Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by spec
Tizen is a bit of a mystery actually. If all they have to show is this, then it definitely is the new meego proper. http://www.sammobile.com/2012/03/11/...hows-up-video/
No it primarily uses EFL & HTML5

MeeGo (proper) can (or at least could) be installed in the N900. IMO years of development, no advancement. Seems to be more of a hobby for a few geeks than an OS meant to be used for everyday tasks. It doesn't even look like Nokia was into it at all.
Years? The full re-gearing for Qt only started about Q4 2009, that was a huge undertaking.
The MeeGo project started about January 2010....
The problem mainly (ofc there's several other factors) was that it all got moving too late, not that it was horrendously slow.
There was also project issues with the Harmattan's (not MeeGo) UX, that delayed the original Dec 2010 deadline*

*which was a bit ambitious anyway; easy to say all this stuff in hindsight.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-12 at 19:07. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
MeeGo has evolved from Maemo5, hence sometimes called Maemo6 !
MeeGo Harmattan is a shell around Maemo5/6, no more no less.

Meego (Harmattan) is not dead, we have Inception and the community will let it evolve further, like with the N900 and SSU.

People who say otherwise, know nothing about Linux and it's development !

Anyway(s) a smart phone lasts ~2 years in the ecosystem after that the new hardware sold is much better: Moore's law.
So who cares ?
Though..... my N95 stil works perfectly, now 5 years old !! (april 2007).

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Meego is dead, but Tizen is alive.
We just need to make ourselves heard in the World, so for example Samsung will want to make also phones with Tizen and not just tablets.

Sign the petition. Nokia (read: "Microsoft") won't care, but Samsung and others may:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82987

The World needs a real open source mobile OS. iOS and WP are not even close to be open and Android also is too closed and controlled really by USA's interests if they want to.
If a Tizen phone comes, I will be one of the first to get it if for no other reason than curiosity. I looked at that petition, and I disagree. I don't see why Nokia should be relevant. Samsung and Huawei are more than enough. Also I like Symbian.

Judging by that video however, Tizen doesn't look like much. I am certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for it. But if it should come, I would be happy.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Srsly Marxian, you of all people know it most definitely isn't MeeGo, why make-up stuff?
Sure it shares many elements with MeeGo proper, but anyone who's played with MeeGoCE (now MeR/Nemo etc) knows they're very diff.
its not maemo also, since its mostly not all that compatible with maemo(in contrast to that, backporting to maemo is fairly easy)

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No those people are referring to it as Maemo6x because MeeGo proper never really got off the ground.
There was to be at least two primarily Maemo phones before the switch to MeeGo proper.
Which would've occurred about the time of the 1st x86 phone, which would've been roughly June/July.
their referring to it as maemo is more wrong than saying its meego, because it officially called meego, although it may not be meego, but it is not maemo officially or unofficially

first x86 phone? you mean nokia 9000 communicator is coming out again?

meego-harmattan is as much maemo as android is linux, the core is there but its just not the real deal...

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-03-12 at 20:09.

Originally Posted by eerde View Post
Meego (Harmattan) is not dead, we have Inception and the community will let it evolve further, like with the N900 and SSU.
We also have Mer which doesn't need inception. Let's focus community on the community OS, rather than on abandoned Nokia's project.

People who say otherwise, know nothing about Linux and it's development !
Harmattan is not fully open, is Nokia controlled, and not actively developed anymore. It's equal to dead in the competitive mobile space. You can consider Maemo 5 to be alive, since you can run it somewhere. Harmattan is alive in the same way. You can stick with a dead system, or you can just move forward.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
If a Tizen phone comes, I will be one of the first to get it if for no other reason than curiosity.
Let's hope it'll be open enough to install other distros there.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-12 at 20:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
Harmattan is not fully open, is Nokia controlled, and not actively developed anymore.

@shemerl
You are so wrong !
Google a bit on the subject before posting !

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Harmattan is not fully open, is Nokia controlled, and not actively developed anymore.

@shemerl
You are so wrong !
Google a bit on the subject before posting !
How is he wrong?

Show me the source for Harmattan - especially the Swipe UI and even the browser.

Both are closed. The kernel has been opened up, but that's for open mode. That's not everything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Who's to say this Meltemi will be Linux-based? Even if it is, it will no doubt be locked-down. I expect Meltemi devices to be nothing more than fancy Qt application launchers.
Meltemi is Linux and based on a well-known distro. But I also fear that it will be very dumbed down and merely a base to run Qt 5 on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Meltemi is Linux and based on a well-known distro. But I also fear that it will be very dumbed down and merely a base to run Qt 5 on it.
This message above - about it being dumbed down as only a base for Qt5 - has been thrown about lately.

Can anybody explain this to me as to why that's a concern?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What will nokia do when windows strategy fails... Go android or pumping money into a linux OS!

Maemo is not dead. Just delayed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down