Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I use a macbook pro for most things that I need to do when I am sat at home. I have a desktop at work that I have to use, and a desktop here for when i work at home. With the new hard disk I picked up I could actually do a large amount of my work on the macbook if it wasn't mandated it was on the desktop.
I carry my n810 around when walking around town or shopping etc, and use it almost exclusively as a large screen for web browsing. I have mostly given up using it as other things, as I find installing software mostly an exersice in frustration! Maybe I should put a full linux on it or something.
I have an Asus eee which I use when going to trade shows, or travelling, although I am considering replacing that with a HP 2133, when i can see one (for the better keyboard).

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Makurosu View Post
BTW, there is a Cambodian font for the microB web browser:

http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...ow_pck=151#151
It's great to be able to install fonts this way, through the application installer.

However, to display Khmer correctly the OS has to know when to change the order of glyphs from the order they were entered in.

For instance, many vowels appear in front of the consonant(s) that are pronounced before them. Maemo does not know what to do with them and displays them incorrectly. With some SouthEast Asian languages, the amount of substitution and re-ordering is small and simply getting the letters on the screen works most of the time. But not with Khmer.

I don't work on my portable devices (Except for the occasional SSH connection into work). Instead they're there to deal with my insatiable net addiction and desire to play Nethack on the train

I've owned all three Nokia tablets. I found the 770 far too slow, the 800 good but needing a keyboard and I currently own a 810 which while still having a long way to go (It's still slower than it should be and needs a better UI) is one of the most useful devices I own and it gets use almost every day as an internet access point.

I don't live and work in a big city so wifi is normally out of the question. I get my net access using a BTDUN connection to my phone. Something I has also happily able to do when I bought my first Eee PC. I love the concept of the Eee. I don't need a full sized laptop. All I ever wanted was something really small and lightweight. It didn't have to be a powerhouse. So I bought an Eee. It gets used but in different places to my N810. If I'm in a shop and want to check a review I'm not going to get out my Eee. I'm going to reach into my shirt pocket and make with the Nokia. If I'm sat on the railway station with an hour to wait for the train the Eee is a bit more comfortable.

The Eee 701 I owned had problems though. The 7 inch 800x480 screen was just too small for any real use. The resolution in particular just feels very, very cramped. So yesterday my new Eee 900 arrived. 8.9 inch screen running at 1024x600. I'm no longer having to figure out ways to maximize real estate.

What I'm trying to say in my rambling way is that if you can afford it (And these devices aren't hugely expensive to the sort of person who can afford the data plan anyway ) then there's no real need to pick sides. The netbook and internet tablet market is set to explode over the next year. There'll be plenty of choice and it'll be very interesting indeed to see which direction Nokia take their tablets now they'll be seeing competition from the likes of Asus with the Eee.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Way back in 2007 someone wrote a post here titled "how many radios do you have?" That was a milestone for me, showing the explanatory power a question can have and also pointing out that there will be room for many kinds of computers in our lives. So you're right, we really have no need to choose between tablets and netbooks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Both a NIT and a laptop have their pros and cons, personal, depending on situations. They both have their niche, and the hardware in both devices is also important in order to do a compare.

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but my project is to have a 24/7 desktop running on a server and using SSH and remote desktop (NX) to connect to it using the mobile device (NIT or laptop) rendering the mobile device into a thin client. Besides that, I will route the traffic over VPN to this server. Initially the server is behind a Soekris with running BSD & PF + AltQ. Later, the server runs on 100 mbit. Therefore, instead of running MicroB on the NIT, I'd run Opera on the server containing all my bookmarks, settings, and so on. Issue is, not 24/7 connectivity with WiFi. Could be solved with tethering + 3G.

What I've ended up with is an Asus EeePC. I have an N800, but it's hopeless for entering anything other than passwords and very quick notes. I had a full-size laptop, but it was too big, too heavy, and too power-hungry. I bought an Eee and haven't looked back. My N800 and my desktop mostly collect dust, and my daughter has my laptop. The Eee is a perfect compromise for me.

On the days I bike to work I use my N800 with an adesso USB keyboard. That keyboard takes care of the input issues. Works pretty well. Biggest problem is battery life, which I've basically solved with my Solio (so long as I don't view video).

Tags
alternative, competitor