Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
When posting facts be sure to post ALL ( Added info for you ) of the info not just portions because someone will call ******** on it. We all love the phone, but posting inaccurate/misleading information is just unnecessary.
Technically in that case you have to also include the dedicated DSPs that the N900 and the other Cortex using phones use. And even then it's confusing (considering that 1 Ghz Snapdragon is doing CPU, Video, and Sound) while on the N900 that 600 Mhz is doing purely CPU work, video is handled by a dedicated DSP and sound is handled by a dedicated DSP.

Originally Posted by IZOKAO View Post
I have tried ovi map 3.0 and didnt work for me . Ovi 1 sucks !! and no google maps????
i was so excited to get my n900 and use navigation ,internet , phone etc... but everything had some problem... it was woow and also disappinted. personelly i didnt love it and return my n900 ... its better to wait little longer and get something works in many way better....
no google maps , no ovi 3.0 map (ovi 1.0 doesnt do anything just driving crazy ) , w/tmobile poor signal cant do anything (fort myers , florida)... is there fm transmitter ?? yes but doesnt transmit well... get a fm transmitter for $20 better than n900.... thick like computer and battery life is poor... touchscreen is okay but still not comparable to iphone .... trying to return it and delete all the data but didnt have factory resetting... dont pay for something is not complete... there is more bad stuff about it ... you will see when you pay it and use it.
i just returned my n900 and using n95 .. still happy
Ovi Maps 3.0 is Symbian only. The Ovi Maps 1.0 is the Maemo version.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Omicron Ceti
Yeah so I've been playing with my bf's Nexus One(not the t mo version) for a few days. Love the screen and it IS fast(youtube is smooth as butter) but I seriously loathe Android(no reboots or anything, just hate interface). Coming from Maemo '08(n800s and n770s) standpoint there is no comparison. If it had Maemo I'd keep it for myself, but with Android...he can have it.

At least shipping was fast, literally is next day with fedex.

Aesthetically speaking N1 is not THAT ugly and certainly not as ugly as the iFone. It's solid, and the camera is pretty good considering HTCs bad record on that front.
The screen is super nice and accurate although a bit sensitive.
Battery life is okay if in heavy use(about a day and a half with wifi) but nothing to write home about. Plus the device does get a bit warm after heavy use(such as video playback). Probably due to the ghz clock speed.

Have not used M5, but looking at friends n900 it just felt small, especially the screen. I guess with resistive touch it wouldn't matter so much anyway.

I'm holding out to see what the HTC HD2(4.3 capacitive screen yay, WinMo not so much yay) will be like, if it sucks I'll have to go with the n900.

BTW Love all the BladeRunner references earlier, my number one favorite movie.

Last edited by Alex Krycek; 2010-01-15 at 10:06.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
While you and I are mostly on the same side here PowerUser I have 2 points:

Almost nobody pays $600 for any android phone out now... so learning to "live" with it isn't as costly as the N900.

And, despite the overhead, Android's platform does give an advantage.. and that advantage is portability. Now, a similar thing can be accomplished using python/perl/ruby on the N900, but also with a similar (albet not as steep) overhead to the applications in going through an interpreter.

You have to realize that Nokia and Apple both selected hardware that they designed specifically for, and have built their OS around that hardware and optimized it. In the case of Android and Google, however, google didn't and doesn't want to do hardware. (This may change with the Nexus One). Therefore, what Google has done is make it extremely easy for any handheld making company out there to design whatever phone they want... compile the raw linux kernel and Davlik VM onto it.. and run Android.

In practice, there has been headaches with the "Apps will just run!" theory behind this approach, as is evident by the many comments in the market: "Doesn't work on XYZ device, force closes all the time", etc. However, it's far more versatile than Maemo.

With Maemo, not just the operating system would need to be recompiled for the new hardware, but also nearly every C++/Qt/GTK app that runs on it would also need to be recompiled... unless you use one of the languages above - at a cost.

So yes, there is a benefit, and Google's decision to move that way does make sense for their business model for Android.. but in the process they have distanced Android so greatly from Linux that it barely resembles a distant relative.

I still that the most accurate description at this point is that, Yes, Android is Linux. Android is not, however, GNU/Linux - and in this day and age "linux" and "GNU/Linux" have become nearly interchangeable. So since social norms have Linux == GNU/Linux, Android != GNU/Linux, Android != Linux.
Awesome! I was saving my thoughts for someone that understands.

Not only does Android lack the GNU/Linux userland utils but THE GNU LIBC as well. Although it is possible to make the GNU libc available to apps on android you still lose binary compatibility. Also certain I/O stuff is patched out of functionality IN THE KERNEL. (So even the Linux Kernel aspect of Android Linux is not a vanilla linux.)

I understand the theory of application compatibility and backwards compatibility across multiple hardware platforms and versions, but I would maintain n900 and maemo to be superior to nexus one with one exception. Nexus one come with all the not free and not open source google apps for android such as maps, talk, calendar, gmail, latitude, voice, and etc. I would the n900 very much but I do not have the luxury of affording both devices financially and from a tech tool and not a tech toy (i am a hobby programmer) perspective those google apps make the sale, not the hardware. (WebGL on n900 is beautiful.)

