Active Topics

Notices

And still no Australian support from what I can tell :'( Ah wellz back to my less than legal version (ripped maps from the version I purchased for Symbian)...

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzehO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Maj3stic View Post
hey guys i have perfectly downloaded and booted up the application, quite nice so far: here are the list of things that i have noticed.

1. More responsive and smoother( seems more sensitive to touch)
2. No lags as of yet
3. Status area in top right corner (only in menu view not when in map mode) shows battery, internet connection, signal , and time
4. Much better GUI, better looking icons, better layout,
5.On the first page of the main menu there is a traffic button( doesn't work yet they mentioned it will be up in soon showing real time traffic), and speed camera that allows u to configure settings for it
6The manage Poi button has more options and cool ones at that such as warn when near POI
7. And finally its fullscreen by default no unnecessary xterm codes
Thats just some major things I've noticed so far hope it enlightens those looking forward to the update
8. ALSO WOW WOW it auto-rotates to portrait mode and it looks quite nice and very usable , just noticed it now .

What he^ said only the exact opposite.

This needs work. It sucks down the battery significantly and for the first time that I have ever noticed, my N900 is running hot and warm to touch.

Icons are washed out and the dynamic menus stutter and pause so much I had to turn that feature off.
It still has issues with sound where instructions cause it to freeze up momentarily.

I hope it gets better and I hope this is only affecting mine for whatever reason and not everyone else's.

BTW, I'm running the clock back @ stock configuration.

I'll try it again in the morning.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I finally got it installed, the full European map (1.9 GB). With v9 it installed a program on the PC, it was useful to manage voices and maps. For example, I could install all European countries or just one, or two, or whatever I wanted.

With v10 they have dumped that PC app, now you unpack the program on the N900's internal storage, with all maps. I guess you can remove the maps you don't want manually from the N900 but I have plenty of space so I haven't touched it.

On the phone, interface looks a bit more refined but it feels slow and sluggish. I haven't tried it on the car (it was too late last night when I got it installed). I saw a couple of good things (now screen rotates using the accelerometer, and it runs in full screen), however I couldn't find the GPS status screen.

I will play with it today after work.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordJuanlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Hoorray! Finally got it downloading. Seems to come with reasonable speen (120-400kbps).
I'll take that back... just cutted me off and had to start all over again.

**** **** ****edi ****.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Well, I have it installed. No drama there except "clicking" on the .deb file did not work (and yes, I have the latest firmware installed) so had to use the terminal.

Unfortunately, I am not impressed so far. It still locates my office, which is in Berkeley, California, in the middle of Oakland. Granted, Martin Luther King Junior Way is in both cities, but searching the map either by address (where you pick the city) or now by zip code, puts Berkeley in the middle of Oakland. My TomTom got this right four years ago. What's the problem?

Also, Navigate ---> Contacts crashes the app. (Full disclosure: I have 2600 contacts in my phone.)

This is as far as I have gotten so far, but I am not holding out much hope that my other other problems with MM9 have been solved (one, navigation would take me off of the freeway/highway and onto surface streets even though the former was the quickest/shortest/most economic route; and two, navigation would not readjust to the quickest/shortest/most economic route if I deviated from the original route).

I've now had this phone/tablet for eight months. Not happy about the mapping situation.

EDIT: Have since e-mailed support about these two issues.

Last edited by jsbigs; 2010-08-06 at 19:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsbigs For This Useful Post:
Finally got it downloaded, decent speed to!
Code:
   +------------------------------- Download -------------------------------+
   |                                                                        |
   |  [------------------------------------------------------------- ] 98%  |
   |  Received 1.9 GB of 1.9 GB                                             |
   |  Average speed 326 kB/s, current speed 194 kB/s                        |
   |  Elapsed time 1:38:38, estimated time 1:55                             |
   |          [ Background ]  [ Abort ]  [ Abort and delete file ]          |
   +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Not liking what I read above though!

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
This just posted on sygic download server:

"We are doing maintenance on our servers. We will be back online in a little while."
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Download starts around 1 mb/sec and then goes down to 64kb/sec. That sucks! 7 hours to go to download haha

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Right! The only time I've EVER seen this kind of thing happen before ... is every time popular software is updated or released. If no one liked this, I can guarantee you could download it with no trouble.
Which would explain why most of the more popular software went to a torrent based distribution system.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
And still no Australian support from what I can tell :'( Ah wellz back to my less than legal version (ripped maps from the version I purchased for Symbian)...
soooo.. UR an aussie???