Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Hi,

this is from my desktop computer, running Debian Stretch with Marble 2.0.3, but at least here at maemo.org I know, we have Marble experts.

I've created a track in Marble, saved it in KML format, and can load this track succesfully in another Marble instance. So far, so good.

Now I want to share this track with some friends, and I guess they will prefer GPX. So I exported the track directly from Marble into GPX.
Because I see no obvious way to import a GPX track, I opened it in Marble from a file browser. A new Marble instance starts but there is no sign of the track anywhere.

My second attempt was to export the KML track via gpsbabel (1.5.3, also from Debian Stretch) into GPX, as described in [1]:
Code:
gpsbabel -i kml -f input.kml -o gpx -F output.gpx
If I import that GPX file in Marble, I see the waypoints, but no actual track or routing info.

I've attached an example track from Berlin main station to Tegel airport, that's not my actual route, but it shows the problem.

[1] https://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Trac...verting_Tracks
Btw1: the command in the KDE wiki has a typo, the -F for the output actually needs to be upper case.

Btw2: Why would I have to be in some "developer's group", to create threads in the software section?
Attached Files
File Type: gz marble_berlin_hbf_txl.tar.gz (9.5 KB, 68 views)

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
If I import that GPX file in Marble, I see the waypoints, but no actual track or routing info.
I don't know marble but the gpx file "berlin_hbf_txl_marble_export.gpx" looks ok also in gpxsee it loads ok. Maybe something wrong with the marble parsing.

Try to import it without the route part (list of waypoints) and see if you can see the track in marble.

So delete:
Code:
<rte> .... </rte>
and everything in between.

When this is also not working then try to delete following two lines:
Code:
    <trkseg>
    </trkseg>
and try to fix the indent. So that it is simple and short. But other programs really need the track segment opening and closing.

For the other file berlin_hbf_txl_gpsbabel.gpx the first tracksegment has no elevation value and has a short closing of the trackpoint which could maybe lead to a parsing error in Marble.

Also in gpxsee it looks funny and different to compare to the other gpx file, because there are so many tracks. Looks like that different segments are now tracks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
I don't know marble but the gpx file "berlin_hbf_txl_marble_export.gpx" looks ok also in gpxsee it loads ok. Maybe something wrong with the marble parsing.
I guess you're right.
Loading it in QLandkarteGT worked fine.

Try to import it without the route part (list of waypoints) and see if you can see the track in marble.

So delete:
Code:
<rte> .... </rte>
and everything in between.

When this is also not working then try to delete following two lines:
Code:
    <trkseg>
    </trkseg>
and try to fix the indent.
I tried all three steps (rte, trkseg, indent), adding one after another, but stil, nothing showed up in Marble.
The final file also didn't show anything in QLandkarteGT.

For the other file berlin_hbf_txl_gpsbabel.gpx the first tracksegment has no elevation value and has a short closing of the trackpoint which could maybe lead to a parsing error in Marble.

Also in gpxsee it looks funny and different to compare to the other gpx file, because there are so many tracks. Looks like that different segments are now tracks.
It also looks funny in QLandkarteGT. I'm not familiar with this program, but the track is made up of several colorful pieces, which could indicate, that it's indeed seen as multiple tracks. It gets more colorful towards the end though.

So, as a preliminary verdict, you'd say the original Marble GPX export is ok?

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
So, as a preliminary verdict, you'd say the original Marble GPX export is ok?
Yes, ten chars.

The Following User Says Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post: