Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Or, just don't save the settings when you first connect to the network?
Agreed. I fell victim to this one too, but it's a simple case of reading the dialog before pressing Ok! I hit cancel whenever I'm away from home, now...

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Enabling "Soft Power Off" (via the systemui.xml file) and giving it "top priority" (so that it appears at the top of the power-button popup list) was exactly what I needed. It doesn't disable the WiFi, which is fine for me since I kinda like the "Always On" philosophy (as long as it doesn't affect battery life too much, and I don't think it has, in my case), but it turns off the screen and locks the keys immediately. It's not as convenient as the 770 cover, but power-button-enter-button is pretty quick to turn it off, and holding down the power button to turn it back on isn't too horrible.

If you edit /etc/mce/mce.ini you can make the power button do soft power off.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbm For This Useful Post:
How do you do that?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Saccente View Post
How do you do that?
OK, before we go into that, a few questions:

- Do you have any user experience with Linux? Or at least know how Linux file systems are organized?
- Do you have Xterm and a means to become root installed?
- Do you know what Midnight Commander is? Or do you know how to work with vim, Joe or Nano?

(I'm not trying to be pedantic, but certain procedures are definitely hacky in nature and those who say "Duh?" at the previous questions, are best to leave them alone)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
BTW, I'm seriously considering to set the longkeypress of the power key to softpoweroff (seeing as I hardly ever shutdown NaB00 and the power off option is in the menu anyway).

Does anyone know a good reason (as in: "No, you fool!! that'll wreck your device!!") for not doing this?

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
I've done this and there does not seem to be any adverse effects. I have switched off and on a couple of times and also longpressed the power button a couple of times all seems to be as it should.

Rick

Well, I just did it: changed the longpress of the power key to softpoweroff. Everything works as it should, although a reboot appears to be necessary (at least, the first time I tried the new longpress, NaB00 shut down).

Interestingly enough, the new longpress behaviour extends to power on as well: all I now have to do to put NaB00 to sleep or wake him up again, is press the power key for a second (the default length of 1,000 milliseconds for longpress can be changed as well, but 1 second if fine by me; that's about as long as it took to slide the cover over poor old NokiLLO).

Yay Nokia! (but you're still not off the hook for the video botchup)

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
OK, before we go into that, a few questions:

- Do you have any user experience with Linux? Or at least know how Linux file systems are organized?
- Do you have Xterm and a means to become root installed?
- Do you know what Midnight Commander is? Or do you know how to work with vim, Joe or Nano?

(I'm not trying to be pedantic, but certain procedures are definitely hacky in nature and those who say "Duh?" at the previous questions, are best to leave them alone)
one of the reasons I got a 770 was to get into linux a little. I'm now into my second month of 800 and still haven't. Things like this little hack make me realise I have to now..... other things I've been party to as online communities for various audio recording things have always at some point had a site that gave a real "start from scratch" tutorial for newbies - is there any such thing around that anyone could point me to (and the many new users of this forum that have obviously just come into contact with the devices)? I don't want a full-on university course, just somewhere that with a little input will allow me to answer "yes" to Karel's questions.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Well, I just did it: changed the longpress of the power key to softpoweroff. Everything works as it should, although a reboot appears to be necessary (at least, the first time I tried the new longpress, NaB00 shut down).
Karel, any chance you could post the modified section of file?

Originally Posted by flareup View Post
one of the reasons I got a 770 was to get into linux a little. I'm now into my second month of 800 and still haven't. Things like this little hack make me realise I have to now..... other things I've been party to as online communities for various audio recording things have always at some point had a site that gave a real "start from scratch" tutorial for newbies - is there any such thing around that anyone could point me to (and the many new users of this forum that have obviously just come into contact with the devices)? I don't want a full-on university course, just somewhere that with a little input will allow me to answer "yes" to Karel's questions.
The 770's and N800's underbellies are a pretty much standard Linux installation, with a few adaptations towards a portable device (power management and user management). This means that any "Linux for Beginners" book is a good place to start.

My starting point, many years ago, was "Linux in a Nutshell" from O'Reilly. I don't even know if this book is still in print, but I found it amazingly helpful. It doesn't try to be a "for dummies" book, but still manages to explain everything to the not-particularly-genius (a subspecies I am proud to be a member of).

my best advice would be to install Linux on a desktop somewhere, get that, or another, book and play a bit.

In the mean time, for this particular problem:

1. Install Xterm from repository
2. Install becomeroot (read the instructions on the homepage!) from repository
3. Install Midnight Commander from repository

Concise information about Midnight Commander: It is a text-based (meaning that it runs from an Xterm, by typing "mc" at the command prompt) file management tool, in the style of Norton Commander for the old DOS-pc. With Midnight Commander you can access the complete filesystem of the N800, far more than what the built in nanny-file manager will let you see.

Warning! Linux file systems are substantially different from what you get on a pc, something I am not even going to try to explain in this message.

More warning! The following steps involve messing around in your system as "root", which is the equivalent of "God" in a Linux filesystem. If anything goes wrong, don't blame me; I don't exist.

If you have those three applications, I would advize you to play around with Midnight Commander a while, without becoming root. It will be very hard to mess things up irrevocably as a user and if you get completely stuck (which will happen!), you can always hit the big X of the Xterm and chicken out.

So, assuming you've been around the virtual block a few times, do this:

1. Start Xterm (make sure the input method is the keyboard, Xterm doesn't play well with the HWR)
2. Type "sudo gainroot" (without the brackets; I'm assuming from now on you'll leave them out). You'll get some messages and the prompt changes from "/ $" to "/ #", indicating that you are now root and evil things may happen.
3. Type "mc". If you've played with mc before, you'll notice it has now a different colour scheme. Again, this is to tell you you are now root. From these warnings it must now have become clear that root is not to be taken lightly. I kid you not.
4. In mc, scroll down in the left pane to the "/etc" directory and hit enter on the virtual keyboard (as you know from your experiments, the enter key on the D-pad doesn't work).
5. In the "/etc" directory, scroll down to the "/mce" directory (it's really the "/etc/mce" directory, but we'll go on what the mc window shows you)
6. In the "/mce" directory, scroll to the file "mce.ini" (you know it's a file, because there's no "/" in front of it).
7. Don't hit enter. Funny things happen if you hit enter on a file. At the bottom of the mc window, you'll see a row of numbers, followed by commands; this is mc's main menu. Tapping "4 Edit" will start the file editor.
8. Look around in the file; it is a rather typical example of a Linux configuration file: All in plain text and with lots of explanations. To change the behaviour of the long powerkeypress, first find the section that begins with "[PowerKey]" (you can use the search function in the editor, but the file is not that long, so scrolling until you see it is doable). In that section look for a line that reads: "PowerKeyLongAction=poweroff". Change "poweroff" to "softpoweroff". DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE.
9. Tap "2 Save"; confirm save file.
10 Exit mc by tapping "10 Quit" (this option is normally not visible; you have to zoom out with the top keys until you see it)
10. Type "exit" at the Xterm command prompt. This will end root mode (see how the trusted "/ $" prompt is back to tell you all is well?)
11. Type "exit" again to end your Xterm session.

(if all the exiting doesn't work out well, hitting the "X" of the Xterm window will shut everything down. It is frowned upon, but I don't think it'll cause any harm, as long as you get out of the editor cleanly first)

It is possible that the new behaviour of the powerkey doesn't start until you reboot, so make sure you have nothing important running when you try it for the first time.

12. Ask someone else where to find the "systemui.xml" file and how to modify it, if you want to change the power menu.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post: