Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Looks good. Have you tried stracing it or running it overnight on batteries to see what it does to your battery life?
Hopefully, looking at the screenshot it's sleeping for a minute before updating the display...
Edit: duh, it's got a seconds display, so it won't be sleeping long at all. You probably want to remove that, or at least make it not update the display, and sleep for much longer periods when the screen is blanked or the application isn't in the foreground. There are DBUS events for both of these.
Thanks for the feedback. I do indeed plan to remove the seconds display (only makes one nervous :-) I'll try to use whatever is available in the D-Bus stuff for Python - however, I'm still an absolute beginner with the maemo and linux plattform.
BTW: Got the osso.Context running - this stuff needs an initialized main loop first, otherwise it will fail... however, now I'm stuck with a not-yet working repeating call to device.display_blanking_pause(). Step by step...

Sweet, finally someone making some ground on this!

I do like the earth view, but it would also be nice to enable a full-screen clock, i.e an alarm clock. I envision plugging in my n800 at night to use as my alarm clock so I suppose battery life isn't much of an issue.

If you'd like more feature suggestions, I'd be glad to add some more.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
[QUOTE=twaelti;70731]maemoClock: My first application for the N800, my first application in Python

A clock for the N800, including a day/night world map.

Twaelti, COOL! I don't really need a clock, but I want that just because it looks great!

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Any more progress on this, twaelti? I've been following this thread with great interest as I would absolutely love to have a full screen clock with large letters to consult in the middle of the night as I am blind as a bat without my glasses and can't read the default applet without fumbling for my specs.

Thanks for taking this on!

Originally Posted by HeebieJeebie View Post
Any more progress on this, twaelti? I've been following this thread with great interest as I would absolutely love to have a full screen clock with large letters to consult in the middle of the night as I am blind as a bat without my glasses and can't read the default applet without fumbling for my specs.
I've now added a full screen clock for the blind bats
You will be able to switch between the two settings with a touch of the screen (and I experimented with gconf to store/reload this setting between sessions)
Once I get around to build an installer package (a LONG way to go), I will make a beta available.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Instead of store this in gconf, i think it ll be better to store in it in the user home, like many applications. Ex : '/home/user/.maemoclock/conf.conf'
So no dependancy from gconf.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Instead of store this in gconf, i think it ll be better to store in it in the user home, like many applications. Ex : '/home/user/.maemoclock/conf.conf'
So no dependancy from gconf.
I'm not sure about this, as I have virtually no knowledge about Linux/Gnome. However, from reading stuff like The Case for Gconf or Introduction to the GConf library, I thought that using gconf is "the future"
(Besides, it was very easy to implement, only took a few minutes....grin)

Alpha preview of mClock now available, see post in the "Packaging" thread.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Ohboyohboyohboy! On my way to check it out now.....