Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Hi all.

I got my N900s in 2010, so the USB dangers were well known to me beforehand. Accordingly, I took great care of my USB port, and it's been fine up until now. In the last couple of weeks I noticed it wasn't charging at work where I have it plugged into my PC. It also wasn't syncing. I then noticed Windows was telling me the USB device wasn't recognised.

Strangely though, it was charging from wall chargers fine. I then discovered the same device not recognised error at home. I tried updating Nokia Suite, to no avail.

I figured that one or both of my D+/D- pins had come loose, and the VBUS and GNDs were probably fine, hence the charging from wall chargers. The port itself feels solid. So I research USB repair on here, and disassembled my spare N900 for practise. I figured all I'd have to do is reflow the solder on a cracked joint to fix my issues (as shown here)...but then I saw how constrained the work area is once you prise off the memory card board. I cut away some of the EMF shielding and figured if I filed down one of my tips I had a chance of pulling it off.

I then had a brainwave - I plugged in a USB cable to my main N900, stuck a multimeter probe into the full-size connector, then used the test pads under the battery to check continuity.

Unexpectedly, D+ and D- are fine.

I decided to disassemble just in case, and low and behold, the joints look fine too. So I'm lost.

Has anyone got any ideas why my N900 isn't being recognised any more?

EDIT:
I should also throw in that when I switch it off and load up bootmenu, using the console option I can see kernel messages, and I can see that the battery charges fine from my work PC via USB.

Last edited by mr_jrt; 2013-02-03 at 16:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
When we are at it, does backupmenu mass-storage mode work for you, or produce same results?

Have you tried hostmode on N900, to be entirely sure, that both USB modes are not working properly?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
When we are at it, does backupmenu mass-storage mode work for you, or produce same results?

Have you tried hostmode on N900, to be entirely sure, that both USB modes are not working properly?

/Estel
As soon as my PC detects the phone I get the "unrecognised device", so yes, BM's MS mode does the same.

Even if I put the phone in flash mode (holding u whilst starting) it is not recognised. I fully expected to open it up and see cracked joints which would explain this...but if all pins have continuity to the test pads...

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Few thoughts to help identify problem...
- What messages appear on the phone, when you plug it in?
- Which Windows is your PC using, is the problem the same with other versions, or has the OS had any updates recently?
- What happens if you use a different cable, or different device with same cable?
- How about using another OS (non windows) - what messages appear?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Few thoughts to help identify problem...
- What messages appear on the phone, when you plug it in?
- Which Windows is your PC using, is the problem the same with other versions, or has the OS had any updates recently?
- What happens if you use a different cable, or different device with same cable?
- How about using another OS (non windows) - what messages appear?
1) "Connected to USB device.
Current state charging only."

I select PC Suite mode. Dialog disappears. Status menu says
"USB connected
PC Suite mode".

Will grab kernel logging using HME when I get home.

2) Windows 7 at Work, Windows XP SP3 at home.

3) Different device with same cable is fine at home.

4) Will try when I get home.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Have you checked the contacts from inside the port. Last summer I once used low quality cable to connect my N900 to car charger and the connector actually short circuited and some of the plastic from the connector melted over the connection pins in n900 so it would not get contact until I scraped the plastic of with a bent sewing needle. After that it worked quite fine until last week when I again somehow decided to use low quality cable and ripped the whole port of. Now I'm waiting for replacement from KLC to arrive tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
1) "Connected to USB device.
Current state charging only."

I select PC Suite mode. Dialog disappears. Status menu says
"USB connected
PC Suite mode".

Will grab kernel logging using HME when I get home.
So it seems that the phone thinks you're plugged in to the PC, and what is the output from
ls /home/user/MyDocs
when plugged in?

What messages display if you select mass storage?

2) Windows 7 at Work, Windows XP SP3 at home.
OK, so problem is not fussy about which windows is in use!

3) Different device with same cable is fine at home.
Have you tried to clean the whole USB area, on both the cable and the device? If there are little bits of pocket-lint and other gunk, try gently using a toothpick.

4) Will try when I get home.
Look forward to hearing what happens with a live disk.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Ok, here are the kernel messages from a clean boot whilst connected to a wall charger.

First up are the messages that were generated between me exporting the previous messages on the wall charger and plugging it into my PC:
Code:
[  297.031280] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0x50/80; link 1
[  297.031311] rx51_set_charger (connected = 0)
[  297.031341] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 0)
[  297.031646] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[  297.031677] regulator_disable: not in use by this consumer
[  297.031768] rx51_set_wallcharger (connected = 0)
[  299.502502] twl4030_usb twl4030_usb: HW_CONDITIONS 0xd0/208; link 2
[  299.502532] rx51_set_charger (connected = 1)
[  299.502532] rx51_update_charger_mode (mode = 1)
[  299.502563] rx51 - schedule delayed work in 2 seconds - rx51_detect_wallcharger
[  301.499511] rx51_detect_wallcharger (the_musb = cf0a80f0)
[  301.499542] musb_charger_detect (enabled = 1)
[  301.515289] rx51_set_wallcharger (connected = 0)
...and here are the preceeding ones from as soon as I could get H-E-N going (whilst on the wall charger).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
thanks, but what we need is log from *desktop* powered by linux (for example, from live CD/DVD), as soon as you connect N900 to it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
As requested, had to finish up things before I could reboot. I connected the phone and selected PC suite mode. I then fired up Mad Developer and toggled between windows and Unix networking. Unix networking gives the unable to enumerate message, the the new low speed device messages came from the Windows networking option.

Code:
Feb  4 21:27:31 (none) user.err kernel: hub 1-5:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
Feb  4 21:28:35 (none) user.err kernel: hub 1-5:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
Feb  4 21:29:22 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-5.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 15
Feb  4 21:29:22 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:22 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:22 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-5.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
Feb  4 21:29:22 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-5.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 17
Feb  4 21:29:23 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device not accepting address 17, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:23 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-5.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 18
Feb  4 21:29:23 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device not accepting address 18, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:23 (none) user.err kernel: hub 1-5:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
Feb  4 21:29:44 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-5.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 19
Feb  4 21:29:44 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:45 (none) user.err kernel: usb 1-5.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Feb  4 21:29:45 (none) user.err kernel: hub 1-5:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
I think I'll have to grab some stripboard and a USB socket and make some proper test pads as that really looks like the data lines aren't working... The downside to shoving a multimeter probe into a USB male connector is that whilst you can test each pin you'll always be in contact with the outer ground...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:

Tags
usb port