Hi, new to the forum and not too tech savvy. I saw the 770 in Popular Science awhile back and figured I could finally ditch the WebTV and land line. I live in a RV park with free wi-fi but it's only around the office. Is there any way I can boost the signal to use the 770 inside my RV? I've found a few things on Google like the Cantenna, but it looks like it plugs into laptops. Does the 770 offer an antenna to boost signals? Thanks!

Not sure about the antenna but when setting up a wireless connection the advanced settings include a dropdown to select power output 10mw or 100mw - now with some "hack" maybe this could be "overclocked" - just wild speculation is all i'm saying.

I do remember an old wireless access point I had that had a hacked firmware available to boost its output and it really did make a difference.

Buzz

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London
The 770 has no external antenna port, so unless you are willing to open it up and hack one from the inside then you will be out of luck. Software will be the best way to try and boost the signal.

I was also puzzled by the power output setting buzzlightyear described.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hants, UK
You could set up a Wi-Fi repeater. Look into using a Linksys WRT54G with modified firmware (HyperWRT or Sveasoft). I'm not sure if you need access/permission from the "other end", I don't think so though. I think you should be able to do all the setup on the 770 too. The first thing to try is getting a connection outside, if that works then just put the Linksys in a waterproofed plastic box outside, otherwise try connecting the Linksys to a cantenna, although research this first to make sure you do it correctly, you would probably need to disable one of the external antennas.

Gareth

Originally Posted by buzzlightyear
Not sure about the antenna but when setting up a wireless connection the advanced settings include a dropdown to select power output 10mw or 100mw - now with some "hack" maybe this could be "overclocked" - just wild speculation is all i'm saying.
That woul need severe hacking, and BTW, it would be illegal (802.11 power output is legally limited).
Also, the further your AP is, the more sensitive your STA must be, and there is no way to hack that.

I would say that the best option would be a 802.11 repeater.

Thanks guys. I'm moving eventually to a RV park with wi-fi at each space so guess it's a matter of patience.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
I use a variety of wi-fi systems and find the easiest way to extend range is with aluminium foil stuck to a piece of card placed an inch or so behind the antenna.
Honestly, it's as simple as that.

Originally Posted by msaunby
I use a variety of wi-fi systems and find the easiest way to extend range is with aluminium foil stuck to a piece of card placed an inch or so behind the antenna.
Honestly, it's as simple as that.
I'm sure that works sometimes, but that's not the most reliable solution. It also isn't going to extend your range by very much. Also, the 770 would need to be kept in the same position to work.

Wifi repeaters are a reasonable idea. Another thing you could probably do is hack up a USB wifi interface - you'd need a cable, of course, and a powered hub, but it should work.

Software boosting of power is a very bad idea. It is illegal and it might damage your 770.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
A few ideas:
Replace the WiFi access point's antenna with a high-gain antenna.
Add a Wireless Repeater made by the same manufacturer as the existing equipment.
Move the WiFi access point away from anything made of metal.
Sit near the window or on the porch on the side toward the WiFi signal.

I think the user here does not have access to the access point. He just wants the range to be extended somehow to reach his 770. I would go with buzzlightyear option...and if that does not work, some kind of repeater is your other option.