Oh,

and if anything, this product WOULD definitely warm me to an iPhone.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by remjax View Post
After spending time searching this forum and reading the various reviews it like the Nokia N800 COULD replace my Dell X50v. It only needs better Video performance and USB Host capability to be complete.

Its larger screen will help my eyes but what is holding me up, besides a complete lack of linux knowledge, is the reports of screen problems and the random reboots. Since Nokia Service seems to be less than ideal I am wondering what is the chance of getting a bad unit? It seems to be high but I know a person usually only reports problems not sucess.

Also how hard is the N800 to figure out for the complete Newbe? Seems Nokia could take some lessons from MS and Apple in making a consistant user interface. It seems to be incomplete in many areas. ???
The more serious problems are extremely rare. I have 95% confidence any random purchaser will not experience them (sorry, can't divulge the details!). They only seem more prevalent than they really are here due to the nature of this forum.

The device isn't hard to figure out-- for general use. It gets progressively more difficult the deeper you get into usability that isn't readily available. However, you will find this forum a valuable resource there.

I spoke too soon in vouching for the RSS reader. Under some circumstances, the cache gets corrupted and it would lock the device up (triggering automatic reboot), until you remove the cache manually.

How did you remove the cache manually?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2007 @ A moon of planet Nokia
I have just picked up a N800 and I have no reboots and no screen problems.
The device works as promised, but feels a bit 'unfinished'. Streaming audio/video is 90% NOT working (trust me, I've tried) and the device itself is not 100% stable yet. But firmware updates may improve these problems.
The biggest let-down to me personally is the unfunctional videoconferencing. Google Talk? Don't think so. Jabber? Don't think so either. Skype? Where?

I really like the N800, but it's still in beta in my opinion. I think Nokia rushed it because of all the other gadgets (like iPhone) being released. The N800 got great potential though.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
I have just picked up a N800 and I have no reboots and no screen problems.
The device works as promised, but feels a bit 'unfinished'. Streaming audio/video is 90% NOT working (trust me, I've tried) and the device itself is not 100% stable yet. But firmware updates may improve these problems.
The biggest let-down to me personally is the unfunctional videoconferencing. Google Talk? Don't think so. Jabber? Don't think so either. Skype? Where?

I really like the N800, but it's still in beta in my opinion. I think Nokia rushed it because of all the other gadgets (like iPhone) being released. The N800 got great potential though.
It is quite common and acceptable in Open Source to release beta-quality software and rely heavily on the feedback of users.

So, congratulations! you're a N800 beta-tester. Welcome to the fold. Resistence is futile, etc...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nokia didn't rush the N800 due to the iPhone; they're not really in the same device space. Nokia's intent was to gain the early foothold into the wifi-enabled internet device space.

Yes, there are certainly some gaps, and they're being addressed. Just hang tight where missing functionality is concerned, and enjoy the other functions!

Hmm, maybe my post sounded a little negative. Not my intention.
I like the N800 a lot, I really do. But I feel that, when polished, it could be great. Browsing is neat, but could be better. Wifi reception is very good.
The screen is brilliant in every way, the resolution just about perfect. The zooming function is very good and smooth.
The camera is next to useless now. I don't get that. And streaming doesn't work at all. Don't get that either.

Overall, at this point: Nice gadget. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes, I enjoy that. But don't wait too long with the fixes...

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
ha, einstein, all your sentiments were echoed a year ago with the n770 and the fix was to issue the n800!

lol@Phi

Well yeah, I agree. But the 770 was to slow to be useful. The N800 has greater potential. (I hope...)
I'll keep my fingers crossed.