Active Topics

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
@9000 - I've done your test in x-terminal outdoor and indoor , and yes , sensor was closed while outdoor . Phone didn't suffer physical damage and I don't use a pouch .
In this case you can only take your N900 to care center for repair.

Well , I won't because I've heard some people got prox sensor replaced and this problem occured again .

I understand that you still want to change its sensitivity. However, from what you're describing it's more like an interference case than the sensitivity issue. I'd send it back for repair if it's still under warranty if I were you.

Good luck.

The way the proximity sensor works is that it emits ifrared light, which bounces off something nearby (like a face) and is detected by the other side of the sensor (that's why there is a dividing line down the middle).
Unfortunately, sunlight also contains infrared light, which is why it is triggering the sensor. Same thing with a lamp. This is an inherent flaw in any infrared proximity sensor, and not a software or hardware problem. Replacing it will probably not fix anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
The way the proximity sensor works is that it emits ifrared light, which bounces off something nearby (like a face) and is detected by the other side of the sensor (that's why there is a dividing line down the middle).
Unfortunately, sunlight also contains infrared light, which is why it is triggering the sensor. Same thing with a lamp. This is an inherent flaw in any infrared proximity sensor, and not a software or hardware problem. Replacing it will probably not fix anything.
But is reacting to sunlight and bulblight default behaviour? Mine doesn't react to sunlight, to get it to react to my 20W CFL bulb I had to hold it ~2cm from the bulb and I couldn't get it to react at all to a 40W incandescent bulb. I do have a screen protector but it has a cutout so the proximity sensor isn't covered.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
But is reacting to sunlight and bulblight default behaviour? Mine doesn't react to sunlight, to get it to react to my 20W CFL bulb I had to hold it ~2cm from the bulb and I couldn't get it to react at all to a 40W incandescent bulb. I do have a screen protector but it has a cutout so the proximity sensor isn't covered.
If you get the bulb too close the proximity sensor would be closed no matter what.

Anyway, a screen protector does not necessary inhabit the sensibility. I read from other forum that an anti-glare protector would actually help in some cases.

I didn't recommend this as a solution as I don't have a proof on that claim. I just want to say you may not need to punch a hole on the screen protector to improve sensor effectiveness.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
If you get the bulb too close the proximity sensor would be closed no matter what.
Yeah, I know, but I thought I'd report my results accurately.

Anyway, a screen protector does not necessary inhabit the sensibility.
You mean "inhibit the sensitivity".

It can do, but yeah, may not necessarily do so, and Nokia say the sensor shouldn't be covered by a screen protector, besides my protector came with that part already cut out and the reason I mentioned it was in case anyone thought it affected my results.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
@9000 - I would send it back for repair but I don't have warranty . Anyway , I'm using unlock button when someone calls me or end a call . Thanks for your help 9000 .

Done , I fixed it myself , I put a little piece of diskette tape on a half of sensor , now it works fine .

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Done , I fixed it myself , I put a little piece of diskette tape on a half of sensor , now it works fine .
Thanks for your feedback.

That is a very interesting hack. You are genius.

Tags
just shoot me