Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Still, I feel like these are theoretical comparisons. The question at the end of the day, is how does the users' experience compare?

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Agreed. I would take a 'wait and see' approach, as these are paper comparisons, and people's wants/needs tend to vary.

}:^)~

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well you would have to optimize the operating system for each platform of course.
Yeah, implementation is the key.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Nokia N900 vs Google Nexus One comparison

Flash: Dual-LED vs Single-LED
HSDPA: 10.2Mpbs vs 7.2Mpbs
SoC: OMAP3 vs Snapdragon 8250

Correct me if I'm "wrong", but what's so special about the Nexus? Even Moto Droid, Sammy Omnia HD and HTC HD2 are all better hardware wise.
Ok , I aint no fanboy , but thats just one side of things !
Flash: 32GB vs 512MB
Flash memory - I don't think many people bother about internal, they get 8GB SD and it supports upto 32GB.. so its more than enough for an average user.
M5 vs A2.1 - we all know for end user, A2.1 is more matured(verrrry less bugs/more freatures) and user friendly(currently).

3.7 inch OLED(AMOLED)/capacitive screen - games sucks on resistive( we have keyboard on N900 but certainly its not as good as Touch Pro 2 )

Virtual memory: 768MB vs 512MB
I hope you are joking.

Virtual memory is != hardware RAM, No other mobile currently has 512MB of RAM

very thin compared to N900 but kinda ugly IMO

I am kind of sure N900 camera is way better compared to Nexus.

About Hardware keyboard, well majority of the people are willing to sacrifice keyboard for slimness. iPhone is a good example.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Make sure to factor in the community to you purchasing decision. Read some threads here about the community and see if this is the right one for you.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Nexus One vs Nokia n900, what would you recommend? I am thinking of buying Nokia n900 which is a computer. That is what I need. Is Nexus One any match for Nokia n900?
N900. Nexus sounds great but it lacks a keyboard. What is wrong with all these copy-cats !!. Moto and RIM get it - You need a REAL keyboard.

Originally Posted by Satz View Post
I hope you are joking.

Virtual memory is != hardware RAM, No other mobile currently has 512MB of RAM
It doesn't matter that virtual memory does not equal to hardware RAM. The more virtual memory, the better. One thing doesn't disqualify the other.

"Virtual memory is a computer system technique which gives an application program the impression that it has contiguous working memory (an address space), while in fact it may be physically fragmented and may even overflow on to disk storage." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory]

No amount of RAM is infinite.

Unfortunately, as of the amount of RAM, the Nexus is manufactured by HTC and use Snapdragon chips (which means the RAM number is most likely less in reality). [http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...05&#post369305]

Say whatever you want, but I don't trust either of these companies.

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-12-24 at 14:41.

Uh huh. That's an opinion not shared by the entirety of the market. Personally I think Google (if they can be assigned the credit) has done better here. There are (good) phones running android with and without keyboards. Personally, I have an n800 (and a 770), but passed on the n810(for multiple reasons) and may just wait until the first M6 devices before I dabble in Maemo again.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
It doesn't matter that virtual memory does not equal to hardware RAM. The more virtual memory, the better. One thing doesn't disqualify the other.
[/url]]
True, true, perhaps a better way to represent the comparison would have been:

n900
256MB RAM (DRAM), 512MB virtual memory (flash)

Nexus
512MB RAM, 0 MB virtual memory.

The question to me is, since this is a allocation of available flash as virtual memory is a software feature (isn't it?), what's to stop implementing some virtual memory on android? I mean that's was done on in OS2008, on my n800 I can go to the control panel and allocate anywhere from 16MB to 128MB of the internal flash to virtual memory. Adding (higher speed) DRAM, on the other hand, is most certainly not a software fix and may not be doable even by the wielders of the soldering iron.

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
True, true, perhaps a better way to represent the comparison would have been:

n900
256MB RAM (DRAM), 512MB virtual memory (flash)

Nexus
512MB RAM, 0 MB virtual memory.

The question to me is, since this is a allocation of available flash as virtual memory is a software feature (isn't it?), what's to stop implementing some virtual memory on android? I mean that's was done on in OS2008, on my n800 I can go to the control panel and allocate anywhere from 16MB to 128MB of the internal flash to virtual memory. Adding (higher speed) DRAM, on the other hand, is most certainly not a software fix and may not be doable even by the wielders of the soldering iron.
That's the problem. There is nearly no internal flash at all on the Nexus, and where are you supposed to save the apps after the allocation?