Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hackney, London
Is there anywhere that has an output list or tree structure of the default n900 rootfs?

better still is there anywhere I can download these files?

I want to check files on my device because I've deleted files to free space and I want to check if these files have been replaced by newer files or are still missing

I have the image from Nokia gained by typing the number inside the case but I'm stuck on a mac without a microusb cable so I can't flash the .bin file

I also can't access the bin file, could I access it in Linux?

thanks

You're deleting files from the root partition without knowing what you're doing? Wtf?

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
thanks, i was thinking if i can get the sdk going i can compare filestructures (can i do this?)

I want to know what takes up all the space

is there a way to print file trees?
whats the best way to compare the rootfs with another?
print the directory to file and compare?

I'm looking for something a bit easier (more graphical) to look at than 'df' or 'du | more'

I will have to wait till tomorrow when I can play with the sdk

thanks

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well, first of all, depending on what you deleted, you may well have trashed your install. The thing about Linux is that it tracks all installed files (system and apps) in a database, and it really doesn't like you messing with the tracked files (or the database, for that matter) manually.
To answer your first question, if you want to list all of your files/folders, you could normally use ls --recursive, but the ls command on the N900 is a slimmed-down version, and I don't know if it has that switch.

The real question is, why are you running out of space? Deleting random files is likely to do major damage, and in any case isn't a proper solution. Have you been installing things from extras-devel? Due to the storage layout of the N900, apps have to be packaged properly or else they will fill it up really fast. I suspect some of the apps in extras-devel may not yet be done that way (they weren't all when I last checked).
No offense, but I think you may be messing with things that you don't understand fully, in which case it's usually better to ask before you take such drastic action. We've all done silly things when learning a new platform, but we're happy to help newbies to avoid doing those things themselves if we can. If your phone still works enough to run a backup, do that with the Backup app, and then reflash - that's my advice.

thanks, I have done a backup but I want to avoid just flashing it,

i have installed loads of apps from as many extra/devel/testing repos as i can find. I didn't realise about the space issue. I removed some apps via terminal (ssh from a keyboard i can type on). and then uninstalled most of the rest from app manager. still i have no space

what files can i delete and from where, or is there a cleanup script?

also app manager closes when i try to uncheck or delete the extra repos, is there a way to list and uninstall from terminal?

thanks

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ant View Post
is there a way to list and uninstall from terminal?
http://www.google.com/search?q=dpkg

although reflashing may be the most sensible thing to do now

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
ant, you have encountered the gtk-update-icon-cache bug. It leaks file system memory until your rootfs is filled up. This happens every time you install an app (every app will call gtk-update-icon-cache). The fix is to reboot your phone. You will have the correct amount of free space upon reboot. Nokia supposedly has this fixed in the next major update.

Don't delete any system files!

I think this root filling up fast situation is made worse because it is not apparent or easy for users new to linux to tell what is taking all the space. Application manager tells how much the apps are taking, but not where they are located at.

Something should be done or we are gonna have quite many of these when n900 gets readily available to the public, not just the early adopters.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I just did the following:

apt-get purge $(cat removelist)

Using the attached list as the removelist.

I have no use for the stuff I removed and they seem to have no ill effects FOR ME.

That should save a bit of space. Also you should try:
dpkg -S filename and then remove the package through apt-get purge package

This way you also see what other things might get affected by it and so on(i.e. it might remove/break mediaplayer or contacts etc...). Some in that list are obvious some not... example
hildon-desktop-application-shortcuts-mr0 <-- this removes the Ovi.desktop file :)

Not by randomly deleting things.
Attached Files
File Type: txt removelist.txt (2.5 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by ruskie; 2009-12-14 at 09:05. Reason: Stupid upload filter for .txt, bolded

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
BTW as for accessing the bin file once you unpack it with the flasher you can losetup loop0 binfile ; mount /dev/loop0 /somewhere and you can access it.