Active Topics

Funny, I was just about to write in regarding my terrific customer service from Nokia USA. I got a bad power adapter and they answered the phone on like the third ring, understood me and were understandable, and sent me a new power adapter in less than a week (must have sent it the instant they got the one I sent in).

My experience with customer service is that it goes catastrophically wrong when you hit them with a problem they haven't seen much. Ripping out part of your email address probably didn't fit into any predefined category. My bad power adapter probably set in motion one of their most frequent response mechanisms.

I just emailed in my complaint and the info on the major security flaws about the order # being all you need to get a customer's email and got a template email response saying "we really care about our customers" blah blah and gave me a link to report problems with the website.

The link was broken.

Come on!

To top it off, my response which criticized their support for responding to a complaint about bad code and bad security with even WORSE code and WORSE security was responded to with "we're sorry there was a problem with your email, please resubmit your claim on the web form"

I find this all hilarious, but at what point do I just give up and let them dig their own grave?

Last edited by framerate; 2007-05-17 at 21:05.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by framerate View Post
...Advice? Avoid NokiaUSA.com like the plague. Does anyone know if this item can be purchased elsewhere? Somewhere who wants my money and cares about me as a customer?
I love seeing these blanket statements based on 1 experience. It makes the forum so much more exciting.

Actually the kit is handled by a company called "LetsTalk". In fact it tells you during the ordering process that you are being redirected to LetsTalk servers. It was pretty clear to me when I ordered...

This order is subject to the LetsTalk.com Terms and Conditions which you accepted at the time of order placement. To view the details of those Terms and Conditions, go to: http://www.nokia.letstalk.com/receip...?ordId=6622760
I also see it is now cheaper on LetsTalk's site $199 >> http://www.letstalk.com/product/prod...htm?prId=32775

I wonder if they ship to Canada!

Also: I'm sorry to here about the Vermont experience jdr93. It sounds like a map problem for your area and I hope Navicore updates it soon. I live 52 miles west of Philadelphia and travel to various locations during the day including the city as well as the surrounding Pennsylvania Dutch country side.
Lacking water features on your maps baffles me. I was about to report that my maps not only show rivers, creeks and lakes, but also the small retaining ponds found on the farms I pass.
Naming street names does not bother me so much because it shows on the bottom blue bar the street I'm on and the top green bar, the street I'm to turn on or exit to take.

(Schuylkill river along the right I76w is the road.)

(Between the Schuylkill and Delaware rivers. Even shows the piers and inlets.)

(Upcoming Exit and street name on top green bar)

...I don't think I would want Sarah or Todd waisting my attention while they try to pronounce "Schuylkill Expressway" or "Nesquehoning Street". I would rather glance up or down and match the spelling to the street sign I'm looking for.

But I'm easy like that. I'm just glad the thing does something this well with out a net connection. It also gives me an answer for the people who ask "What the heck is that thing you're caring with you?" rather than having to explain a concept that may be beyond their imagination.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-05-17 at 21:57.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by framerate View Post

- Bad customer service (I wouldn't say overly bad, but they sure as hell didn't care whether or not I was happy and/or kept my order)

- Can't ship products successfully due to their own verification techniques? I'm sure theres more going on here but please! I ordered 24+ hours ago and you just now verify my order over the phone which caused me not to get it? What if I wasn't by the phone?

Advice? Avoid NokiaUSA.com like the plague. Does anyone know if this item can be purchased elsewhere? Somewhere who wants my money and cares about me as a customer?
I agree the phone verification is annoying and they don't care that it is. They do it even when the billing address and shipping address are the same. And they ask for information beyond that needed to order the product.

Alternative: letstalk.com - carries almost all Nokia products officially released in the US.

They called me on my cell phone (that's what I put on the order) and asked me to call the 800 number on my home line to verify! What if I didn't have a land line?? I ordered mine with overnight shipping (any other shipping to AK could take a while) and it still took two days because of this. Didn't really bother me too much though, I'm used to getting screwed when it comes to shipping.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I tried ordering the Navicore product from the Nokia site, waited 2 days - the order still showed as in progress. I realized from the email confirmation that the product was actually coming from letstalk.com. On that site, the product was only $199 with free 2 day shipping. I called and was told it was awaiting phone verification, so I cancelled the order and ordered online with letstalk.com. The order confirmation says it will be here Tuesday - We'll see...

Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
.. though it had basically found the shortest route it did try to lead me up a dead end street in the city. during the trip it displayed a road that was not there, then a mile later did not show a road that was there.
This is a common problem for all navigation systems, and not much the manufacturer can do about it. It's not easy for TeleAtlas (the map provider) to do much about it either, because they buy either directly from your local authorities (which usually are responsible for maps in your town), or through an intermediary.

The problem is when the source of the maps don't bother with (for them) unimportant things like marking up the maps with one-way, non-motorized, private, or road changes. We can yell at TeleAtlas but often it's not in their powers to do much. Where I live it's like that, so for me the most important feature for any car nav system is fast, automatic recalculation when I don't follow the planned route..

one more thing. oddly, the ad on the nokia site says the car charger can power both the gps receiver and the n800, it can actually only charge one or the other.
Now that is odd to the extreme. That'll be trouble unless the GPS lasts very very long on one charge..

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I love seeing these blanket statements based on 1 experience. It makes the forum so much more exciting.
I understand what you're saying, but if you read my 2 posts you'll see it's not based on solely one "experience". If I recall correctly, it was 2 trips through their online ordering form, 3 phone calls to fix previous order, 2 phone calls to support to try and report the bug and the security flaws, then 2 phone calls to the distribution center (one telling it would *definitely* ship out today, the 2nd 10 minutes later telling me it was backordered).

This all began with me wanting to report the bug in their site incorrectly stripping words out of my email to prevent future problems for other customers. But then it led to me discovering the security flaw in their website (fake email + valid order number = hello private customer data!).

I understand what you're saying, but I think I'm entitled to make blanket statements, as it's my opinion based on my experience, and that experience has been very bad.

To end, I'm still trying to report the security flaw to their support and I received an email saying their email system was also broken. I finally got one to go through and was told someone would contact me directly. We'll see if that happens.

Also - to the guy who said Letstalk.com carries them, I'm pretty sure they're the one in the distribution center doing the verifications. So if they're the ones who told me it would *definitely* ship that day, I don't know if I trust them anymore...

i noticed today the bluetooth connection between the n800 and the ld-3w was working but the navicore software wasn't able to access the data passing to the n800. turning off the gps and the n800 and re-establishing the bluetooth connection didn't help. nor did 'reseting' the gps by holding its power switch in. taking the battery out of the n800 didn't help. finally i removed the battery from the gps module (what a hassle it is to get the lid off), counted to ten, and put the unit back together. seems to be working just fine now. any ideas what might be going on? the navicore program kept saying there was no bluetooth device available.

john

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
i noticed today the bluetooth connection between the n800 and the ld-3w was working but the navicore software wasn't able to access the data passing to the n800. turning off the gps and the n800 and re-establishing the bluetooth connection didn't help. nor did 'reseting' the gps by holding its power switch in. taking the battery out of the n800 didn't help. finally i removed the battery from the gps module (what a hassle it is to get the lid off), counted to ten, and put the unit back together. seems to be working just fine now. any ideas what might be going on? the navicore program kept saying there was no bluetooth device available.

john

You got me...

The next time it reports no BT device; you should pro'ly check BT connections first and see if it is still listed.

If it is and you have Maemo Mapper installed, shut down Navicore and see if MM finds it. That would narrow it down somewhat.

If it isn't listed anymore then I would think it's a hardware issue.