Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
Have been following the Pro 1 with some excitement. I cannot decide whether to pay for my pre-order.
Can any one provide an update on the Sailfish port. Particularly:
- are all functions working yet?
- is it expected that anything will be problematic?
- is battery performance reasonable?
Is everyone here buying it on the assumption that a Sailfish port will be in good order, or do you all plan on running Android?
Thanks in advance,

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juz View Post
Have been following the Pro 1 with some excitement. I cannot decide whether to pay for my pre-order.
Can any one provide an update on the Sailfish port. Particularly:
- are all functions working yet?
- is it expected that anything will be problematic?
- is battery performance reasonable?
Is everyone here buying it on the assumption that a Sailfish port will be in good order, or do you all plan on running Android?
Thanks in advance,
I can't reply to all of your questions, and I'm afraid that nobody can. But obviously all functions aren't not yet working in the Sailfish port. And, as you might already know, proprietary functions, like Android app support for example, are not included to unofficial ports. So one could say that "all functions" aren't even going to be available, at least if Jolla won't decide to make official version of Sailfish for the Pro1. But if I haven't mistaken, the Sailfish port for the Pro1 is in Alpha stage right now, so the porters probably haven't been too worried about things like battery life.

I'm personally going with Android at least in the beginning. I got frustrated to Sailfish while using Jolla phone/Jolla C/Oneplus X w/ Sailfish port. So for me Sailfish on the Pro1 is not a must, but of course it would be great thing to happen. Personally I'd rather see Maemo-Leste or some other proper Linux distro on the Pro1, along with multiboot ability. But right now everything I hope for is that they manage to actually publish and produce the Pro1 and they find enough customers to succeed.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Koirus,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is good to get your thoughts.
Not fussed about missing android compatibility etc.
I do want a reliable everyday phone though. I guess it is best for me to hold off for a little and see how Sailfish goes on release. Then cross my fingers there will be some stock available!
Anyone else with some inside information on the porting progress?
Thanks again,

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by juz View Post
Anyone else with some inside information on the porting progress?
Thanks again,
No, but you can easily approach the porters yourself, thank them and ask
One thing i know is Mister_Magister is reading since he mocked me writing all the porters names wrong in previous post (), maybe he could end lurking mode and share some tiny bit of insight

What was said and shown at Froscon is now very comprehensively (as always) wrapped up in Leszeks SailfishOS Podcast!

EDIT: To spare you all some time i did a short Q&A with Michał and here is a wrap up:

Only the second camera on back seems to be a real challenge not doable without reinventing the whole feature eg. "implement own algorithm to use it for that stupid effect."

But Selfi camera works as Chen tested on usual suspect subjects

wifi kinda works but not fully

nfc works

dualsim works

sensors are working i recall. one unit latest had it working on froscon. iirc they are a little bit buggy aka not always working
making sensors stable and gps working is on todo list and totally doable

it has 4.4 kernel getting anbox to work should be piece of cake

i think it will be pretty stable to use and possible anbox so android app support

Currently not fully working or no information:

fingerprint won't work until jolla opensource it

external display might be challenging

i can't say anything about battery life cause i have prototype not final device

gps is not working iirc

Bluetooth is buggy

video playing is not working but thats fixable

on screen keyboard doesn't show up after bootup you need to open and close keyboard

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-13 at 12:45.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
I wish someone makes a phone the size of a N9 with decent specs (a top end processor, please!!) and running Sailfish of course!!! Jolla 2 anyone?!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Hi Mosen,
Thanks for that great update. It is very good to hear that things are progressing well. I had pondered asking on #sailfishos-porters, but figured they have plenty on their plates - your summary is perfect.
Considering I am a one device person, and it seems like availability will be good post launch, I am going to hold off until I see a port ready for daily usage.
I am wanting success! It all is looking good.
Thanks again,

Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
[...]
I'm hoping that the next device (Pro2? Pro2 S? ) will be a lot smaller, ...
To make the keyboard as bad to use with clumsy fingers as the TOHkb for the Jolla 1 and the N900's keyboard?
No thanks, IMHO a 5,2" screen and consequently a keyboard with its width is the smallest practically usable size (at least for people over 40)!

