMP for music.

Update

Sounds are working again. I didn't do anything to get it to work. I restarted it at one point and then it was working, but it was probably the 3rd or 4th time I had tried restarting it since the problem happened. Confused as to why it happened, but glad it works again.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I'm guessing GStreamer or Mplayer or some sound daemon or another messed up. Possibly the volume went to zero or something. Be glad you did not have to reflash!
What type of reboot did you do. Did you open a terminal, become root, and issue the reboot command, OR did you just press the power button? The second method does a dirty reboot, so that may have caused some problems!

Well, the sound stopped working when I woke up in the morning. Something happened during the night, so I don't know what caused it. When I rebooted it was just the power button and then shut down. Weird thing is, is that it wasn't the first time I rebooted it since the problem happened. I was rebooting it for another reason, sounds just started working after that.

Sometimes the Enlightment Sound Daemon gets a twist, especially after running mpd for more than 3 days :P. A
Code:
/etc/init.d/esd restart
as root does the trick for me .