There is hope however. I have unconfirmed source that if you buy Nexus One direct from google unsubsidized (unlike say buying Droid through Verizon) rooting requires no hacking only activation and warranty disclaimer, and a multi-os bootloader is even provided!!! How long before someone ports debian to nexus one?

p.s. Snapdragon might be slower even at higher clock speeds, and be the only processor in the nexus one as opposed to n900s dedicated gpu, it is worth mentioning that this version of snapdragon is a multi-core processor with full support for OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics, same as the GPU on n900! I checked the part number from the Nexus One specs on google's site against the data sheet on the Khronos Group's website myself!

Originally Posted by genericusernamehere View Post
Not only does Android lack the GNU/Linux userland utils but THE GNU LIBC as well. Although it is possible to make the GNU libc available to apps on android you still lose binary compatibility. Also certain I/O stuff is patched out of functionality IN THE KERNEL. (So even the Linux Kernel aspect of Android Linux is not a vanilla linux.)
I kept looking for information like that that proved Android's kernel was actually a modified kernel and not true linux. Can you provide a source? That is excellent information.

I understand the theory of application compatibility and backwards compatibility across multiple hardware platforms and versions, but I would maintain n900 and maemo to be superior to nexus one with one exception. Nexus one come with all the not free and not open source google apps for android such as maps, talk, calendar, gmail, latitude, voice, and etc.
Currently you are correct. The n900 apps don't seem to compare (re: the ones you listed). General consensus is that the map software is really lackluster for the n900. However, gmail is just a mail app like any mail app. The N900 has several to choose from and being a near-to-identical debian system many more are possible.. some of which I'm sure can even support push. I think Gmail allows you to configure a pop or imap access to it, does it not?

I am unfamiliar with the N900's version of "Calendar".. so cannot compare - but what is Latitude? Never heard of it.

But .. the one thing to note on this is that these are all being worked on by Nokia, AFAIK, and will be released at some point. Thus, in the end, unless google makes these apps somehow even better over the next while - you'll have the same functionality in the N900 as the Nexus One with all the other benefits that you list in the N900 already.

There is hope however. I have unconfirmed source that if you buy Nexus One direct from google unsubsidized (unlike say buying Droid through Verizon) rooting requires no hacking only activation and warranty disclaimer, and a multi-os bootloader is even provided!!! How long before someone ports debian to nexus one?
This, I would love to see. I'm not being sarcastic.. I'd really love to see this.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Does the ONE support LEAP?

So What is the result ??
Who is the winner !!

Nexus One or Nokia n900 ???

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by altmeme View Post
So What is the result ??
Who is the winner !!

Nexus One or Nokia n900 ???
Like all non-trivial questions, the only real answer is:

It Depends.

It depends on what you're looking for. It depends on whether or not you want/need command line access. It depends on whether or not you want to have to jailbreak the device to get full access to its underlying functionalities. It depends on whether or not you want/need full X (and whether or not you hate X for the absolute trash of a window rendering system that it is). It depends on whether or not you want/need a hardware keyboard. It depends on whether or not you want/need true persistent background apps. It depends on whether or not you want/need a full browser vs a mobile (but finger friendly) browser. It depends on how much you value screen rotation. It depends on how much value you put into proportions of open vs closed code. It depends on how much you value integration with which cloud services. ... and the list goes on.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2010-01-23 at 02:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
And, it looks like you don't have to choose. You can get the benefits of the N900, combined with the benefits of Android.

Now we just need to get VMWare to release the ARM software they demoed on the N800 a while back, and you could run both (and Ubuntu-ARM and/or Mer) at the same time.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
I was in the same dilemma, except it was the HD2 instead of the N1.
Here are some comparison shots.
To be honest with you, I bought the Nexus One so I wouldn't have a dead end community-supported phone like the N900, even though I still want it primarily as an internet browsing and movie watching gadget.
The N900 is infinitely more versatile than the Nexus One, and actually fits the description of a mobile computer or UMPC, since it has a full Linux OS and a bustling community full of ideas and applications, as well as a great feature list that is still relevant a year after release.

I have to say, however, that the Nexus One is more suited to the job of being a typical everyday smartphone. Making calls, immediate cloud service integration, managing your schedule, keeping in touch with family, navigation, etc. all perform much better than they do on the N900. I have had some remorse in the I didn't buy the N900 because the N1 didn't seem capable of downloading torrents, watching videos without conversion, browsing the full web, being able to use a precise stylus for UI navigation, etc. However, I have found many applications that do just that and lessen the longing that I admittedly still have for the N900.

The N900 overall seems much less smartphone focused and more media/web/tinkering focused. The phone aspect is no more integrated into the N900 than any other application on the phone, because it just isn't one. The 32GB of storage, BT keyboard support, upcoming USB host functionality, full linux kernel, programming community, FM transmitter, resistive touchscreen, hardware QWERTY, multitasking (!!!!), Carl Zeiss camera (that is much better than the Nexus One, even though it records in 720p), geek appeal and Skype video calling integration are features that no phone can do better than the N900.

It depends on what you prioritize, really. Want a phone that "just works" and is amazingly intuitive (more so than the N900) and faster to use?
Get the Nexus One.
Want everything else?
Get the N900.
Both are purchases that nobody will regret a few years down the line.

Edit: Sorry for the necropost. Still, relevant to people who have to make this tough decision.
Q6600 @ 3.41GHz - Corsair DHX 4GB DDR2 - WD SE16 500GB + WD GP 1TBx2 - EVGA GTX 285 - Asus VW222U Widescreen

Last edited by hackm0d; 2010-07-06 at 07:01.