Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
If it's coming from Nokia I wouldn't bother. They're like Samsung (although rumor is Samsung might be changing their behavior) when it comes to support of their hardware.
They really screwed over customers on the Samsung Behold. I think it finally got updated to 1.6, and there's an unofficial ROM for 2.0 (I've seen mention of it, but never actually seen it).

I was faced with the exact same dilemma.....

Couldnt decide so now I have both.

After using both I reliased that each has its own plus and minus.

Nothing beats the N900 on net speed whether its Wifi or 3G.
And the power of having a linux box in your pocket is really something else.

Whereas on the Galaxy the screen is a dreamer...scratch proof - I must add...My N900 already has scratches

And the App market even though not as technical as the N900 is still very exhaustive, I was able to find almost all N900 apps which I use (equivalent features / not same) on the Android Market.

Last edited by nitro99; 2010-08-03 at 06:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to nitro99 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nitro99 View Post

Whereas on the Galaxy the screen is a dreamer...scratch proof - I must add...My N900 already has scratches

And the App market even though not as technical as the N900 is still very exhaustive, I was able to find almost all N900 apps which I use (equivalent features / not same) on the Android Market.

In that case Id wait for the Galaxy S Pro.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Now even I'm intrigued by this Galaxy S Pro ... O.o Must check it out when it arrives.

However, I think Nokia has a better trackrecord in supporting their devices than Samsung. Maemo and Nokia N900 shouldn't be taken into account so much, because up until now (or the next tablet) it's really been a side project.

Originally Posted by nitro99 View Post

Scratch proof ...as far as I know nothings scratch proof....

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Scratch proof ...as far as I know nothings scratch proof....
If a surface or substance is sharper than something else it will scratch it. When they try to scratch these screens with keys say and moderate pressure it tends to remain unscratched which is pretty impressive. Of course it can be scratched.

n900 has an awful scratch resistance.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
From all the phones to choose from, if i had to pick another phone the samsung galaxy s seems to be a really great alternative. humming bird processor yumm

I'm still going to hold out another year to buy a phone though, n900's still great + I'm not rich enough to throw 500 each year. But thats cool, 1 year will be perfect time to look out for dual core mobile processors, see how nokia handles meego development, etc

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post

Or install Nitdroid on the n900.

Thaat's what I'm thinking of doing once someone gets the phone working

Nate.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
If a surface or substance is sharper than something else it will scratch it. When they try to scratch these screens with keys say and moderate pressure it tends to remain unscratched which is pretty impressive. Of course it can be scratched.

n900 has an awful scratch resistance.
I think a resisitive touchscreen needs to be sensitive to pressure thus it can't be to scratch resistent.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
I'm the owner of both a captivate and n900 and I can say that having both is definitely doable. I basically use the n900 as a dedicated internet tablet, with ssh and vlc to my media center, mypaint, flash websites and the random video file that refuse to play on the galaxy. Fcamera is also a pretty darn nice tool to have. My main problem with the galaxy is that thanks to the carrier branding the phone just gets ridiculously laggy and unresponsive despite the 600 mhz advantage....

Tags
n900-fail-wail