Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not sure how many of you use Boxee or XBMC.

In short: Boxee allows you to watch TV shows and movies (and much more) on your Mac/Windows/Linux/iOS device.

They just released Boxee Media Manager which is a streaming server-esque thing. You install it on your machine, chose the folder with your videos, and after that you can accces those videos from the Boxee application from any computer that is on your network and has Boxee installed.

I own an iPad 2, and I pretty much use Boxee on it to watch movies before I go to sleep instead of sitting in a chair to my PC. Scrubbing has no problems, there is no lag, quality is the same as the one that your file has, etc.

I was wondering if someone could port the Boxee Media Manager to the N900.

Some of us may have a tablet with low storage space (like me, 16 gb), and the N900 offers you 32GB itself, plus SD card support.

I would love to store my movies on the N900 and use Boxee on all my devices to watch the movies.

Could someone port it, or do they need the source code?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
There is some DLNA/UPNP media servers already ported to N900 that can do same job. BMM source code is not released and there is no linux version from the vendor.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I love BOXEE! Maybe there is a boxy remote for N900

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Tata, Hungary
On the other hand there is XBMC ported to N900.
http://www.cybercomchannel.com/using-xbmc-meego-12

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
hmm, I wouldn't mind trying an alternative to Boxee, the thing is that for me personally, I think I can use only boxee on the iPad.

I can't jailbreak it, therefor I can't install some alternative for Boxee.

@lidow: do you know a DLNA/UPNP server that works on the N900 and has a iOS client?

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Marcel.Beleu View Post
hmm, I wouldn't mind trying an alternative to Boxee, the thing is that for me personally, I think I can use only boxee on the iPad.

I can't jailbreak it, therefor I can't install some alternative for Boxee.

@lidow: do you know a DLNA/UPNP server that works on the N900 and has a iOS client?
DLNA and UPnP were established for this very reason(compatibility). If you got a UPnP or DLNA server running any client programme that knows these stacks could use it(mind you, not WMP) even your telly...

I have some success with rygel and fuppes.

Although both of them are little geeky to use.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Tata, Hungary
Sorry for my previous post, i didn't really get what you wanted, OP. Anyway, Boxee can handle samba shares right? (At least XBMC can, and as far as i know Boxee is based on that)

If it can, you can try to install tinysmb and tinysmbgui from extras-devel (so, be careful there). I have to admit i never tested this, but this is what i would try in your shoes.

-sc

Originally Posted by esthreel View Post
I love BOXEE! Maybe there is a boxy remote for N900

not direct remote, but you can setup a boxee remote in the machine using web server.

and from n900, you can surf the ip address and control your boxee.

not pretty but works :-).

Link: http://code.google.com/p/boxee-web-remote/

I use bluemaemo. Works very well.
Although I do not find it very convenient to use so complicated device as N900/N810 for remote control on daily basis.
So I'm considering buying this: