I am using the latest 2007HE edition, and /usr/bin/ias crashes a lot. In fact, every day or so, the tablet reboots and /var/lib/dmse/stats/lifeguard_restarts tells me that /usr/bin/ias was the last one restarted.

What is your experience with respect to stability?

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
I'm running the version just previous to the latest one and find it reasonably stable. What I mean by "reasonably stable" is that it will go for about three or four days with relatively light usage (i.e. RSS feeds and the web) before it will crash.

I get a warning too before it crashes as the sound of the screen taps disappears first and then about five or six seconds later the tablet reboots. If I exit the application I'm using in those five or six seconds then the sound of the screen taps returns and the crash is averted.

I can live with it crashing every three or four days - if it was crashing every day then I'd reflash to OS2006.

Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
I get a warning too before it crashes as the sound of the screen taps disappears first and then about five or six seconds later the tablet reboots. If I exit the application I'm using in those five or six seconds then the sound of the screen taps returns and the crash is averted.
so it really comes from the sound system! Can you confirm the role of ias?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Enabling swap space greatly improves stability on the 770. The device may crash if it runs out of memory. With swap space this won't happen so soon.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Enabling swap space greatly improves stability on the 770. The device may crash if it runs out of memory. With swap space this won't happen so soon.
I already have 64Mb of swap. I renamed /usr/bin/ias and killed ias, we will see.

Note that it crashes when I do not use it, one xterm (or whatever) loaded. It is therefore a system problem.

I have a few messages about jffs problems (check_node_data: wrong data CRC etc), can it be related to my reboots

It's good, almost no crash recently. Althoug my card is screwed and I can't allocate any swap.

The browser crashes when I try to login to the hotspot at my school (on an encrypted webpage with a certificate) and that's really annoying. But it happened on 2006 OS as well.

More information: ias is responsible for the touchscreen sounds; the above comment makes therefore sense.

Eero Tamminen thinks that it comes from a dsp reset.

Renaming ias does not improve the reboot situation.

I have noticed that some days (not all of them), the device reboots at 11:58pm, but retutime does not indicate any alarm. Any idea?

my 770 on 2007HE doesnt really 'crash', but it started running extremely slow, to the point where once the screen goes black/idle, tapping the screen takes many seconds to bring the display back on, and then you can watch every element repaint. At times I can just turn ont he unit, let it sit idle for a few minutes, then try to do anything, and its dead unusably slow. Hardware buttons dont respond, and I end up pulling the battery to turn it off. But it doesn't really 'crash'

Originally Posted by dcy View Post
I have noticed that some days (not all of them), the device reboots at 11:58pm, but retutime does not indicate any alarm. Any idea?
Have you tried going into the Clock app and setting an alarm then removing them alarm?
This has helped me in the past.
As far as I understand there is a special area of memory that is used for the alarm system. If this area becomes corrupt in some way you get reboots at 12AM every day.
Cheers,
John

Originally Posted by rally25rs View Post
my 770 on 2007HE doesnt really 'crash', but it started running extremely slow
It looks like a metacrawler problem. Do you have a link to / in your home directory or elsewhere?