... and will be fully 'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.)
Oh no, that would be the perfect route for F(X)tec to kill their enterprise: Developing an Operating System.
Purism tries that, it takes years (by which such a device is delayed), bears huge technical and business risks, costs a lot of money and thus significantly increases the price of the device (by ca. €500 for the Librem).
Side note: I have some doubts, that Purism will survive this well, and am absolutely sure, the their software stack will not be practically usable for a power-user before 2021.

F(x)tec provides an open Bootloader plus no loss of warranty whatever has been flashed (as long as you manage to reflash the original Android software stack before sending it in), and I definitely do not want them to do more than that.
They are an excellent hardware provider and as such they already have to care much too much about low-level software (kernel adaptions etc.).

and with hardware kill-switches for at least cameras and microphone.
"Hardware kill-switches" are primarily good for those, who do not trust their software stack to control these peripherals properly.
If so, you should not use that software stack at all, thus implementing kill switches just increases parts count and mechanical complexity for no real gain.

Last edited by olf; 2019-08-13 at 14:06.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
it has 4.4 kernel getting anbox to work should be piece of cake

i think it will be pretty stable to use and possible anbox so android app support
Can you elaborate on that? Last time I checked, and I check on a regular basis since a long time, Anbox was more a proof of concept than something one could use on a smartphone. Actually, even on a full fledged Linux distribution for desktop, it is quite complicated because there is no real snap of Anbox. The snap they provide is just some sort of script to facilitate the installation of related ppa, hence restricted to Debian/Ubuntu distributions.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
Not me, that would turn funny quite fast.
Would be interested myself in hearing about the viability of using anbox for the basics pain tasks like whatsapp and bank apps.
Last time i used anbox on Nexus5 the OS integration was practically non existant. Did i get right that anbox has to be "adapted" per device, but OS integration is the same for all devices with same OS?

EDIT, Michał answered your question:
Anbox is working on sailfishos on some devices but the dev working on it kinda stopped doing it

Anbox video

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-13 at 15:33.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
To make the keyboard as bad to use with clumsy fingers as the TOHkb for the Jolla 1 and the N900's keyboard?
No thanks, IMHO a 5,2" screen and consequently a keyboard with its width is the smallest practically usable size (at least for people over 40)!
Well, I guess that's a real matter of personal preference then, because I personally thought the N900 was perfect in it's size, including the keyboard I'm a big guy (1.95m) with big hands, by the way.

Oh no, that would be the perfect route for F(X)tec to kill their enterprise: Developing an Operating System.
Purism tries that, it takes years (by which such a device is delayed), bears huge technical and business risks, costs a lot of money and thus significantly increases the price of the device (by ca. €500 for the Librem).
How do you read 'develop your own OS' when I say 'free bootloader to load whatever you want'?

"Hardware kill-switches" are primarily good for those, who do not trust their software stack to control these peripherals properly.
If so, you should not use that software stack at all, thus implementing kill switches just increases parts count and mechanical complexity for no real gain.
I wonder, have you followed the development of the Neo900, and do you know why so much effort was put into separating the memory used by the phone's modem from the memory used by the CPU/rest of the system? It's because the modem is running on a proprietary software blob of which you do not know what it does. We have no choice but to use it however, otherwise you have non-working modem, and thus no telephony functionality. The modem might read shared memory, maybe influence it as well. So, your assumption is right: I do not trust the software stack. Hence why the Neo900 was attempting to detach/sandbox the modem as much as possible, as Purism is doing with it's Neo900, and built in hardware kill switches as well, as both Purism and PinePhone are doing.

I find your manner of thinking strange. It's the same as: "why include a 3.5mm headphone jack? I won't use it anyway". Sure, but maybe other people would? If you don't want to use hardware kill-switches, simply don't.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit