Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Think that you want this link to make it easier:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...#post-15287906
Thanks. The link you gave was the link I intended to post. Don't know how I copy pasted the post author's bio instead of the post...

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Already sorry for my stupid and/or offtopic question, but isn't it so that there is no Android support in any community port?

My J1 is showing some marks of getting old and I'm getting a bit worried about the future of my mobile devices. Wouldn't like to get a J1 anymore for two reasons; the build quality is too bad, so it should be brand new, or it might not stay in one piece any longer than my current J1. Also the internals are getting a bit old, and I'm looking for a bit more long-term option.

Also tried JC, but it was far too bulky and ugly, and maybe too big also. Anyway I'd like to stay with Sailfish, so I'm looking for a community port. According to this site Fairphone and Oneplus X should be most functional ports. Fairphone is too big, but Oneplus X in on the edge. Definitely too slippery, but perhaps some rubber case could help with that Perhaps Moto G could also be an option, but since it's already older, I predict it getting old faster than Oneplus X.

The only Android app I'm feeling like I need to have, is Whatsapp. And no, I'm not going to demand my friends to switch Telegram or whatever. So since there is no native WA available anymore, I feel like I have to stay with Android support. I want to highlight that I'm in need of a phone for long-term, daily use and not a toy to play with (although playing with the daily phone is nice).

Again, sorry for offtopic and thanks for help.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Already sorry for my stupid and/or offtopic question, but isn't it so that there is no Android support in any community port?
Licensing, Alien-Dalvik is proprietary and not available for individual licence.

The closest thing we have for the ports is SFDroid, which only works on a few select devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I still might try to find a cheap Oneplus X for trying SFOS on it. And also trying to ignore my need of Whatsapp. Or, then continue with my J1 as long as it works, and then switching to 1+X with Android until there is better options available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I still might try to find a cheap Oneplus X for trying SFOS on it. And also trying to ignore my need of Whatsapp. Or, then continue with my J1 as long as it works, and then switching to 1+X with Android until there is better options available.
sailfish is nice on thr onepljs x. well, spelling doesn't work yet for me as you see I think it's a missing library that I can't find to install.

for slipperiness -- it's glass front and back if you get the black one -- I use a poetic case which is clear plastic with rubberized bumper strips that help with grip. also availible is a white version which I believe is ceramic on the back and less slippery and like 30g heavier.

i've made no attempt to use sfdroid and android apps. (I've read about people using whatsap online but I've never figured what I'd do with it.)

depending on what os the x ships with, installing sfos can be a tedious process. Check the oneplus forums about this if you haven't already.

the size is about as big as I can use. it fits in pants pockets, unlike the oneplys one which i tried first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Oneplus One port has jumbed forward quite a bit!

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...#post-15605501
https://github.com/wdehoog/sailfish-...tag/2.0.5.6-b4

Sailfish 2.0.5.6
Sensons work
Camera + video recording work
and much more thanks to wdehoog!

Sfdroid (I have not tried it):
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...us-one.474965/

Also Jolla Store is open!

I think there is currently only one limiting issue:
Video playback

Some earlier analysis about video playback:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...#post-14513598
"gstreamer1.0-droid may become relevant again for hardware accelerated playback but this requires more work on the hardware adaptation side.
My understanding is that until the required parts become available in the hardware adaptation, gstreamer1.0-droid will not be provided."

Any ideas how to solve video playback issue?

Currently Oneplus One port is really great and with video playback solved it would be almost perfect!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
depending on what os the x ships with, installing sfos can be a tedious process. Check the oneplus forums about this if you haven't already.
Weee, I still decided to get an OPX and flash Sailfish on it. Haven't done any flashing business since... well I had an Android phone (HTC Desire Z) before I got my first J1 from preorder. So I needed to learn pretty much everything about rooting, recoveries, flashing and so on. My OPX came with Android 6.0 so downgrade was needed in order to get CM12.1 flashed.

Anyway, just installing Patchmanager and at least looking great!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
I think there is currently only one limiting issue:
Video playback

Some earlier analysis about video playback:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...#post-14513598
"gstreamer1.0-droid may become relevant again for hardware accelerated playback but this requires more work on the hardware adaptation side.
My understanding is that until the required parts become available in the hardware adaptation, gstreamer1.0-droid will not be provided."

Any ideas how to solve video playback issue?

Currently Oneplus One port is really great and with video playback solved it would be almost perfect!
For me, an acceptable workaround is that Kodi Media Center (apparently) uses software video decoding, and seems to play most videos ok on the OPO.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Today I put the SIM card first time to Oneplus X (I had to cut it to nano size as I took it from J1). It does work, calling and answering calls work. Also receiving SMS works. But I cannot send SMS. I tried rebooting, switching mobile network on/off and switching to 2G/3G/4G (which also works as intended) but couldn't send any SMS. Anyone else experiencing this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
if you can receive sms but sending is not working, than is you sms central number wrong. Check this in "Settings => Apps => Message => and than the first place"

i use opx and sms sending is working.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post: