Notices

Hello,

I am using a Nokia N900.

I want to use an Instant messenger.
One of my friends (who has an Android based smartphone) suggested wire.
(https://wire.com)

However, I think that the N900 is not fulfilling the specs for the browser based access.
I tried to download and built the open source client for wire from github, but did not manage to do that due to openssh related error (" [...] error:1407742E:SSL [...]")

My two principal questions are therefore:

1. Does anyone know, whether it makes sense (is possible) to get wire running on maemo?

And/or:

2. Which other instant messenger would you suggest in 2018 on the N900?
(Preferably with end-to-end encryption cross plattform.)
I am more than happy for any input and open to any approach, which might help to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to leifmos For This Useful Post:
In case you're an avid instant messenger, you likely recognize what I signify: "Texting doesn't work for me, does it work for you?" Yet I give off an impression of being headed to turning into a minority, a fuddy-flop opposing the content talk party. Texting, or IM, is getting on with grown-ups bigly as it moves quickly into the work environment, as indicated by ongoing achieve essays reviews.

Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
With pidgin you can use Telegram but be sure to change setting of downloading history. Change it to two days and try to unflag unneccesary contacts or else it will take ages for the app to update messages and it will open all contacts as default. I have been able to send messages with web telegram. But you have to put the phone number and let the app choose the country, not vice versa. And it takes about 10 minutes to generate the key and then you have 2 minutes to put the code they send via sms. Used with opera 12 testing. But it does not save the key so can't really use that way unless someone figures out how to save the key. Have thought that could it be possible to use web telegram with netsurf browser through easy debbie.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Thanks for this effort.
Have you been using Wire on a desktop PC? It can be dead slow in collecting messages. It runs as some kind of web application in a window.
So if you were to get it working on Maemo, I 'd expect a scenario as Maemish describes but than even worse. Slow and painful.

I think Jolla would be our best bet.

That said, I am a supporter of Wire (after using Jitsi, it seem that Wire is much more user friendly)
Wire are the de facto Skype replacement and they offer a balanced mix of privacy & professional options.
The only way to get rid of the awkward situation where our phones batteries are being sucked dry because of the need to please every contacts need to use a different messenger is to have a good one elegantly and efficiently integrated in the smartphone OS.

Just like the Nokia N900 offered with SIP, XMPP, Skype,... out of the box.
Enter your accounts and call.
Tears in the eyes beautiful to be able to see which contact can be called by which protocol straight from the contacts list.

As long as we continue to call these devices phones, I find it ironic that so little effort is being done to improve its functionality as a phone.

While wire could be integrated in Sailfish OS, Jolla can't even get an integrated SIP sorted out for calling. Because that is waaay to complicated, right? Because we all use Facebook to communicate, isn't it?
Let alone setup a meeting with Wire to integrate their service into the Sailfish OS.

The beautiful integrated internet chat/call functionality might as well have been one of the reasons why nobody stood up for Nokia when it got drained from its lifeline towards a successful future with MeeGo Maemo story.
By killing profits of traditional telecom providers who'd prefer to keep us stuck in the nineties for voice calls + charge a year 2000 premium for SMS, you don't make good friends in political and business circles.