Active Topics

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Is anyone else getting as annoyed by the constant "fixed in fremantle" comments on bugzilla? OK, it's great that things are getting fixed, but that doesn't help us now, does it?

We don't have a real ETA on fremantle, and we don't enough know for definite if it will be ported to the n800/n810. Best guesses are talking Q2 next year, so best case we're looking at 4 months to see these fixes. In some respects, that's even more annoying than not fixing bugs; at least if things aren't going to be fixed officially you can start to look for alternatives.

The HTC Touch HD is here already, with a screen almost as good as the nokia's, 3G, GPS, etc... OK, so there's no hardware keyboard, and it runs winmo, but at least it's here now.

I love my n800, but I really want an update ...

</rant>

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You rather prefer Fremantle's part of Bugzilla to be closed?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Not really. TBH, I'm just fed up with receiving emails saying somethings fixed, getting all excited, then finding out I'm going to have to wait another 4+ months to see the fix. If we get to see them at all.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess a lot of users are happy with their tablet, hardware-wise, byt want to see some software issues fixed.

with the recent economic events, and the lack of info about what hardware fremantle will run on, one wonders if said problems will only be fixed by buying a whole new tablet. something one may not be able to afford...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Like TSO said, my n800 does what I want from a hardware perspective, it just needs a few minor fixes. Like this one.

Although I do want a shiny new toy, but then I'm a geek, so I always want a new toy

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing
Because we are developing Maemo 5 with an UI and application framework that uses Clutter-based hardware graphics acceleration, it is not trivial to make the same code run on devices that do not have hardware-based graphics acceleration.
Just saw this on this thread. That more or less confirms that we won't be getting fremantle back-ported, and so won't be getting the bug-fixes back-ported. 770 all over again?

At least with microsoft/apple you know that they're going to shaft you up-front (not that I'd EVER buy an apple product).

Déjà vu... the same thing happened to OS2006 bugs on the 770 when the N800 and OS2007 came out.

This is 770-land all over again.

To illustrate, below is a question I posted to the Maemo ML last October about Diablo on the 770 as an update to OS2008HE. And Quim Gil's anwser, which was forthcoming and honest.

I think it's clear where we're headed with the N8x0 generation and Fremantle.

> > On Oct 27, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Urivan Saaib wrote:
>> >> I've been playing with Diablo on my n770 for several months. It has
>> >> been
>> >> fairly stable.
> >
> > No, you've been playing with Chinook. Diablo is not available for the
> > 770.

Well, this is a question I've meant to ask Quim for a while now, so here
is my opportunity. I've asked it here before without an answer, but some
threads on ITT have brought it back to light recently.

Despite the disparaging remarks by the Maemo team when OS2008HE came out
("end-of-the-line", "too much for the poor beast" etc.), quite a few
people (including me) are satisfied with it breathing a new life into
their old 770. Maemo Mapper in particular, a rare example of commitment
to maintaining a native maemo app on all NIT platforms, works just fine
on it.

The problem we are having now is that some recent apps, or their Diablo
upgrades, fail to install or run, although they could be really useful
on a home-bound 770 : to name a few, Canola, Maemo remote (which also
uses EFL), or liqbase...

So, before the Fremantle wave definitely buries the 770 platform (and
maybe the N8x0 too), it would be really good to see a final update
bringing the main Diablo improvements to OS2008HE, so that it can still
run the latest relevant apps.

Is there any chance this will happen ?
Not from Nokia's side. We rather invest our time in
http://wiki.maemo.org/Objective:Maemo_variants so whoever can come up
with customized editions at will.

Anybody interested in this objective (and removing the obstacles in the
way) please propose specific tasks and file specific bugs/requests.

About the rest of the thread, how useful is it to discuss before Nokia
publishes the maemo 5 API and announces a product shipping it? Enjoy
your current devices! Fremantle is not even in alpha. The N810 WiMAX
edition just started the sales few days ago (running the very same
software inside). No matter what happens with Fremantle the N800/N810
users are going to benefit from this.

-- Quim Gil marketing manager, open source Maemo Software @ Nokia

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Is anyone else getting as annoyed by the constant "fixed in fremantle" comments on bugzilla? OK, it's great that things are getting fixed, but that doesn't help us now, does it?
This discussion just can't seem to die. Each release has a lifetime, eventually you have to move on to the next release. All software companies do this, just be happy that Nokia is open enough for you to find out about bugfixes 6 months before a release. . . .

We don't have a real ETA on fremantle, and we don't enough know for definite if it will be ported to the n800/n810. Best guesses are talking Q2 next year, so best case we're looking at 4 months to see these fixes.
Really, honestly, it doesn't matter as much as everybody seems to think it will if Nokia provides an official release for OMAP2 hardware. Fremantle is significantly more open in practically every respect than Diablo, and this will make it much easier to put together a community backport. Either way, let's get a little closer to the real thing before we decide that it will or it wont be released based on incomplete information. . . .

You would prefer they pull an exact date out of thin air, then meet that whether or not the software is ready? Or not meet it at all and just keep pushing it back? It's pretty clear from the SDK timeline approximately when it'll be released: Summer 2009.

In some respects, that's even more annoying than not fixing bugs; at least if things aren't going to be fixed officially you can start to look for alternatives.
Hardly, I don't know how long you've been involved in the Bugzilla game, but not getting a reply at all (which is typically how it worked) is way more irritating.

The HTC Touch HD is here already, with a screen almost as good as the nokia's, 3G, GPS, etc... OK, so there's no hardware keyboard, and it runs winmo, but at least it's here now.
Sure, but it isn't using a Cortex A8, just another slow ARM11.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
At least with microsoft/apple you know that they're going to shaft you up-front (not that I'd EVER buy an apple product).
Don't compare the desktop market to the embedded one, they aren't even remotely similar (do you get OS upgrades with WinMob or Palm? . . .). Let's see what Apple does when they actually have a generational upgrade that's more than just slapping a GPS and a 3G modem on a generation 1 iPhone. . . .

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I don't know how long you've been involved in the Bugzilla game, but not getting a reply at all (which is typically how it worked) is way more irritating.
Personally, I find being told that something is fixed but I can't have it more annoying than being told nothing. Ignorance is bliss, after all.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Sure, but it isn't using a Cortex A8, just another slow ARM11.
I've not had any major speed complaints about the my n800, so that's not much of an issue. Reading email, playing mp3s and browsing a few websites doesn't require much power.

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant