Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
If i'm using 3g/hsdpa on all the time + some apps at background using internet like whatsapp (freakin amazing app) and ftp server, i get around 22 hours of moderate use.
If i'm only on wifi + 3g for voice calls about 2 days.
If i limit it to 2g + wifi, it's almost 4 days.

Webcam apps :
droidcam ; ip webcam

I'm running android 2.2.1 JPU firmware + voodoo lagfix 5.0.2,
So there is NO lag that the galaxy s is notorious for.
Forgive my questions, I'm curious!

The battery life sounds AMAZING. Supposedly Gingerbread has even more battery life enhancements as well as speed enhancements, so that will be something to look forward to!

Is the JPU firmware official or is it a community project?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Forgive my questions, I'm curious!

The battery life sounds AMAZING. Supposedly Gingerbread has even more battery life enhancements as well as speed enhancements, so that will be something to look forward to!

Is the JPU firmware official or is it a community project?
JPU is a "Leaked" version that can be found on samfirmware.webs.com among all other versions.

It's a Samsung firmware that was not yet released via Samsung Kies which is the official (crappy) software like PC Suite.

You can find Custom community Roms based on JPU, and you can just use the stock one, which is pretty amazing even as stock.

So far samsung has not released the source code for JPU kernel, but it's pretty new, they usually release it after a couple of weeks.

As opposed to Nokia, Samsung releases it's source code.

I don't believe gingerbread will reach galaxy s officially.
Obviously nexus s will make it possible to run stock android 2.3 on galaxy s and people will hack in samsung crap, cause some of that crap is quite good. (Phone app, messaging app, music player, all nice.)
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Ah, thanks for the update!

Actually, I read that Samsung recently announced (in a tweet, or something) that Gingerbread would be coming to the Galaxy S line. However, the community should provide enough support for future versions of the OS.

Well, as I understand it Nokia releases source as well, though the drivers and closed apps are not released; but correct me if I'm wrong. This is the same with Android.

I would like to see a similar situation as on PCs where hardware drivers are modularized in the stock OS rather than the OS and drivers being shipped as one lump of software tied to a specific device. This would likely make updating and distribution much easier, and if pulled off elegantly, could be a very painless experience. Plus upgrading the OS could be placed directly into the user's hands, or made much easier for carriers.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Ah, thanks for the update!

Actually, I read that Samsung recently announced (in a tweet, or something) that Gingerbread would be coming to the Galaxy S line. However, the community should provide enough support for future versions of the OS.

Well, as I understand it Nokia releases source as well, though the drivers and closed apps are not released; but correct me if I'm wrong. This is the same with Android.

I would like to see a similar situation as on PCs where hardware drivers are modularized in the stock OS rather than the OS and drivers being shipped as one lump of software tied to a specific device. This would likely make updating and distribution much easier, and if pulled off elegantly, could be a very painless experience. Plus upgrading the OS could be placed directly into the user's hands, or made much easier for carriers.
Do you have the source code for the N900 camera app?
Can you add buttons to it?

What about the source code for the phone app?
Can you add buttons to that?

You can for the galaxy S, for example, Power button was hacked to be used as camera Shutter button.

About drivers I don't know.
About Nexus S, there were reports to both ends, some saying they don't know yet, some saying yes.
Personally I think it won't, cause that will make the Galaxy S last longer, preventing users from buying new phones.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Do you have the source code for the N900 camera app?
Can you add buttons to it?

What about the source code for the phone app?
Can you add buttons to that?

You can for the galaxy S, for example, Power button was hacked to be used as camera Shutter button.

About drivers I don't know.
About Nexus S, there were reports to both ends, some saying they don't know yet, some saying yes.
Personally I think it won't, cause that will make the Galaxy S last longer, preventing users from buying new phones.
That may a function of the way that APKs are stored, and the xml files that store the UI layout. In other words, it may be possible to 'add' functionality to a bit of closed software. It would be necessary to replace the manifest and augment the application with .dex classes and resources. Signing the app is another story!

Here's an hour long video on the Android APK:
http://sites.google.com/site/io/insi...tion-framework

Of course, the camera app may just be OSS

The drivers are most certainly closed for the Galaxy line, but this is hardly unique to Samsung. However, I believe certain Android licenses require that the source be made public.

hey friends take a look.......
first open this;
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/23538/...-galaxy-s.html
and then;
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/24094/...okia-n900.html

n900 is unbeatable untill the n9 launches..
don't worry at all...........

The Following User Says Thank You to starpalace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Returned my Galaxy S 4G ... not a replacement for the N900. Yes it did have some things the N900 did not but the lack of a keyboard really started to get too me, internal storage space was another ever present annoying factor. Why have only 128 megs of internal user storage on a modern device? Not all apps install to the SD ... in fact most of the major ones don't. Super Amoled screen ... meh ... wasn't that cool and the flimsy construction of the device kept bothering me. Oh and on the bothering side, no camera button at all, I did not realize how annoying it would be to constantly have to find the camera app to take pictures. Seriously, I got the no flash thing but no hard button for the camera is basically saying we forgot it had a camera.

I got a HTC G2 instead, much better design and solid hardware. The N900 is my on the go Linux terminal now.

Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
Returned my Galaxy S 4G ... not a replacement for the N900. Yes it did have some things the N900 did not but the lack of a keyboard really started to get too me, internal storage space was another ever present annoying factor. Why have only 128 megs of internal user storage on a modern device? Not all apps install to the SD ... in fact most of the major ones don't. Super Amoled screen ... meh ... wasn't that cool and the flimsy construction of the device kept bothering me. Oh and on the bothering side, no camera button at all, I did not realize how annoying it would be to constantly have to find the camera app to take pictures. Seriously, I got the no flash thing but no hard button for the camera is basically saying we forgot it had a camera.

I got a HTC G2 instead, much better design and solid hardware. The N900 is my on the go Linux terminal now.
The SGS is a replacement for the N900 as both are phones and will be competing for your pocket and your charger. But both do separate things.... separately.

1) Storage on the SGS is pretty good, its more than decent. I dont know why you only have 128mb?!? N900 is more superior with the 32GB's but only a mobile device you should store all your Apps and favourite media into the internal 16GBs, but leave the external for your videos, video recording, songs you dont listen to that often (eg ringtones), and misc (eg/ psx iso).
2) No keyboard .... it makes me cringe every day
3) SGS has the best screen on any phone (lots of pixels, high pixel density, clearest blacks, vibrant colours, no power drain, visible outdoors) but it still has its flaws such as PENTILE DISPLAY!!! and LOW BRIGHTNESS compared to TFTs/IPS.
4) I love camera buttons but I've gotten used to not having it, cause I keep the App on the AppBar (like on iOS) so its just as effective. It'll grow on you.
5) No LED-flash is a bummer, I remember how useful my LG U8360 phone was just because I could hold down the (-) button and get it to act as a mini-torch.
6) You cannot argue with the G2, but if (if only) Samsung wasn't stupid and they released the EPIC 4G with a GSM+3G version ... it would instantly be the best available phone for the android-masses

both are very good phones but the galaxy s has a lower radiation levels than the n900
they both have low radiation levels compared to other phones on the market .
Galaxy S Sar Levels
Nokia N900 Sar Levels

The Following User Says Thank You to monno2000 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900-fail-wail