Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rochester, NY
I have been running into this issue since I got my 770 and was just curious if there was a common cause? The only software I installed was GAIM, the cpu status bar monitor, the weather applet and minimo.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I eliminated additional software last night and it was working fine. Brought it into work this morning and it was stuck in a reboot loop when I powered on. I am currently reflashing it using the nokia software.

Is there anything I should avoid or be on the lookout for that might cause this issue?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by gostt
I have been running into this issue since I got my 770 and was just curious if there was a common cause? The only software I installed was GAIM, the cpu status bar monitor, the weather applet and minimo.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I eliminated additional software last night and it was working fine. Brought it into work this morning and it was stuck in a reboot loop when I powered on. I am currently reflashing it using the nokia software.

Is there anything I should avoid or be on the lookout for that might cause this issue?

The weather applet is your problem.
The wather applet is known to cause reboot loops.

Try OMWeather Instead.

Thanks SeRi@lDiE. It was pretty frustrating to think it was working and have it start looping on me again after a few hours. I'll take a look at OMWeather now.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I installed the weather applet a few month ago and it was doing the reboot loop....
I uninstalled it and it stop the reboot loop... Than looking for a update I found this note on the Maemo Weather Wip...

Code:
Serious bug: mweather home applet very often causes the desktop process to crash during boot time, causing a reboot loop. Every now and then it boots successfully. (FWIW I tried to cause successfull boots by e.g. plugging in the USB cable or by repeatedly pressing random hardware keys; I'm not sure if these had any effect). Booting until after the desktop crashes, then pluging in the charging cable, "powering off" (which actually just suspends the 770) and powering back on may caused the applet crash not to take down the whole desktop which will allow you to uninstall it.

I saw that note as well after you let me know about the problem. The loop wasn't happening consistently for me (I'd get several good boots before going into the loop) so I didn't suspect the weather applet and was uninstalling all sorts of apps instead.

Thanks again for the tip

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Any known applets / programs that can cause the reboot loop in OS2008?

My status bar makes it 80% of the way across before the blue light of death starts flashing and the tablet reboots.

Thankfully, the hosed OS2008 is on a MMC partition, so I can chroot into the bad OS and apt-get remove until I figure out what I did.

EDIT: Is there anything I can "apt-get install --reinstall" that will put my desktop settings back to "normal"?

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-28 at 22:36.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I found out what the problem was. Somehow my /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf file got messed up; it was replaced with a script to run another application. I copied a "good" version back over the messed up one, and the desktop booted.

Sorry to bother you all.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hey, guys, I'm really sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I've got the same problem as Qole...

My N810 won't boot from the mmc... the loading bar gets to about 60% then the blue light flashes and it dies back to the Nokia symbol and dumps me back in the bootmenu.

I can boot into the flash and I can chroot into the OS... So my question is then: How can I diagnose the problem and find out what to edit/delete/uninstall/whatever to save my OS partition?

Thanks in advance for any help Man, what a time for everything to go down the tubes :/

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

For me, I had to think to myself, "what was I doing during my last session?" and then I looked at all of the files that I had modified. I found the problem in a very unlikely place, so look at all of the config files you edited, files you copied, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hmm... that's just the thing... I hadn't done anything... except remove the battery for a second, but I can't imagine that would hurt the device (the device was already off)

I had opened the process controller in the system panel but I hadn't disabled anything (to my knowledge) And that was the last thing I did prior to a shutdown... I had also installed Python again in an attempt to get rid of the stupid gconf error which is not going away (if anyone has info on that, I'd be very thankful as well :P and yes I did try installing youamp)

Hmm... when I chroot into my mmcOS I run the following:

Code:
$ root
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc22
# chroot /mnt/mmc22
However, I can't run any gui programs... Is there any way I can launch a gui program from this chroot? (this probably requires starting the sapwood/hildondesktop server huh?) or barring that is there a way to access the control panel through the command line?

Also, if it's helpful this is what I get when I run ls /etc/init.d/ :

Code:
af-base-apps
af-services
af-startup
alarmd
bluez-utils
brightness-permission
btcond
dbus
dnsmasq
dsp-init
esd
fb-progress.sh
fuse
glibc.sh
gpsdriver
hal
hildon-application-manager
hildon-desktop
hulda
icd2
ke-recv
libgpsbt
local.sh
maemo-launcher
mce
mediaplayer-daemon
metalayer-crawler0
minireboot
minishutdown
multimediad
myfile.txt
networking
obexsrv
osso-applet-display
osso-ipv6
osso-systemui
osso-systemui-early
product-code
python-launcher
rc
rcS
sbrshd
ssh
supllistenerd
tablet-browser-daemon
ttyusb0
wide-dhcpv6-client
wlancond
x-server
zzinitdone
Am I missing anything crucial here?

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.