Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've had my N900 for a bit over a week. Bless my father, he got it as a gift for me as he know I like gadgets and it was my birthday. I can't blame him. We had talked about phones a few weeks earlier and I had mentioned the N900 as one that looked pretty interesting but a device I had not looked closer at.

So I've been exploring the content in the various repositories.
Installed and tried out applications
Read and other places about features, future, etc.

In the end, I can't help but to feel that the N900 and maemo are dinosaurs in many (but not all) areas compared to the iphone.

On my iPhone I download torrents at the command-line level (./gettorrent, etc) , switch between applications using Kilkari or whatever the app is called, I play games like Dungeon Hunter, Alive4Ever, Civilization, etc with graphics and gameplay that the N900 is a million light years behind.

I access the terminal on my iPhone and browse using a file manager.

I connect to my work mail exchange flawlessly and the phone is significantly better than the N900.

I tether it to my laptop and connect the laptop to the internet using it.
I can even set up a MiFi using it.

I also like music and there is an area where the iPhone once again wins.

Seriously the 90% of the things I do off my laptop are vastly superior on the iPhone.

The N900 is nice in that it gives more access to the OS and that the apps are free.
But, most apps looks like something developed 5 years ago and they seem to always be buggy.

I'm not a developer who needs full OS access on my phone and I doubt most people really do.
It's cool to be able to say that you got it...but if you need it to do your stuff then the GUI is seriously flawed.

The N900 is going up on eBay. Proceeds will go to my upcoming skiing trip (blessed by my dad).
It's a shitty device but in really good condition so if you want to make me an offer, and save me from selling it on ebay, send me a direct message. Offers made in this thread will not be considered.

If you're in the Chicago area you can do a local pick-up.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
And yet... and yet... many others offer a more positive assessment... and not all are developers.

Amazingly enough, feelings for devices are (brace yourself) subjective, and anything but universal.

But I sure get a kick out of the religious views on either side of this one...

ktb ......
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Your dad is too good to be true.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
hope this guy bought a flame suit too lol but seriously guy got a right to like or dislike the phone which is cool but the iphone is so watered down and held back its not even funny I dont know how many iphone users i converted over to different devices by showing them how to really get more use out of there phones. Iphone just isn't for me at the end of the day cause I could careless about 1,000,000 fart apps/useless apps they always showing ads for since wehn only running one app at a time was cool??? You teach babys and kids to do one thing at a time for the grown up we multi task and not downing you or your post you entitled to use whatever phone works best for you

The N900 is still a baby don't forget compared to the Iphone. I'm sure it will do loads more once developers have had some time with it. It probably won't go mental-mainstream, so won't have thousands of pointless applications made to cash-in on simpletons. But thats another reason why I like it. Its a serious device for no nonsense use. That means quake 3 port for example, not dozens of silly things such as tipping pints of beer.

If it can't do things that you want, you kinda should blame its infancy at this stage I think. Iphone didn't even have 3g or cut and paste when it first came out, I mean seriously.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Yeah I even shave my beard with my iPod

no wait

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
thanks for taking the time to register and post this.

It seems you are not in the target market group for the N900 and that I guess you are using a jailbroken iPhone.
Hopefully you will be able to make some money and enjoy your ski trip.

I agree that many of the apps still need a lot of UI love, but as the history of Maemo is in Linux, that was to be expected I believe as the people who like/want "pretty and shiney" apps have congregated around Apple.
However, I think, we are still in the inital "gold-rush" days, and over time more mature apps with slicker UI experiences will appear.

Haha this is so true. The N900 feels dated as hell when compared to the iPhone. I also laugh at the "1000000 ifart apps" comments. I play games on the iPhone that the N900 will never see. Hey we got supermario though right and other stuff made in 1994...and terminal access!!!! Completely useful

Another iphone fanboy feels the need to start another completely pointless

"The iPhone is better"

Thread and another kitten dies. We need a new forum section

N900 - whiners,iphone fanboys and new threads based on topics already covered dozens of times.

Sigh

Mega - WTF are you even still doing here? Are you hoping the N900 will suddenly turn into an iPhone? You have literally done NOTHING but bag on and whine about the device since you got it. Sell the mfing thing already and go annoy some other forums.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Closed Thread